Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 800 Words
  • 2,505 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 19. Chapter 19

After all of the students left except the one who showed Colin’s photo to the group, “Sir, I have a friend that has a private collection you might be interested in seeing. I know he would like to discuss art with you. He travels a lot and always brings back paintings from the places he visits.”\

“I would like to see his private collection. Many of the paintings in the museums have been photographed and seen all over the world. A private collection would have paintings that aren’t as well known.”

‘Sir, I’ll contact him tonight and let you know when you can visit. Where are you going tomorrow?”

“I thought I’d go to the Musee National Picasso. He has a different style of painting.”

“Is it okay if my friends and I join you?”

“Yes. Let’s meet here, and we can all go together.”

That night after dinner, I told Colin some of the highlights of the conversation that we had earlier with the students. He thanked me in a very unique way.

In the morning, over a cup of coffee, I told Madam Lavigne that some of the students from the evening before would be dropping by to accompany Colin and me to the Picasso museum. She was concerned about breakfast, and I told her I would buy some bread and cheese and eat it as we walked.

When I said that, I forgot about the students. We went to the patisserie and bought various pastries, wine, and bottled water. I asked if they wanted cheese, they declined, so I bought a small piece with a small loaf of bread. The students ate the pastry, and Colin and I ate the cheese and bread. If you took a picture, it would be worth a good laugh. There was a group of young people moving down the street, talking, laughing, eating, and drinking wine. This could only happen in Paris.

We arrived at the museum, and the students took over. They began to discuss Picasso’s painting in terms of periods of time.

One of the students asked what the basis for his Blue Period is? An older student responded.

“It was a time when he was struggling. He was poor, and the Blue period affected his moods. He did his paintings in shades of blue or blue/green. He painted the Blue Nude, the Blue Room, and his Blue Poppies during this time. You’ll see others as we walk through the gallery.”

I translated his comments for Colin.

That was the start of our tour. As we viewed a painting, I would tell Colin what period the painting reflected.

“Armand, that painting is confusing.”

“Picasso was a leader in a painting style called cubism. There were a lot of students at Yale that opted for that style of painting, it never appealed to me.’

We spent the morning in the museum, taking a lunch break. That break turned into a discussion comparing various artists. One of the students mentioned paintings by the artists that lived about the same time as Picasso. That opened the door to a discussion about who influenced who. The resolution, we went back into the museum and stayed until they asked us to leave as they were closing. One would think that would be the end of our discussion; you would’ve been wrong if you did.

Walking back to Madam Lavigne’s house, one of the boys saw Le Select’s cafe. I don’t know who led the group, but that is where Colin and I found ourselves.

Sitting outside, a waiter came, there was a discussion, and he left. The next time he came out, he had several bottles of wine and glasses. The conversation continued as if we hadn’t stopped or ordered wine, and it was as if this was a natural occurrence.

After two hours and I didn’t know how many glasses of wine, I told the students Collin and I had to leave. I gave the boy sitting next to me some francs to help pay for the wine. At first, he didn’t want to take it, and he said it was pay for my instructions and comments on the various artists. I put the money under my glass, saying goodbye we left.

Arriving at Madam Lavigne’s home, she told us we missed supper, but she had some bread and cheese we could eat. I asked for coffee, telling her about our afternoon. She laughed, went, and brought us coffee, cheese, and bread.

Sitting with us, I told her about our day. She said someone phoned and left a message for me. Handling me a piece of paper was an address and the name, Andre Arnaud. Later I told Colin that was the name of the private collector. “We’ll go tomorrow.”

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 44
  • Love 28
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

59 minutes ago, chris191070 said:

Armand and Colin have made friends with the students. Another great day visiting a museum and discussing various artists,

Tomorrow will be a big day, visiting a private collector. Will he have an Arrow in his collection?

What do you think? Has Arrow made it to Paris?

  • Like 5
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Kev said:

WOW! I could just see the boys wandering down the streets of Paris all talking at once and poor old Colin not understanding a word that was said (sure made me giggle). Took me back to when I worked for IBM, quite often I'd be on the French, German some other team regarding access issues. I literally had to have the team manager in on the calls to translate for me. Seems so long ago now.... 

I loved the chapter and fell in love with the boys even more as I could see them a lovers in the city of love. Thank you🤓

Yes, you know how Colin feels. Armand is sensitive enough to translate when appropriate

  • Like 5
Link to comment

This was a good chapter but the Euro (€) is now the currency that is used in France and has been for a long time🙂

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Another enjoyable day at the museum.  If cljobe titled these chapters, this one would probably be "Armand's Paris Salon on Tour".  I like some cubist art and even have a framed piece by an Indian (India) art student that I love.  She never gained fame, but the blend of cubism and her culture are intriguing and colorful.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..