Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,187 Words
  • 793 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 225. Chapter 225

I had a hard time when I turned 50 and I was having a hard time when I realized in five more years we will be 65. Colin seemed to accept this much better than I did. He turned the business over to Richie, who promptly hired a graduate of Yale’s business school. I laughed at Colin, every time Richie would stop at the house Colin would ask about the business. He would invite Richie into his office for a conference. I’m not sure what they discussed but Richie always left with a smile.

He was more involved with the club business than his other business.

With the children growing up and starting college, the house seemed empty. I spent a lot of time at the Home. Just when I thought everything was going well, Roger returned home from Paris. He didn’t look well, I was looking at 65, and Roger was looking at 95.

Pat had moved into the Home, and I convinced Roger to let his apartment go and move in with Colin and me. We had the bedroom on the first floor that Pat occupied. It took some talking but he soon agreed and the boys moved him. He had a lot of paintings from students over the years and agreed to hang them in the gallery but not for sale. I thought it was a great idea, and we advertised the showing of Professor Roger Steiner, Director of Painting, Yale University School of Arts, private collection. The day the gallery opened with the collection, Roger, Carl, and I were present. There were art critics present but the greatest joy for Roger was the students who painted these canvases attended the opening, it was like homecoming.

Jean made the trip for the opening and I knew it would be his last trip. For the next several days, we would sit in our living room, remembering and reliving our pasts together. When Jean let us return to Paris, I knew and so did Roger, that would be the last time we would see Jean.

Six months after Jean had visited us, Christian called to say Jean was in the hospital and it didn’t look good. There was no way Roger could fly, he wasn’t doing well and the news of Jean being hospitalized took a lot out of him. Colin rented a plane and the three of us flew over. I had flashbacks of Grandmere, seeing Jean lying there in the hospital bed hooked up to a drip and on ventilation.

Standing by his bed, he reached and took Roger’s hand, “See you upstairs.”

The doctor and nurses rushed in, I had to leave. This was a re-enactment of Grandmere’s death. Now Jean is gone. The only one left is Roger. Taking one look at Roger I knew it wouldn’t be long until he would join Arnaud and Jean.

Christian had Jean interred in Arnaud’s mausoleum. He said his dad wanted it that way and left instructions.

We flew home the same day of Jean’s interment.

Arriving home, sitting in the living room, we remembered Arnaud and Jean over a glass of wine. I watched Roger, he looked tired. Colin helped him to bed, I needed to talk to GG.

The next morning, Roger appeared in a good mood. He complimented Charles on breakfast, calling him Chef Boy. That led to reliving those days when Chef Boy prepared our meals at Grandmere’s house.

That evening after Roger turned in for the night, Colin and I discussed what we would do if Roger passed away. “I don’t know if he has any plans for his interment.”

“You can’t ask him.”

“I won’t but I know who will tell me,”

That night when I heard the rocking chair I asked GG. “He has no plans, no arrangements have been made. You and Colin have no plans either. You need to think about this while you can and have time to plan.”

In the morning before Roger joined us, I told Colin he didn’t have any plans.

Colin left as Roger arrived at the breakfast table. Charles set a crepe with scrambled egg before him and a cup of coffee. Sitting with us, he asked about Jean. I could see the tears in Roger’s eyes, “Jean is with Arnaud now.” I handed Roger a paper napkin as I pulled him onto my shoulder.

Looking at Charles I mouthed he would be okay. I knew Charles felt bad, we didn’t tell him last night.

The boys started to wake up and the noise level rose. Charles started making crepes for the boys, David came in and started with the orange juice and coffee. I helped Roger to the living room. Pierre brought me a cup of coffee, and Gerry brought Roger a cup.

I sat next to Roger on the sofa, with my arm around him, and let him talk.

“He was a good friend. Many nights we sat in the living room with a bottle of wine. He was married once. When his wife died, art became his new mistress. We laughed at some of the crazy art he found. Did you know there is an attic in the Louvre? He took me there, it was very dirty and contained several broken art pieces. He said most of it came from Africa, Egypt especially. I miss him. Arnaud is gone, Jean is gone and soon I’ll be gone as well. I’m old, you know. You were a good student. I especially liked our discussions. I knew I could count on you to stir things up.”

He became quiet. “Dad, here is a fresh cup of coffee. Is he sleeping?”

“Yes, I’ll hold him until he wakes.”

The boys left for school, Colin left for work, so he said. He turned the business over to Richie but he would go in every morning and then head for the club. I would see him for lunch either at home or the club.

Roger slept for about an hour. When he awoke, he was in a better frame of mind. That could only happen if he met GG. That was when I heard the creaking rocking chair.

We had lunch at the Home. I watched Roger, the children called him grandfather. He would look at me and smile.

Pepe told them that Grandfather taught art at Yale. They all knew about Yale. The lifeguards were from Yale.

I’m not sure who mentioned it to the children, they came with crayon drawings to show Grandfather. I watched as Roger praised each of them. He would remark on the colors and their style and then he would sign their drawing, approved by Professor Steinor, Yale University. I knew what was next. They wanted to frame it. Pepe looked at me, I nodded yes. I knew in a few days I would need to visit some rooms to see hanging pictures of crayon art.

For the rest of the week, we had lunch at the Home and dinner at the club. On occasion, Pat would go with us to the club.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 18
  • Sad 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A little bit of a sad chapter, time stops for no-one it is a relentless march towards the end of life for each of us , Roger no doubt will pass on very soon , Armand is realising that he is getting into the older age of his and Colin's lives , that they have made an impact on many people is not in any doubt, the children really know how to lift the spirits of everyone, an awesome chapter 

  • Love 5
Link to comment
On 10/24/2023 at 3:27 PM, weinerdog said:

Nice chapter if not a little melancholy.Had no idea Roger was 95 he didn't get cheated. Would Colin and Armand be considered too old to adopt now? What I would like to see is the first group of kids like Tommy,Ronnie etc. continue Armand and Colin's tradition of adopting the kind of kids that need it

Yes, Armand and Colin felt they were too old to adopt. but they did increase the time they spent at the Home. They were called Dad and Pop.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 10/24/2023 at 3:33 PM, chris191070 said:

Life is moving on. Rodger will be next to go.

.Yes, the last of the three. This will be hard for Armand. Roger was his teacher and friend

  • Love 2
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
On 10/24/2023 at 3:58 PM, akascrubber said:

Things seem to be closing up. Jean has died and has been interred with Arnaud. Armand was great touched by this death.  Colin has turned over his law practice and looks to be involved with the club. Amand has not made any retirement steps. He will be 65 in 5 years. Maybe, he will consider Picasso painted until he was 90.

Roger has moved in with Colin and Armand. He fits in well and the children like to have him judge their creations. GG told Armand that neither Roger nor Colin or Armand have made funeral/burial plans. They need to come to an agreement and make the plans.

Once you know Armand and Colin you automatically get involved with the Home. In a way, every child in the home has been adopted by the boys

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 10/24/2023 at 5:06 PM, JohnnyC said:

Thank You for Saying That Weinerdog ! I was thinking the same thing , I though for sure Ivan would of adopted another Son or Daughter. Growing up on a Farm is work but it’s also very rewarding too . 

Ivan has the older boys from the Home helping him. I think there may be a few farmers among them.

  • Like 2
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment
On 10/24/2023 at 6:19 PM, Anton_Cloche said:

Because of his work at Le Louvre and his connection to Arnaud, I'm not surprised that a arrangements were made for Jean to be provided a crypt or niche for his casket or urn inside the mausoleum.

I am still disappointed Christian has not made time to visit Pierre in the U.S. and apologize for the way he was treated, but at least Arnaud provided for his future life.

Roger will be joining Jean, Arnaud, Grandmere Lavigne and GG 🐦 soon at a Heavenly Gallery, with access to great works of art long since vanished from Earth. Perhaps over glasses of Bordeaux 🍷. But before he departs, he has made some budding Crayon child artists at Angel's Home proud with his 'official' recognition of their drawings: "approved by Professor Steinor, Yale University".

As a lawyer, Colin should have put his and Armand's plans, Wills, Estate etc. in place; especially since it includes law firm, businesses (the Club, Gallery), Angel's Home, Trusts etc.. Not to mention their direct children and grandchildren PLUS their extended family of children at Angel's Home

Nobody likes to think about the inevitable, as it can happen anytime (and without a Will, the Government and Taxman get first crack at everything - boo! 👹 ).

 

Will Music Video GIF by Taylor Swift

 

Thanks for this heart-touching chapter Cal @CLJobe, and your kind words.

🫂

 

I believe the financial accounts are in both names. But there is the possibility of both of them going to meet GG at the same time. Richie needs to get on this.

  • Like 2
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
On 10/24/2023 at 6:21 PM, drsawzall said:

It is important to plan for the eventuality we will all face, and Roger has had a true impact on his students!,,

He did and Armand owes his success to Roger's teaching skills

  • Love 5
Link to comment
On 10/25/2023 at 9:23 PM, mikedup said:

A little bit of a sad chapter, time stops for no-one it is a relentless march towards the end of life for each of us , Roger no doubt will pass on very soon , Armand is realising that he is getting into the older age of his and Colin's lives , that they have made an impact on many people is not in any doubt, the children really know how to lift the spirits of everyone, an awesome chapter 

Thanks. We all progress to the time when we begin to look at our life with a definite end. Our bones and aches tell us we are no longer young men or women. The inevitable end will occur and those left behind will weep but they will also remember.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

I believe the financial accounts are in both names. But there is the possibility of both of them going to meet GG at the same time. Richie needs to get on this.

What 🤯 ! Only two ways Armand and Colin 'depart' at the same time; either an accident (plane crash or fishing boat sinking, and NO WAY you would include collateral 💑🏼 losses), or heart attacks in bed from exertion (because they're ... Older). 

UNLESS they "meet" GG in a shared dream? 

Not time for cliff hangers @CLJobe.

epic fail falling GIF

🫂

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

A sad but inevitable chapter in life.  The sadness will be for those Roger leaves behind.  I believe that Roger will be happy when he is reunited with his friends who have passed before.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..