Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,296 Words
  • 611 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 241. Chapter 241

This is part 3

I spent a lot of time with the guys. I knew this would be the last time I would ever see them. We sketched each other and I did a sketch of the three of them. That one I will take home.

I thought we would spend no more than two weeks in Paris, but Colin had other ideas. He called Charley. Charley and his two sons arrived, from that moment on the only time I saw Charley was at Grandmere’s home for breakfast. My friends took care of them and sometimes that bothered me. Colin was happy and in the evening he would show me the plans and assured me that the front of the cottage wouldn’t change. What was a small cottage was becoming a facade of a small cottage. The drawings show an extension of the small kitchen towards the rear of the property. Where the steps to the basement existed, would be a small one-person elevator that would be extended to the second floor. Reminded me of the kitchen elevator in the Home.

The dining room was extended, and The living room was extended. From the living room, was a doorway to steps to the second floor. There the bedrooms were extended, the master bedroom had a bathroom added, and of course, the bedrooms were enlarged. And without saying anything, I knew there would be bunk beds. Colin was happy but now the question of hiring workers. Mere was a great help here. I remembered the worker at the Louvre who helped with the installation of Michael on the mausoleum.

I needed to make a trip to the Louvre. I needed to find this man who helped me to hang Saint Michael.

I waited at the entrance to the workman’s entrance.

I looked at each man as they entered and heard, “There you are. I have been looking for you.”

Looking toward the voice there was my helper but he had a young man with him.

The usual hug, “I looked for you all over. You left your money in my truck.”

“That wasn’t my money. That was your pay for helping me hang my painting. I don’t think I could have done it without your help. And now I have another job for you.”

“Hanging more paintings?”

“No, my son owns a cottage here and it is to be expanded. When you have some time, I’d like to take you there.”

“Let’s go now. This is my oldest son. I was going to see if he could get a job here.”

“You never got a new truck.”

“No, this one runs fine.”

I asked his son if he had ever seen the painting his dad helped to hang. He said no, “You’ll see it now.”

Driving to the mausoleum, the young man asked his father a lot of questions. I listened, The money was gone and the young boy wanted to know how his dad was going to raise the money to give to me. I could detect a concern in his voice.

I was ready to say something when we were at the mausoleum. Getting out of the truck, I told the young boy how his dad helped me hang the painting. Looking at the painting brought back memories of Carl and I working together. And now Carl is an outstanding artist.

 

Back in the truck, there were a few questions but Dad said he would tell him later. Half an hour later we arrived at the cottage. Walking around the back, I introduced Colin and Charley. “Colin, this is the man who helped me to hang Michael, and this is his son. You need to explain the project to him.”

Colin got the drawings and for the next two hours, they discussed the drawings, took several tours, and finally came to an agreement.

Charley will stay to update the drawings, Colin will stay as an interpreter. That is what he said. I, of course, laughed. I have said this before, Colin missed his calling, he should have been a contractor.

We were drinking coffee in the small dining room when Pierre and Colette arrived. “Pop, can you show Colette the expansion plans?”

And for the next 45 minutes, Colin showed her the plans. When he was finished I heard her whisper to Pierre who were the rest of these people. I looked at Colin, and mouthed ‘introductions’ to him.

When he was done, “Dad, Colette has to leave. I wanted her to see the changes.”

I watched as Pierre walked her to her car, holding hands. I turned away when I knew he was going to kiss her.

Mere baked a cake, a special cake. Pierre had arranged for me to fly home in the company plane, and Colin would stay until the project was finished. So with my cake, saying goodbye to the guys at Grandmere’s house, I left for home. Pierre said he would notify Ronnie of my flight plans.

It was strange to fly alone. It was the first time since my summer break from college.. One nice thing was that the stewardess sat with me. I had to give her a small slice of cake. She said Pierre always had some baked cookies or rolls when he traveled from Paris to New York.

I was concerned about going through customs with the cake. The stewardess said she would help. She did this by offering the customs guy a piece of cake. She said it was a going away gift and it would be a shame to toss it. Saying that she cut him a piece, and for a moment my heart was in my throat. He passed us but said he would want another piece when she boarded. She laughed.

Clearing customs, there was Ronnie. I introduced my stewardess to him. She asked him for a ride to her hotel, no problem. I wanted to get home as fast as possible, so the delay to the hotel bothered me a little.

Arriving home, I took the cake, removed the top layer, removed a cardboard cut out and there were the coins. Ronnie’s eyes popped open. “Dad, that must be a fortune in gold coins.”

“This is why Christian wanted the cottage. Pierre’s grandfather, ‘Arnaud’, gave these coins to Pierre’s mother as her share. I’ll put them in Pop’s safe and when we get a chance we will take them to the bank.”

“You are lucky you got them through customs.”

“The stewardess helped. Go make some coffee, we need to eat this cake.”

“Call Richie. He wanted to know when you came home and where is Pop?”

“I’ll tell you when Richie arrives. Make coffee, I’m going to take a quick shower.”

Walking into the kitchen, Richie and his two boys were eating cake. Ronnie poured coffee for us and chocolate milk for the boys. “Good cake, right?” The grins said it all.

“I’m glad you’re back Dad but where is Pop.”

“He’s supervising a remodel to Pierre’s cottage.”

“Dad, is it okay if we take some of this cake home?

“Yes, just leave a small piece for David.”

“Where is David? He’s usually always here.”

Ronnie whispered, “On a date.”

“And the last standing man has fallen.”

“Do you know who he’s dating?”

“Yes, one of the librarians at the high school. He met her at Yale. I’m very happy for him.”

“He and Pierre are the last to fall.”

“Don’t forget Gerry.”

“Gerry is working on his new secretary.”

“Who is going to get married first”

“My money is on Gerry and David last.”

I thought about their choices but I think David will get married first. I would like to see all of my children married and happy.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 23
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

@CLJobe, you said a few weeks ago that you had hoped to finish this saga by Christmas, 😢 but that reader's comments had you writing more than you intended (aww). Nice chapter Cal (with few? More? Many more? Plus epilogue to come? Eventually. OR, could it be the never ending story, as Book II explores the 'boys' continuing Armand & Colin's 'mission'. With some help 🐦) .

Things in Paris almost settled. Pierre's (and soon to be épouse or wife Collette) cottage expanded into a larger home with room for lots of children (and direct access to 'hidden' basement and other treasures?). Armand hires Louvre worker (who helped hang Arnaud's guardian angel Michael on his mausoleum) and his son to renovate Pierre's 'home'. 

Colin stays behind in Paris to oversee construction? Leaving Armand to fly home alone? These two are seldom separated! 

On flight home flight attendant serves Armand slice from 'special' cake Pierre's (honourary) Mere baked. With a surprise! So someone knows where same of the 'Royal Treasury' hides?

Reminds me of birthday cakes my Nana 'Grandmere' made when I was a child. There was a coin baked inside, and whoever got the coin in their slice, got their wish.

GIF by Demic

Is this the 'crowning' touch? 👑

🫂 

  • Love 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mansexlover said:

Where were the coins before they were hidden in the cake?

I missed this as well, where were the coins found???

  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
On 12/9/2023 at 8:36 AM, akascrubber said:

Armand and Colin are making a good and lasting impression on their friends in Paris. The three in Grandmere's house and Armand  have drawings to reinforce their good memories. Colin is making the plans to expand the cottage. Pierre and his gf are happy to see the plans. Armand found trusted workers to expand the cottage. Christian was ignored and became a non-entity. Colin stayed behind to finish the building renovation. Armand made it home with more hidden coins for Pierre and his inheritance is secure. Armand is hoping his last sons' are going to get married. He is very pleased at the prospect. What a happy , large family. They are living well with no regrets.

Armand has tied up some loose ends in Paris. He has given Pierre a beautiful home that Pierre will enjoy in remembrance of Armand and Colin.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 12/9/2023 at 8:41 AM, mikedup said:

The family  has grown up and are in process of "flying the nest" not they are moving very far what with the compound at the house,

But by the same token the family is also expanding, , love conquers all

You have discovered the secret that ruled Armand and Colin's life, love. Love freely given, and more than freely returned 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 12/9/2023 at 8:53 AM, weinerdog said:

Clever move with the coins. Armand left Paris without speaking to Christian. It's good to see that all the boys who are old enough are going to be married before Armand and Colin make thier final stop

I think it's called tying up loose ends. The guys wanted to see their children settled

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 3
Link to comment
On 12/9/2023 at 9:48 AM, chris191070 said:

The family is growing up, they will soon all be married. Clever move to get the coins home.

Yes and Armand almost had a heart attack at customs when the stewardess offered a piece of cake.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 12/9/2023 at 10:20 AM, mansexlover said:

Where were the coins before they were hidden in the cake?

They were hidden in the chimney of the fireplace in the cottage.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
22 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

@CLJobe, you said a few weeks ago that you had hoped to finish this saga by Christmas, 😢 but that reader's comments had you writing more than you intended (aww). Nice chapter Cal (with few? More? Many more? Plus epilogue to come? Eventually. OR, could it be the never ending story, as Book II explores the 'boys' continuing Armand & Colin's 'mission'. With some help 🐦) .

Things in Paris almost settled. Pierre's (and soon to be épouse or wife Collette) cottage expanded into a larger home with room for lots of children (and direct access to 'hidden' basement and other treasures?). Armand hires Louvre worker (who helped hang Arnaud's guardian angel Michael on his mausoleum) and his son to renovate Pierre's 'home'. 

Colin stays behind in Paris to oversee construction? Leaving Armand to fly home alone? These two are seldom separated! 

On flight home flight attendant serves Armand slice from 'special' cake Pierre's (honourary) Mere baked. With a surprise! So someone knows where same of the 'Royal Treasury' hides?

Reminds me of birthday cakes my Nana 'Grandmere' made when I was a child. There was a coin baked inside, and whoever got the coin in their slice, got their wish.

GIF by Demic

Is this the 'crowning' touch? 👑

🫂

The cake looks good. Could you send me a piece, without the coins? This story is coming to a close. It was a good ride and I wish everyone has a relationship with their partner that is exemplified by Armand and Colin.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
22 hours ago, drsawzall said:

I missed this as well, where were the coins found???

In the fireplace in the living room. They found the chimney blocked and removed the blockage, ergo the container of coins.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 3
Link to comment
On 12/9/2023 at 8:34 AM, Anton_Cloche said:

@CLJobe, you said a few weeks ago that you had hoped to finish this saga by Christmas, 😢 but that reader's comments had you writing more than you intended (aww). Nice chapter Cal (with few? More? Many more? Plus epilogue to come? Eventually. OR, could it be the never ending story, as Book II explores the 'boys' continuing Armand & Colin's 'mission'. With some help 🐦) .

Things in Paris almost settled. Pierre's (and soon to be épouse or wife Collette) cottage expanded into a larger home with room for lots of children (and direct access to 'hidden' basement and other treasures?). Armand hires Louvre worker (who helped hang Arnaud's guardian angel Michael on his mausoleum) and his son to renovate Pierre's 'home'. 

Colin stays behind in Paris to oversee construction? Leaving Armand to fly home alone? These two are seldom separated! 

On flight home flight attendant serves Armand slice from 'special' cake Pierre's (honourary) Mere baked. With a surprise! So someone knows where same of the 'Royal Treasury' hides?

Reminds me of birthday cakes my Nana 'Grandmere' made when I was a child. There was a coin baked inside, and whoever got the coin in their slice, got their wish.

GIF by Demic

Is this the 'crowning' touch? 👑

🫂

My Gran did the same with a King cake @ Maudi Gras time , We loved it dearly 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..