Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 815 Words
  • 938 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 173. Chapter 173

I knew that doctors must see some terrible physical deformities and deal with severe medical conditions including death, but I had never seen a doctor with tears in his eye until Dr. Stevenson looked at David on his examination table. Carefully, he examined David. “The child is severely undernourished. I would estimate he had another two weeks to live if you hadn’t rescued him. I have never seen a child in this condition. It is a miracle he has lived this long.”

I smiled at David and silently thanked Heaven and Ronnie for bringing this child to us. I could feel GG’s smile.

“On your way home, stop at a pharmacy and buy several packages of straws and two cases of this supplement in liquid form. Make sure he drinks at least one can with his meals. I’d like to see him in 4 weeks and you need to make an appointment with a dentist.”

Wrapped back up in his blanket, we headed back home. Ronnie stopped at a pharmacy and went in to buy the supplement, I stayed in the car with David. When Ronnie came out he was smiling, he had some candy for David. “The pharmacist said people who bought these supplements also bought this candy. It is supposed to increase their appetite.” I laughed, David didn’t need anything to increase his appetite, he was ready to eat all the time, any time.

“I guess if you have been starving for a long time, food becomes your main objective.”

“Yes, I imagine he would eat anything, good or bad for something to satisfy his hunger.”

“Hunger would drive you. There are people that take advantage of that. How he didn’t succumb to that life is a mystery. I’m glad you found him.”

Pulling into the garage, I carried David into the kitchen while Donnie carried the cases of supplements into the kitchen.

“Let’s try one of those supplements you bought Ronnie.”

“Do you pour it over ice or drink it as is?”

“Let’s try it over ice.”

As I poured the liquid in the can into a glass containing ice, I could smell the chocolate flavor. I took some on a spoon to taste. David watched me as I did this, I smiled and he did as well. I watched as he sipped the drink through a straw. “Is it good?”

He smiled but didn’t stop drinking until the glass was empty.

Later that evening I told Colin about David and our meeting with Dr. Stevenson. “We are going to see a dentist for his teeth.”

“I think you’ll need to see an oral surgeon. His teeth are so bad they will need to be removed and perhaps he will need to have implants.”

“Do you think there is such a doctor at Children’s Hospital? We have another appointment with Dr. Stevenson in 4 weeks.”

“It’s a possibility. Check the list of doctors looking for an Oral Surgeon.”

I thought Colin’s comments made sense.

In the morning, after breakfast, I check the roster of doctors at Children’s Hospital. There was an oral surgeon. I noted the name and phone number. When we go to see Dr. Stevenson, I’ll see if I can’t have an appointment with the oral surgeon. All it took was one phone call and the appointment was made. In the thirty days we had to wait, David gained some weight. I now was able to buy him clothes, his hair was growing back, and best of all, he was walking on his own.

Arriving at the Hospital for our appointments, David walked into Dr. Stevenson’s office, which resulted in a surprise for Dr. Stevenson and his staff. David had a big smile on his face. There was no question, David was proud of his progress and so was Dr. Stevenson, but I think I was proud the most.

When we were finished being examined by Dr. Stevenson I mentioned we had an appointment with the oral surgeon. He thought that would not only help him with a better diet but also give him some self-confidence.

Our meeting with the oral surgeon, Dr. Martinez proved to be interesting. Most of David’s teeth had fallen out because of his lack of food and his inability to properly take care of his teeth. He suggested he could provide a bridge. “The bridge will have to be adjusted as he grows older.”

I thought his proposal made sense but before I committed to that plan, I needed to speak to Colin and GG. I did make a follow-up appointment. I knew any teeth he had should be removed.

That evening I brought Colin up to date. He said what Dr. Martinez proposed seemed like a reasonable approach. I just needed one other approval. I didn’t want David to go through any more pain or disappointment than he already had experienced.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 20
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 5/14/2023 at 8:38 AM, scrubber6620 said:

David was near death and severely malnourish like prisoners at a death camp. He had suffered so much and did not act as a victim or be a pain to help. He responded well to love and support. Giving him too much foodin the beginning , from a sense of misguided compassion, could have killed him.

He is going to need careful medical for a long time. I am sure he will have ongoing issues from his terrible start in life. Improved oral hygiene is key, too.  He must have a positive attitude which can help him improve, Others seem to be drawn to him.

 

21 hours ago, drsawzall said:

I don't disagree with your comment and I may not have been clear enough, I would have David seen by both specialists the very same day, doctor first, dentist second...waiting 4 weeks to assess the state of David's oral needs is/was not wise...

I can see your point, but David was in such a poor state, he needed to have some nourishment. Medical first, this allowed him to build up some strength then dental. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..