Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,248 Words
  • 1,125 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 204. Chapter 204

There is a feeling of relaxation this evening. After dinner, we all sat in the living room and reminisce about our time with Arnaud.

“I never knew he was afraid of being on the water. That fishing trip in Greece must have played havoc with him. I wanted to go and visit the islands but after that fishing trip, I decided to do it later without him.”

“I should have told you. I’m not sure why he was afraid.”

“Something probably happened when he was a child that scared him for life.”

“We are going to miss him.”

“How old is he?”

“I asked Christian that. He said he wasn’t sure but he thought late 90’s possibly early 100’s.”

“I am sure he is in his 90’s. I’ve known him for over 30 years.”

“Dad, we’re going to bed.”

“Don’t forget to rinse out underwear, socks, and a shirt for tomorrow.”

“Is Chef Boy excited about flying to the States tomorrow?”

“I don’t know. It will be a new experience for him but most important he will be safe.”

Finishing our wine, we headed to bed. I was tired and at the same time, I felt a load off of my shoulders.

 

Walking into the kitchen, the mood was happy., Roger and Jean were eating an omelet, the bread was sliced and toasted. I looked around the table, “Where are the boys?”

“Still sleeping, I suppose. There was no one down here when we came down. I started the coffee, Jean went to get bread at the patisserie, so I started the eggs.”

“Maybe I should start calling you Chef Man.”

I poured myself a cup of coffee

“Do you have your flight info?”

“No, I’ll call after breakfast.”

“Not that I am trying to get rid of you, here is the flight information.”

“You didn’t make reservations did you?”

“No, I’m not that anxious to get rid of you but then, you do have a promised project for me.”

I went and called Air France to book us a flight to JFK. They had a 10:30 AM flight that arrived at JFK at 12:40 PM. I took one look at the boys and booked the 1;30 PM flight arriving at JFK at 3:45 PM.

Walking into the kitchen, Chef Boy was cooking some eggs for Carl and himself. I poured myself a cup of coffee, and Carl came and sat beside me.

“Dad, have you made our reservations?”

“Yes, we will leave in the afternoon and arrive in the afternoon. Here is the schedule. Why don’t you call Pop and tell him so he can meet us.”

Before heading to the living room and phone, he had to show Charles.

“Roger, is Christian coming to pick you up?”

“Yes, he said he had some errands to do this morning and he will be here about noon.”

Now I knew that would be too late for me unless I went to the airport, booked and paid for our flight, and dropped off our luggage.

"I’m going to take a taxi to the airport, book and pay for our flights and get back before Christian arrives. I want to visit Arnaud before leaving."

As I was heading to the front door, passing the living room window I saw Allard’s truck and him with the envelope I left in his truck.

“Jean, Allard is here with the money I paid him for helping. Can you get him to accept the money? “

“I’ll try. You better sneak out the back door.”

And that was what I did. Before leaving I heard Jean tell him I had gone. “Allard, the money is yours. It is his way of showing you how much he appreciated your help. Think of it as a gift from a crazy American.”

“It’s a lot of money.”

“Accept it and you’ll have a friend for life.”

Returning from the airport, the boys were waiting in the living room. “Dad, that man who helped with Michael was here. Uncle Jean spoke with him.’

“I’ll speak with Uncle Jean. Are you all ready to go?” I noticed Carl was ready but Charles was a little concerned. “Carl, Charles is concerned, you need to calm him down. We will have lunch on the plane. As soon as Christian arrives, I want to go and say goodbye to Arnaud. You should come with me, I know he will be happy to see you.”

When Christian arrived for Roger, I told him that I was flying home with the boys but we wanted to see his dad before leaving.

I was glad he had a big car, Jean went with us.

There is a feeling of sadness when you know this will be the last time you will see a friend. You start to think about the times you could have seen him but didn’t take the time to spend more time with them. Then when the end comes, you berate yourself and make promises you won’t miss time with those friends that are still with you. With these thoughts, I vowed to spend more time with my parents and friends like Mary and Pat. I vowed to cherish my time with the boys and their families, Thinking about GG, I heard the rocking chair.

Arriving at Arnaud’s home, Christian led us to his upstairs bedroom. He had a smile on his face, “I thought you were leaving today?”

“We are but I and the boys wanted to see you before we left.”

“I’m glad you stopped. I can’t get Michael out of my head. He comes to me in my sleep. I wake up and I see him in that painting.”

“Grandfather, this is for you.” I watched as Carl gave him a small card. He took one look at it, smiled, and hugged Carl while whispering in his ear.

I wondered what the card was but I knew Carl would tell me later.

We sat with Arnaud until it was time for us to leave. My heart was heavy leaving him knowing the next time I see him he won’t be able to see me. I hugged him for the last time, then left. Christian volunteered to drive us to the airport,

“Armand, you gave my father a great gift. I think he was living only to see that angel on the family’s mausoleum. That day when you hung that painting, he was so happy. It was as if death was no longer a fear but a joy because he would be with Michael. He wants you to have this in remembrance of him. There is one condition. you can’t open it until you get home.”

I took the gift box, it was small and heavy. I suspected it was euros. “Christian, tell your father this wasn’t necessary but I will honor his request and thank him for me. I have known your father a long time. I was 19 teen when I first met him. He surprised me then with one of my paintings on his wall and he continued to surprise me. Our trip to Greece was fantastic, thanks to him.

By this time, we had arrived at the airport. “Thanks for the ride. Please keep me informed about your father. I’ll be back with a painting for Jean. I hope to see him again.”

Getting out of the car, I hugged Christian goodbye, thanking him for the ride. We watched him drive off.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 25
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..