Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 696 Words
  • 3,261 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 3. Chapter 3

Over the next three months, with Mr. Larkin’s help and a senior named Chas, he became skilled at making his frames. But he wasn’t just satisfied with painted frames. He wanted to make them distinctive. So back to the art supply store, he bought a set of carving knives. On scrap wood, he tried various designs. It wasn’t all smooth and easy work. He learned that deep cuts could cause the frame to break. Over time, after reading about wood carving at the local library, he develops his technique. His first carved frame was a simple carving of a vine with leaves, and he used that frame for one of his oak tree paintings. When he had finished, he looked at the painting and smiled. He had painted a bluebird on one of the limbs. That evening when he showed it to GG, she nodded and smiled. He knew she liked it.

He took it to school that coming Monday to show Miss McNiel and Mr. Larkin. They both complimented him, but Miss McNiel asked if she could borrow it. She told him she wanted her mother to see it.

 

“Mom, you have to see this.”

“That is beautiful. Where did he get the frame.”

“I think he made it. Look how he signed the painting.”

“With an arrow? That is odd. Most artists sign their names or initials. Wait, is that his initials?”

“Yes, I think it is clever, and it’ll still provide him with his desire to remain anonymous.”

“Will he let me try and sell it? I think it will show well.”

“I’ll ask him, but I only borrowed it to show you.”

 

The following day Miss McNeil met with Armand. “Armand, I showed your painting to my mother last night, and she thinks it’ll sell very quickly. Would you like to sell it?”

“I’ll think about it and let you know tomorrow.” Armand wanted to discuss the idea of selling his paintings with his parents and GG.

That night at dinner, Armand told his parents about what Miss McNiel had said.

“Do you want to sell your paintings?”

“I think I do. Isn’t that what famous artists do, sell their paintings?”

“Yes, they do sell their paintings, and that is how they earn their money. I think you should try and sell it, and it’ll give you some idea of what your painting is worth.”

“Do you have the painting here?”

“Yes, upstairs”

“I would like to see it.” Armand ran up to his room and brought the painting to his father,

“I’m impressed. This is a beautiful painting and the frame. Did you make the frame?”

“Yes, I have been working with Mr. Lawson in the woodworking class. The carving I did, I thought it would add to the painting.”

“I see you have signed the painting with an arrow. Have you signed the frame the same way?”

“No, should I?”

“Yes, the frame is an original and should carry your mark.”

Armand was happy that his parents were pleased. Now, if GG concurs, he’ll tell Miss McNiel her mother could sell the painting.

Before he went to bed, Armand carved his arrow in the lower right corner of the frame.

GG was very encouraging of Armand selling the painting, and she told him it would indicate how his work was perceived in the public arena. Secretly she knew he would be a great artist, and this painting just further proved it to her. Now it needed to be proven to him.

The next morning, he took the painting to school. Walking into Miss McNiel’s classroom, he smiled as he gave her the painting, and she hugged him.

That evening after school, she took the painting to her mother’s gallery. “Mom, I talked with Arrow, and he is willing to have you try and sell his painting.”

“Here, we’ll put it here and rather set a price, I’ll have clients bid on it. What do you think a starting bid should be?”

“I’d pay at least 100 dollars for it.”

“Then that’s what we’ll start the starting bidding at.”

“I think Arrow is going to be surprised.”

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 46
  • Love 31
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Let me know when the bidding starts and I'll come over... rather fancy having an original painting. Great chapter... loving our boy.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I think it was a great idea to design the frame that will give him a great extra to improve it price!

  • Like 5
Link to comment

The premise of the story is both unique and interesting.  GG as Arrow's guardian angel is a very endearing idea.  The original picture and frame is a great addition.  It should become his trademark for all his pictures.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..