Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 3,540 Words
  • 1,368 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 143. Chapter 143

That evening I told Colin that Arnaud and Jean were arriving.

“When?”

“Tomorrow. Roger is going to meet them.”

“Good. I didn’t realize how much of a load Dad was handling. Between the business, the club and the City I am bushed when I come home. I promised the boys we would go golfing this week-end. I am hoping they would forget it, giving me one day off.”

“I’ll take the boys golfing.”

“You don’t know how to play.”

“I’ll arrange for them to have a golf lesson. In fact, that would be a good way to give you a few days off.”

At breakfast, I told the boys about getting them golf lessons. “I thought Pop was going to teach us.”

“With Grandfather ill, he is very busy at work. You’ll have fun and with a professional teaching you, you will have a better chance of winning when you do play a game with him.”

“Dad, why didn’t you ever play golf?”

“The game didn’t interest me, maybe it would have been different if Gramps played. I’ll carry your golf bags when you play, how’s that.” That was okay.

We were just finished with breakfast when Roger, Arnaud and Jean burst through the kitchen door.

Startled, Colin jumped up followed by the boys and me. “What are you doing here? You weren’t scheduled to arrive until this afternoon.”

‘He couldn’t wait. He booked a private plane and here we are. I called Roger when we were about to landed, he met us as we cleared customs.”

“Sit and have a cup of coffee. The boys have school and Colin is going to work. The painting isn’t going anywhere.” By this time James and Peter had a cup of coffee with a roll in front of them. Roger and Jean sat down, James and Peter got ready to leave, the boys met them at the car. Now it was just Roger, Arnaud, Jean and I.

“Roger said it was a fantastic painting. I can’t wait to see it. Arnaud, finish your coffee.” We laughed, Arnaud gulped his coffee, sat the empty cup down, grabbed Roger by the arm, stopped. He realized this was his first time in this house and he didn’t know where to go.

“Take your cups and follow me.” Roger knew where to go and we actually followed him.

Walking into my studio, Arnaud came to a fast stop. He looked at the painting, I could see tears in his eyes. I went and stood by Roger letting Jean stand by Arnaud. It was so quiet I heard Marie getting up, then calling my name as she approached the studio. Jean was the first to notice her and hugged her followed by a kiss. That broke Arnaud’s concentration, then he welcomed her as Jean did.

“It’s beautiful isn’t it?” Arnaud didn’t hear her, Roger got a chair, placing it in front of the painting, he guided Arnaud to the chair. “I’d like another cup of coffee.”

Smiling, we left Arnaud in the studio as we went to the kitchen. Arriving, James left a note, ‘more rolls in fridge’. Marie read the note, took the rolls, heated them and sat them on the table. I filled coffee cups with left over coffee and then made a new pot.

‘“Armand, the painting is worthy of being shown in the Louvre.”

“Ask Arnaud to let you show it. I have no problem with this one being put on exhibit.” Jean knew my feelings on my painting of abandon children.

“You should know that this summer your painting will be on loan to MOMA in the city.”

“Let me have the specific dates. I’ll plan our European vacation around those dates. Jean, take a cup of coffee and a roll to Arnaud.

I don’t thing he’ll take a break and come and get his own coffee.”

Roger, Marie and I sat at the breakfast table, as Jean took a tray with two coffees and several rolls to the studio.

“The painting really has affected him. Do you think it’s the painting or a painting of his son.”

“He thinks a lot of his son.”

As we talked in the kitchen, Arnaud and Jean were discussing the painting.

“Arnaud, what is he charging you for this painting?”

“That’s just it. He said he wasn’t going to charge me but let me pay him what I think it’s worth. I don’t have that much money, this painting is worth millions.”

“I don’t think he would be insulted if you gave him ten euros. He is more interested in your opinion.”

“Yes, but this, this painting is worth a lot. What would you bid on it for the museum.”

“I’d go as high as a million, but not more.”

“Not more?”

“No, the museum would be bankrupted. I’d have to get our friends to make a contribution toward my final bid. But this is different for you, it’s not only family but it is a tradition that the senior son’s painting hangs in the Hall of History.”

Since the time of LouisXVI, the eldest sons of Arnaud’s family have had their portrait hanging in the Hall of History.

“I need to bring Christen here so he can help me.”

“We need to see if Roger has a place for us to stay. Maybe after a sleep you won’t be so tired and can think clearly.”

Jean walked back to kitchen to see if Roger can help him find accommodations.

“Roger, we need to find rooms. He’s tired and now wants to bring Christen here.”

“You can stay here. I’ll show you where you and he can stay.”

Walking back toward the studio, I stopped on the second floor and showed Jean the spare bedroom. “Jean, you can sleep here. This door leads to a private bathroom. Arnaud can sleep in a bedroom next to the studio. I’ll show you.” Going to the third floor I showed Jean the bedroom next to the studio. “This is like your bedroom on the second floor.”

Jean went and brought Arnaud’s suitcase to the bedroom.

Roger and I returned to the living room on the first floor. Marie said she was going to the home and would be back in time for dinner. Roger and I chatted about his students who were here yesterday. He said they were impressed with the idea of making their own frames. “I think you gave my requirement about making your own frames a boost. You may get more requests to see some of your work and maybe a few requests for help in making frames.”

“You know I’ll help but there is a price.”

“What?”

“Volunteers at the Home.” Roger laughed.

James brought the boys home I told him I’ll need his and Peter’s help for dinner. I explained about my guests here now and possible another guest arriving.

“Boys, if you have any homework, get that out of the way.”

With a midday snack, they headed to their rooms, but not before saying hello to our guests. Jean took the time to ask them about school, Arnaud said hello and went back to the painting.

When the boys had finished their homework, they were going to ask Dad to run them over to the club. They were going to ask when Peter arrived. Marcel had sent some food over, “Marcel said this will only take an hour to prepare. I’ll start and James will join me but he will need to go back as soon as the food is ready.”

“Peter, the boys can help.” The boys thought that was great. They have taken an interest in cooking. I think that was Colin’s idea.

I was beginning to feel guilty about the agony that Arnaud seemed to be going through. “Roger, maybe I should go and tell him I’ll take the same fee I got for the painting in the Louvre.”

“No, that wouldn’t been fair. He knew the quality of your painting. He has bought one of your paintings and he knew what Jean paid for your painting. He can offer at least that amount, but whatever he offers, accept it.”

I thought that was good advice. Roger has been a guiding light for me. Ever since I sold that first painting, I’ve listen to his advice. I was pouring us another cup of coffee when there was a knock on our door. Opening it, there stood the live version of my painting, “Christen, does your dad know you are here?”

“I talked to him. I was concerned so I hired a private plane. I just arrived.”

“Who brought you here?”

“Hello, Uncle Roger. I took a taxi to the gallery and a woman there showed me how to get here.”

“Come in, care for a coffee and something to eat?”

“I’ll take a coffee and I need to see my father.”

“Roger, will take you to your father, I’ll bring you a coffee.”

I fixed a tray with 5 coffees, carrying them to the studio, I passed Tommy coming toward the kitchen. “Tommy, ask Peter to prepare another pot of coffee.”

“I can do it.” “Okay.”

Walking into the studio, Christen was standing in front of his painting. “Christen, what do you think?”

“I’m confused. I love the painting but I never thought I looked like that in those clothes. It reminds me of a king. You are an unbelievable talented artist. Dad, are you going hang this in the Hall?”

“Yes, that was my intent. But now I have to find a way to pay for it.”

“I don’t understand.”

“When I asked Armand to paint this, he said he would do it and I could pay him what I thought it was worth. Now, I can’t afford it.

“I still don’t understand. If you thought it was worth 1000 Euros, he would accept that for payment.”

“Look at the painting. That is real gold and silver, the frame alone is worth more than a 1000 Euro.”

“I would give him our house, but he wouldn’t take it and I can’t offer it as it is yours.”

“How about the house on the Loire.”

“ That house is owned by the family. The only house I owned exclusively is the Villa in southern France.”

“Offer him that, if it will ease your conscious. I am the only one who uses it when I go skiing.”

“That was to be a part of your wedding gift.”

“If you gave it to him, I’ll still be able to use it. All we will have to do is ask him. I’m sure he would agree.”

“I need to think this over. You wouldn’t mind giving up the villa?”

“No, I’ll bet I’ll be able to use it anytime I want.”

I was listening to this discussion and thanking Madam Lavigne for teaching me French.

Tommy came to the studio to tell me dinner was ready and Dad will be here soon. He called from the club and said he’s on his way.

“Gentlemen, I have been told dinner is ready.”

As we descended to the dining room, the front door opened, Colin and Marie joined us.

“Just in time for dinner.”

“Give us a few minutes to clean up. We’ll join you for drinks in the living room.”

As the group assembled. Arnaud’s change in attitude was noticed by Roger and Armand. “Arnaud, you are feeling better?”

“Yes, I was concerned at first what the painting was worth and I didn’t know how I would pay you. I know, I know you said I would set the fee. But in all honestly, the painting is worth millions. One, because it is my son and two, the painting is above any I have ever seen. Even better than the one you have hanging in the Louvre. I would like to offer you a villa I own in the south of France. It is at the border with Italy. I don’t use it. Christen vacations there when he goes skiing.”

I knew I had to accept it. “Thank you, Arnaud. I accept the villa in payment for the painting.”

From that point on, it was like old times. Colin had to make a wine run to the club, the food was excellent and the camaraderie was re-establish.

I showed Christen the guest bedroom on the first floor. I asked Roger if he wanted to stay over. He laughed and said he had a short walk to his bed. “Make sure you are here for breakfast.”

With all of the wine that was drunk, our visitors needed help to get to bed. Shoes off, they were dumped in bed, clothes and all.

In our bed, “I don’t think I’ll ever do that again.”

“Do what?”

“Have the client set the price of a contracted painting.”

“You did okay with that.”

“No I didn’t. Arnaud went through hell thinking how he could pay for his painting. It wasn’t until Christen mentioned the villa that Arnaud relaxed.”

“What are you going to do with the villa?”

“We are going to give it to Christen as a wedding gift.”

“I love you.”

“Thanks, I love you also, and I did.”

Morning brought a new attitude among our guests. Roger showed up with Mary and crating supplies for the portrait. “Arnaud, how are going to get the painting home?”

“I’ll make arrangements with a private airline. I’m not letting that painting out of my sight.”

I chuckled, “You know when you hang that painting your family will want to know who painted it and what you paid to have it done. The frame won’t be like the others and they will want to know why you agreed to that frame. I think you will have family problems.”

“What would you do if they want you to paint a copy of their portraits in the Hall?’

“I’ll charge them and based on your evaluation of Christen’s painting, they may have to think it over.”

“Dad, you don’t have to tell them what you paid for the painting.”

I started to laugh, “I wouldn’t tell them the price or who painted it. I’ve decided I’m not going to let any client set the price. You went through hell, Arnaud. I am not going to put anyone else through that.”

“Well, there is one family member I’d pay you to put him through that.”

Crating that painting was something else. First the painting was wrapped in plastic stretch wrap cover film followed by a corrugated paper wrapping. That was put into a wooden crate. I knew we used plastic wrap covered with paper when we mailed paintings. We used a private mail service.

“When are you leaving?”

“Tonight. I have hired a private plane to fly us home. I’m not letting that painting out of my sight.”

We went to the club for dinner. Marcel wanted to know why Arnaud was in such good spirits. I told him he’s taking his painting home.

With that painting finished, I wanted to finish paintings that I had started and for one reason or another I never finished. I also wanted to start my painting of the Home. Over the front door, I was going to paint an angel with his arms opened. I showed Colin a sketched version which got me a kiss.

I picked one unfinished painting of all the boys together. I placed it on the easel and would work on it as time became available. During the day, when the boys were in school, I began my painting at the Home. Over the next few weeks, the painting over the front door started to become recognizable. Pat wanted to know why an Angel, I told her because angels live here. She thought I was a little overboard on that, “Don’t forget your angels can be little devils at times.”

I laughed, “Maybe seeing an Angel will remind them to be good.” She laughed.

When the Angel was finished, “Armand, this may be a reminder when they come home to behave. Now you need to remind them to behave when they leave.”

Pat was no fool, she knew the value of my paintings. This was her way of ensuring no one would try and buy the Home and tear it down. The paintings would be destroyed and professional people wouldn’t allow it to happen.

My life became structured. I painted in the morning, had lunch at the club, painted at the Home in the afternoon. When the boys came home from school, we went to the golf club for their golf lesson. Home work done at the club where Colin would join us for dinner. Week-ends we did things as a family. The swimming pool was finished, Roger arranged for students to be life guards. Charle started on the pool at the Home. I saw the drawings and it looked like a snowman. The small head was a kiddies pool and the body was a standard swimming pool. We had to visit when the pool was finished. I ended up in the kiddies pool, surrounded by the young children. Colin and the boys were in the ‘adult’ pool showing some of the older boys how to float and swim. Again students from the college were life guards at the pool at the Home. These life guards were paid and were certified. I told Roger I didn’t want to take any chances with an accident with those children.

We received an invitation to attend Christen’s marriage in May. Now the boys planned our trip, I had to inform the school that they would miss one week to attend a marriage in France. Actually they missed only two days. The wedding was on a Saturday, we flew over on Friday and returned on Monday. I did get a chance to see Madam Lavigne along with the boys. I also noted that some of the guests weren’t happy with my painting. Their complaint that it wasn’t in the style of those that were already on display. I looked at Colin when one of Arnaud’s guest said it was done by an amateur. When Colin mentioned to Arnaud that he was surprised he would hang a painting of his son by an amateur in his Hall. Arnaud laughed and said the individual won’t recognize a painting by Michelangelo.

Flying home, “Did you give Christen his wedding gift?”

“Yes, but he didn’t open it. I’m sure we will hear from him when he does.”

Tuesday life return to normal. Boys back in school, I painted in the morning, afternoons at the Home. I did ask Roger and Colin to see if they could arrange to remove the old orphanage. Colin found in the original agreement that the City was responsible to return the area to its original state when they no longer needed the facility.

Colin came home from the City Council meeting and said they are in an uproar. “They threatened to reopen the orphanage, one said they will buy the land and then they could do whatever they want with the land. My favorite member said they should take it to court and claim public domain. I think I’ll recommend that members of the City Council get annual physicals and mental evaluations. This member thinks the council is omnipotent.”

“Is he the one that led to you running for councilman?”

“Yes, I have a petition to limit the number of years a person could serve on the council and a person can only be elected twice.”

“Do you think they will agree?”

“Not all, but they will be thinking during elections.”

I knew Colin will make sure the paper will carry something if not as news, it will be in the opinion column.

“I think you need to resign, the boys need you. They are becoming young men. Ronnie is old enough to take driving lessons and with in the year, all of the boys will be old enough for driving lessons.”

I looked a Colin, he looked like he was in shook, I started to laugh.

Colin did resign from the City Council, Roger got the legal department at Yale to review their contract with the City. As expected the City took it to court and lost. Now they had to return the land to it’s original condition.

One of the lifeguards from the University was majoring in ecology. I had the boys talk to him about using the area for an ecology environmental project. When Richie and the boys were talking about the utilization of that area, I remember the area around his home. There were plants that attracted butterflies, natural habits for small animals and birds. As I listened, I liked the idea. Colin looked at me, smiling he nodded yes.

“We could have benches where we could sit and observe nature.” I looked at him, he mouthed ‘Paris’.

As school came to an end for the summer break, the boys wanted to know when we were going to take our annual trip to Europe. Colin wanted to check on Alesander. That led into the discussion concerning our fishing boat. Colin admitted he would need to check on it.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 27
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Where do I begin?

This chapter brings a sense of dénouement, and of history repeating itself. The reaction of Arnaud, sitting for hours staring at the portrait (of his son Christen), is such a reminder of little Tommy from the orphanage sitting in Armand's gallery, staring at the painting (by a Yale art student) that reminded him of his dead parents.

Armand agrees to accept Arnaud's Villa in France as payment for Christen's portrait, only to gift it to Christen on his wedding day.

Colin, in a short period in New Haven Council make some changes, not the least of which is tearing down the old orphanage that stands in front of Richie's 'new' old home, (that is home for the Rowe-Roberts extended family), and replacing it with a garden / green space that resembles the one in front of Richie's first family home.

A new son, Toby, and two daughters, Louise and Maryann, are adopted into the family.

Summer plans are being made that include another family trip to Europe, and when they return, a fishing trip for all children of The Home

The entrance to The Home gains a painted 'frieze' (a 'Trompe-l'oeil' painting that appears 3-dimensional when viewed) of a Guardian Angel over its' door, protecting the children.

OIP.xFJiZOT-q_-IEZ5LA882nwHaHa?w=166&h=1

            (Arch Angel Michael & child)

Throughout his life, and that of his extended family, Armand's guiding light, protector and indeed muse has been and is GG, his Great-Grandmother and his ' 🐦 of Happiness'.*

*GG's Bluebird 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 1/10/2023 at 1:48 PM, Anton_Cloche said:

Where do I begin?

This chapter brings a sense of dénouement, and of history repeating itself. The reaction of Arnaud, sitting for hours staring at the portrait (of his son Christen), is such a reminder of little Tommy from the orphanage sitting in Armand's gallery, staring at the painting (by a Yale art student) that reminded him of his dead parents.

Armand agrees to accept Arnaud's Villa in France as payment for Christen's portrait, only to gift it to Christen on his wedding day.

Colin, in a short period in New Haven Council make some changes, not the least of which is tearing down the old orphanage that stands in front of Richie's 'new' old home, (that is home for the Rowe-Roberts extended family), and replacing it with a garden / green space that resembles the one in front of Richie's first family home.

A new son, Toby, and two daughters, Louise and Maryann, are adopted into the family.

Summer plans are being made that include another family trip to Europe, and when they return, a fishing trip for all children of The Home

The entrance to The Home gains a painted 'frieze' (a 'Trompe-l'oeil' painting that appears 3-dimensional when viewed) of a Guardian Angel over its' door, protecting the children.

OIP.xFJiZOT-q_-IEZ5LA882nwHaHa?w=166&h=1

            (Arch Angel Michael & child)

Throughout his life, and that of his extended family, Armand's guiding light, protector and indeed muse has been and is GG, his Great-Grandmother and his ' 🐦 of Happiness'.*

*GG's Bluebird 

You summarize very well. The painting at the Home seems two purpose. one of course is the idea of it being a safe place looked over by angels and the second more of a mercenary purpose. The painting would be worth a lot of money and anyone wanting to buy the p[ropertyt would have to pay a large sum just for the painting. The property being owned by Colin and Armand ensure it won't be sold. But what about the future. The property will be inherited by the boys, thus ensuring it will never be sold.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

There have been some amazing accomplishments in the lives of Armand, Colin and their family since their return from Europe.  The new members of the family with thrive in the environment these two have created.  I felt the pain Arnaud felt over the painting.  I was pleased with the resolution.  We didn't get to see Cristian's reaction to his wedding gift, but I am sure he will treasure it as long as he lives.  I do expect that there will be an invitation to spend time there issued to Armand and Colin.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..