Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 819 Words
  • 1,662 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 57. Chapter 57

Armand painted a large portrait of the flyer for the International Fund. Colin told him they were going to raffle off the painting. Armand wasn’t sure he approved of raffling off his painting. Colin convinced him it would be good publicity.

Opening night of the seminar, they announced the raffle for the painting. Tickets could be bought for 100 dollars per ticket. Armand was interested in the raffle but he wasn’t going to attend. Colin told him he had to attend as his firm was handling the promotion of the Seminar.

“I’ll stay here. When it is over, come and find me. I’ll be in the club.”

Colin came home late. The club was closed and Armand was on the roof waiting for him. “Here you are?”

“Yes, I knew if I wasn’t in our room, you would find me here. How did it go?”

“It was packed. A lot of business people where there. I think it was for public relations and not a true interest in saving animals.”

“Who won the painting?”

“One of the staff from the International Fund for Wild Animals. He had a big smile, but when he went to get it, one of the attendees offered 10,000 dollars for it. He said no, then it turned into a bidding contest. The final price was 60,000 dollars. The lucky man was from their International head quarters.”

I just looked at Colin. 60,000 dollars for a painting of a fund raising affair.

“What’s the matter?”

“I can’t believe that someone would pay that amount of money for that poster. I only contributed that small painting at the bottom.”

“I think you better rethink the selling price of your paintings.”

 

That night laying in bed, I kept thinking about the price of that poster. I must have laid awake most of the night. I finally fell asleep but it felt like it was only a few hours when Colin woke me. “You didn’t sleep much did you? You look terrible, go back to sleep for a few more hours. I’ll come home for lunch.”

A kiss and that is what I did.

I was in a deep sleep when Colin woke me. It’s odd but I never mind Colin waking me from my sleep. I don’t know if it is the kiss or what comes next.

Over a light breakfast and coffee, “I was thinking, the success of that poster was the boy watching the whale. I think I’ll do a few more paintings of animals being observed by a child. I’m not sure if it is the wonder of a child observing nature or the attraction of the animals which are in danger of becoming extinct.”

“I would have thought the painting of Carlo and the lambs would have sold for more.”

“I didn’t sell that painting. The one with the lambs we gave to Carlo. I only painted a picture of Carlo, which I still have.”

“When we come back from the wedding, maybe you can think of other paintings of people with animals.”

“Why wait?”

“Next week we fly to Italy.”

“That soon? I though we had a least a month.”

“No, we will fly over Monday morning, the wedding is Saturday. You’ll need to make arrangements for their trip to France and the cruise to New York. We are returning Sunday morning with Carmella.”

I looked at him. Where did the time go. It seemed we just got back from Europe. I knew we were back for some time, we finished the club gates, the mural, the gallery. As I thought all that was done since we came back from our trip, Colin was right.

 

Packing was different this time for our trip to Europe. We had tuxedos to pack, wedding gifts, and our usual clothes we wear during the day. Colin had his cameras and his photo backup sticks. Looking at everything we had to take, we ended up taking two large suitcases.

“Did you arrange for the Board to cover the club while we are gone?”

“Yes and I told Mom if there were any problems to call us. She has our cell phone numbers.

Booking flights, we left Sunday evening, arriving Rome in the morning. As soon as we passed through Passport control, I went to the airport hotel and booked the wedding night for Geno and Angela. Colin went and bought flight tickets on Air France for them.

Finished, we hailed a taxi to take us to the village.

We arrived a little before lunch, Carmella was surprised. She expected us in the evening but Angela was happy to see us. She went and got her painting which Colin had mailed. She wanted me to sign it.

“Angela, I have already signed it. Look here and here.” As usual I had my arrow on the frame.

She looked confused, Colin to the rescue.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 26
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

21 hours ago, drsawzall said:

You got my vote, that is if I have a vote!!!

 

Of course you have a voice. What kind of story teller would I be if my readers/listiners didn't have a say.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
18 hours ago, Christopher said:

I got the impression that Colin was trying to "merchandise" Armand's paintings and the feeling wasn't mutual. Armand definitely got a 'wake-up' when he was told the price his painting fetched. Hopefully a portion, if not all, of those funds went to the International Fund for Wild Animals and not just to someone being entrepreneurial or greedy. 

To my knowledge when an organization holds raffles the money goes to the organization. Since the owner of the painting is a member of the organization I would expect to see the p[ainting displayed in the international office.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

I think Armand using his and Colin's future son Thomas as the child observing animals or anything else would inspire Armand to paint more, regardless of the sale prices. GG has to awaken Armand's mind to the fact the Thomas is a priceless gift, that Armand must reach out and embrace. Or else all is lost.

 

Knowing the feelings of a father, there would be no better model then a 10 year old boy experiencing the world.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Interesting chapter that illustrates how quickly time passes if you're not paying attention to the important things in life. Like family

Armand is, it seems, like many artists who focus so hard on one thing to the exclusion of everything else, that he looses sight of the reality in front of him.

crying-child-boy-sitting-on-a-bench-cove

You put me at a disadvantage. I know the future thanks to GG. As the story develops, we will learn how the guys feel toward a young boy. I heard that GG has spoken to Armand.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Thomas would make a great model for Arrow's pictures.  Considering their feelings, I think it would be easy for Arrow to paint Thomas from the soul.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..