Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,167 Words
  • 1,284 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 96. Chapter 96

 
 

Mom and her girls had costumes for all of the kids. Mom said they even found a costume for the five youngest. I was interested in what those looked like. Carmella wanted to know more about this day.

“It was believed that the souls of the dead returned on Halloween. It was a custom that started by the Celts and called the festival of Samhain which was observed on November 1st. The people wore costumes to ward off ghosts and lit bonfires. Then the Church took on the task of replacing all of the pagan celebrations by substituting a religious holiday. The Pope designated November 1st as a time to honor all saints. I guess the people didn’t want to give up the Samhain celebrations so they incorporated some of those celebration into the celebration of honoring all saints. The evening before was known as All Hallows Eve and later it became known as Halloween. Now the boys and girls dress up in costumes, go from house to house and they get a treat.”

“All of this because of a Pope declaring All Saints Day.”

“Yes, but if you think about it, many of our customs today came about from the Church incorporating what was consider pagan rites into our holidays. The Christmas tree was a custom that went back to the use of evergreens in ancient Egypt and Rome. The tradition continued in Germany with the celebration of the winter solstice. Boiled eggs have been around for ages. But today they are colored and associated with Easter representing a new life.”

“So do the boys go from house to house?”

“No, we will have a party at the orphanage. Maybe you could come with Marcel and James. I think they are planning on treats for the children.” I saw the twinkle in her eyes.

Halloween would be on a Monday this year. Sunday morning, James headed to the orphanage with containers of peanut butter and cookies. With the help of the orphanage cooks, they were going to start making treats.

Carmella wanted to go with him, so I drove her over to the orphanage. James had his car loaded with cooking appliances and tubs of his peanut butter. He returned with Carmella about hour later. He had to help Marcel preparing for Sunday lunch.

When the club closed at 6, James and Carmella left for the orphanage. Now I was begin to wonder what they were doing.

“Marcel, what’s happening.” The kitchen staff were gone.

“Come with me, I’m heading over to the orphanage as well.”

“Wait, I need to get the boys.” I saw Colin and told him I was going to the orphanage. “Our cooking staff left us.”

Arriving at the orphanage, Pat was in her office. “What’s happening?”

“I’m not sure. Your cooking staff arrived, they went to the kitchen and I haven’t seen them.”

“Pat, what did you do for Halloween in the past?”

“Nothing. There was no way for we could take the kids door to door. We didn’t have any money for costumes and what little money we had, we made treats for the children.”

“Surely the children in school knew about Halloween. Didn’t they ask questions?”

I noticed Pat rubbing her eyes. “Armand, we do what we can.”

Mom and the girls arrived with packages. “Pat, these are the costumes for the children.” Mom didn’t notice me, “Mom, do you need help?”

“Armand, I didn’t see you. Where’s Colin?”

“I think he’s in the kitchen.”

“Pat, we’ll be back in the morning to help you dress the children. These are for you and Colin.” She handled me two packages.

I didn’t know what was happening in the kitchen, and truth be told, I didn’t want to know. I spent the time with the kids. We played games, Farmer in the Dell, that required some changes so we could get all of the kids into the game. The older boys watched and laughed. Now for the older boys we played musical chairs. The younger children wanted to play as well, so we took the chairs from the dining room, and made a big circle. Mom had a big cardboard pumpkin, we played pin the nose on the pumpkin.

I looked at the kids, they were having fun, even the older children.

I was sitting in a chair watching the older children helping the younger children. I was smiling on the outside but my inside wasn’t smiling. Pat came and asked me to hold a child who had a bottle. Before I could say no, the child was placed in my lap, I was handed a bottle. Mom saw me and smiled.

As I fed the child his bottle, he would look at me. I fell in love with his blue eyes. Pat came to check, “Pat, how old is he?”

“She is 11 months old.”

“How did she ended up here?” She looked at me, tears in her eyes, “Abandoned”

I couldn’t believe what she said. How can anyone abandon a baby. I knew I had tears running down my cheek as I looked at this child.

Pat came back and placed a towel over my shoulder, the bottle was empty, she placed the child on my shoulder, “Lightly pat her back. She needs to burp.” I know Pat saw my tears, but I didn’t care. The word abandon kept going through my mind.

“She is asleep. I’ll put her to bed.”

“No, show me where she sleeps, I’ll put her to bed.” I followed Pat to a room at the end of a corridor. Opening the door, there were four cribs. Following Pat, I laid the child in her bed. I pulled a cover over her, and stood there, watching her sleep.

Pat tugged my arm, pulling me back to reality. I went back to my chair, but my mind never left, abandon.

Colin came and said they had a late snack for the children. Pat wasn’t sure that was a good idea but Colin whispered something to her, she smiled and told the children they needed to take the chairs back to the dining room.

Opening the door, there on the table were four of the largest pumpkins I had ever seen. With the chairs in place, they were told to sit down and close their eyes. James and Colin had small flashlights, they removed the top of the pumpkins, dropped the lights in and told the kids to open their eyes.

The older boys started to clap, then James and Colin came out with small cups of colored milk. I wonder how they were able to have orange milk knowing James insistence on only natural foods.

That evening at home I asked Colin how did they make the orange dye they used in the milk. He said that James took orange juice and concentrated it to a syrup. A few drops was all it took. Now I was wondering where James had learned that.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 29
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 9/24/2022 at 8:33 AM, mikedup said:

Wow a Halloween for the kids to remember, I wonder what was Arrow is going to do now , that he be knows something else, an education for all I am sure

 

Arrow isn't to happy. That information will bother him for quite a long time.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 9/24/2022 at 9:17 AM, scrubber6620 said:

Coiln and Armand and crew made a very special holiday time for the kids at the orphanage who had so little and needed much. They received costumes, food and love,

Flashlights and carved pumpkins sound awesome. The kids stayed the focus of the adults.

One question: Are they having too much peanut butter in meals and cookies. Is it time for new cookies--like chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin?

I'll pass that on. Peanut cookies is always a favorite.

  • Like 3
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
22 hours ago, weinerdog said:

The abandoned child really shook Armand up as it would anybody.I don't know if Colin and Armand taking on an infant is something they could do. Three somewhat grown kids is a lot different. But I bet Armand has a idea but what?

Armand will take GG's suggestion.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
8 hours ago, chris191070 said:

A great Halloween that the kids will remember.

Yes, and I think it will be standard for the kids

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Once again the children of the orphanage get to experience a delightful night courtesy of their "uncles"!!

I wonder what's to become of the infant girl...

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

A great Halloween for the kids in the orphanage.  The abandoned baby girl may capture Armand's heart, but I think Colin and Armand will have another idea in mind for her.  Often a single mom will abandon a child they deeply love, if they feel it will be better for the child.  I think GG will help Armand find the mother and make it possible for her to raise the baby girl.

  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..