Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,085 Words
  • 1,458 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 90. Chapter 90

The excitement of our visitors was over with the boys returning to school. There still was one item left, that concerned Richie. For some reason he has avoided unpacking the items that were brought here by the woman named Marie. Speaking French to Andre and Rene must have opened something that he had blocked. Now I know he speaks French, his Mother was French and she had a maid who also is French.

I was tempted to open the packages myself but that would be intruding on Richie’s memories and, even though he is now my son, I have no right to do that. That evening, on the roof, after the boys have gone to bed, I told Colin about my concern.

“Wait until this week-end. Carmella is coming and you can tell him you would like to clean out the room to make a place for her.”

“That won’t work. They know she can stay on the third floor with James.”

“Then, maybe you should be upfront with him.” I thought about that.

That evening I told GG, she just smiled. No response.

Saturday night, the boys and I were sitting on the roof, I had my coffee and the boys had their drinks from Jimmy. “Dad, those things of mine, what if they are too small for me?”

“What made you think about them?”

“Remember that woman who comes to me in my dreams when I’m thinking about my family?” I nodded. “She said I should see if my brothers or some other children could use them.”

“Richie, what’s in those packages are yours. You can keep them, share with your brothers or see if that boy you have befriended at school could use them. There are always the boys at the orphanage. I’m sure when you start opening those packages, you’ll know what to do.”

“If I want to keep them?”

“That is your choice. If you want to keep them, you can keep them, even if I have to buy you a cabinet to store them.”

No more was said. I was sitting on the swing, Ronnie was on one side, Richie on the other side and Tommy was on my lap, leaning into me. That was the way Colin found us. The boys had fallen asleep, leaning on me. I laughed when Colin had a cup of coffee for me and I couldn’t take it from him.

“Let’s get the boys to bed, then we can sit and have our coffee.”

Colin picked up Ronnie putting him over one shoulder, Richie over the other shoulder leaving Tommy for me.

Taking them to their room, we undressed them but left them in their underwear. Tucking them in, we heard a muffled, ‘thanks Pop.’

I reheated my cup of coffee, and went to the roof. Colin went there while I reheated my coffee.

Sitting together I told him about my discussion with Richie. “Maybe we should buy a dresser for the boy’s room. We could buy one with four drawers, one for each and one for everyone.”

“They are going to need new clothes soon. I noticed their school clothes being a little tight in the waist.”

“Are you glad our guests are gone?”

“It was nice seeing them. I thought they enjoyed being here.”

“They will be looking forward to our visit next year.”

“I will also. I get to play host to our boys, showing them around.”

“I could do that as well.”

“Yes, but I practiced with you and now I’m a pro.”

“Come with me, I’m a pro at some things as well.”

Laughing we went downstairs, checked on the kids and turned in for the night. Colin had to prove that there was something he was a pro at, and as far as I was concerned, he was a pro. I’m glad I married him.

Sunday morning sitting around the table, Marcel came up for coffee, bringing some rolls, James had made the coffee and eggs. The boys were seated around the kitchen table, on the bench. They claimed it as theirs. I enjoyed these moments, in a sense, these people became my family.

Breakfast over, Marcel and James went to work in the club kitchen. They had to prep for the 12 to 6 luncheon. The boys and I cleaned the kitchen, we did the dishes only this time it was Ronnie’s turn to wash.

“Dad, what are we going to do today?”

“Is your home work finished?” Three heads bobbed up and down. I laughed at them. “Richie, let’s tackle those packages.” I could see he wasn’t enthusiastic about doing that, but the boys were. I believe doing it with the other two boys made a difference.

We walked into the room, Ronny picked up small package and started to open it. Richie watched. With the package open, Ronnie pulled out a shirt, “Ronnie, be careful. Those clothes have been ironed and neatly packed.”

Ronnie took off the shirt he was wearing and was going to try on the shirt. The shirt was too small for him, Tommy and Richie laughed. Ronnie took off the shirt and handed it to Tommy. Looking at Richie for approval, he tried it on and it fit him. I knew it would fit Richie as well. Taking off the shirt, Tommy handed it to Richie, “You can keep it, Tommy.”

We proceeded to empty all of the small packages. If the clothes fit one of Richie’s brothers, he would tell them to keep it. The clothes that didn’t fit went back into the boxes.

There was a large box, I moved it so the boys could open it. Ronny opened it and then he reached in and pulled out a baseball cap. “Dad, I don’t want any of those things in that box. It is my baseball suit, shoes, photos and trophies.”

“Okay, I’ll take that box to the basement. Anytime you want to look through it, you can.” That was okay with the boys, except Ronnie wanted the hat. “Ronnie, put the hat back. I’ll buy all of you baseball hats and jerseys, you can be your own team.”

Ronnie put the hat back after Tommy whispered something to him.

There was a briefcase, I left it in the room. I felt Richie had enough for now.

Carrying the box to the basement I thought I would have help. As soon as we were at the club, three boys left me. When I returned, they were at the bar drinking what looked like chocolate milk. Ronnie and Tommy were laughing, Richie would smile but his mind was somewhere else. I stood by him, putting my arm around his shoulder, he leaned into me.

We stayed like that until James came out and offered them a cookie sandwich. Picking up their drinks, they followed James to the kitchen.

“Richie, do you want to join them?”

He looked at me, his eyes were moist, I hugged him and he took my hand as we headed for the kitchen.

I sat next to Colin, Richie sat on my lap. Colin looked at Richie and then me. I smiled, saying ‘later’. I noticed Ronny sitting on the other side of Colin and when I was going to ask where was Tommy, he sat down next to me. We sat there, Colin and I had coffee, Jimmy brought a refill for the boys. Chocolate milk with a scoop of ice cream in it. The sandwiches were a James concoction. His peanut butter with pieces of fresh fruit in it on a home made cracker. The boys thought it was great, even Richie perked up. I was sure by tomorrow he would be fine.

Colin’s mom and dad arrived, the boys left us. That gave me a chance to bring Colin up today on the unpacking. “Tomorrow after school, I’ll meet you and we’ll take them sports shopping.” A kiss on the cheek was his reward. Then we joined the boys.

When the club closed, Mom and Dad joined us in the kitchen for our dinner. They said they weren’t hungry but would join us for a cup of coffee. James put a tray of his peanut butter/fruit crackers on the table. I watched Dad take one, he whispered something to Mom she tried it. I didn’t have to worry about the boys. When they were finished eating, the crackers were gone. James brought another plate over and set it in front of the boys. Message delivered, these are for the boys.

Mom and Dad left, Colin began to close up the club. Our chefs and their two helpers began to clean up the kitchen, the boys and I headed to the roof and that is where Colin found us.

“We won’t be able to come here soon. The weather will be getting cold soon.”

“That reminds me, we will need to go shopping for winter clothes. Tomorrow after school, you will need to try on your winter clothes to see if they still fit.”

“You need to check with Pat to see if the children have coats and warm clothing.”

Thinking about winter clothing for the orphanage, I wonder if they passed them on, only getting new clothing when there isn’t anything in their size.

Looking at Colin, “What? What are you thinking.”

I just smiled. I was going to get them all a warm scarf. I remember when I went to school and Mom wrapping a warm scarf around my neck tucking it into my jacket. If my face got cold, I’d pull the scarf up to cover my face.

James came up with cups of warm milk for the boys. I knew it wasn’t just milk, James had added a little maple syrup to it.

Colin took the boys down to get ready for bed. I sat there with James.

“Where did you get the idea of Maple syrup in warm milk.”

“I don’t know. I remember drinking it, but I don’t remember where or when. It does make you sleepy. I tried to make it at the orphanage when I helped in the kitchen. But it didn’t taste the same.”

“Did you use pure maple syrup or the commercial syrup.”

“I don’t remember, but what I gave the boys tonight was made with pure maple syrup. Marcel would have no imitations. It does make a difference.”

“You need to get the cooks to make it.”

James smiled and then we talked about his car. That ended when he yawned, he was getting tired. Saying good night, he hugged me, “Goodnight, brother.”

James was happy, I couldn’t have loved him more if he was my true brother. In Colin and my eyes, he was our brother.

Colin came up, I heard him say good night to James.

“James is in a good mood tonight.”

“Marcel has done wonders for him. I would expect Marcel to be asking for a few days off around the holidays.”

“That man needs it. Word is getting around about the marvelous chef this club has.”

“What word and who?”

“There is a business club that Dad and I go for lunch, on occasion. We were there last week when the maitre’d asked about Marcel. He wanted to know if it is true he is working in a club kitchen. The way he said club wasn’t flattering.”

“What did you tell him?”

“I told him I heard the same thing. I also told him I heard he is training new French chefs and he has a protege in an exclusive club that only a few people know about.”

“And?”

“He wanted to know more about this club. Dad and I were there on business, we had a client with us. The last thing we wanted to talk about was a chef at some exclusive club. After he left, Dad explained to our guest about the our club and that Marcel was our chef. Guess what he said?”

“What”

“He said he would give us his business if what that maitre’d said was true and this chef worked for our club.”

“So when’s he coming?”

“How do you know we invited him?”

“Colin, love. It’s what I would do. But I don’t think it’s a good idea to bring your clients to the club.”

“Maybe Sunday?”

“Yes, an excellent time.”

Laughing, we went to bed. There is no laughing in our bed, making love is a serious business. Of course, smiling and kissing is allowed.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 33
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Where did these ideas for the milk recipes come from?  Chocolate milk with ice cream or milk with chocolate ice cream?  Milk with maple syrup?  I’ve never heard of these ideas (except for the shakes).

Richie is still in the mourning phase.  He may not be out-and-out sobbing, but everyone grieves in their own way, and he hasn’t had enough time to fully adjust to life without Mom, Dad and Big Brother.  He got very lucky to have been matched up with Armand and Colin and their family so quickly.  Armand was right to kind of ‘force’ the issue of going through the box and it’s contents.  It was hard for Richie, but it helped him face the reality of the situation.  It has to be done in stages, though.  Richie indicated he was done when he couldn’t face the sports memorabilia.  That’s fine.  This is a difficult, emotional thing to do.  It doesn’t all have to be done today.  Give him a few days, or even weeks, then revisit the issue without forcing it.  He’s working on it now.  He’ll keep doing so, even if it doesn’t look like it outwardly.  GG keeps helping in her way, also.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Clancy59 said:

Where did these ideas for the milk recipes come from?  Chocolate milk with ice cream or milk with chocolate ice cream?  Milk with maple syrup?  I’ve never heard of these ideas (except for the shakes).

Richie is still in the mourning phase.  He may not be out-and-out sobbing, but everyone grieves in their own way, and he hasn’t had enough time to fully adjust to life without Mom, Dad and Big Brother.  He got very lucky to have been matched up with Armand and Colin and their family so quickly.  Armand was right to kind of ‘force’ the issue of going through the box and it’s contents.  It was hard for Richie, but it helped him face the reality of the situation.  It has to be done in stages, though.  Richie indicated he was done when he couldn’t face the sports memorabilia.  That’s fine.  This is a difficult, emotional thing to do.  It doesn’t all have to be done today.  Give him a few days, or even weeks, then revisit the issue without forcing it.  He’s working on it now.  He’ll keep doing so, even if it doesn’t look like it outwardly.  GG keeps helping in her way, also.

When I was a young man, years ago, there was a cafe that offered a drink called Brown Cow, yes chocolate ice cream in a glass of milk. I have always loved cold milk, and this was perfect. I incorp[orated it in my story.  If you haven't tried it, do so and let me know if you enjoyed it or not.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

In Germany it's usual to make honey in milk or chocolate milk with vanilla ice cream or milk with chocolate ice cream.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Stix said:

In Germany it's usual to make honey in milk or chocolate milk with vanilla ice cream or milk with chocolate ice cream.

Yes, I've had them when I was there. In the US not to much honey. I thought every kid growing up had these to drink, but obviously not.  if you have never tried this, you should. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I do love honey, and didn't know there were so many varieties of honey until I came to Thailand.  Each variety has a different taste depending how which plants the bees visit and which of the 8 species of honeybees pollinate the flowers..  I especially love lychee honey.  Marcel is getting a reputation that is sure to attract more members to the club.  They need to get Jimmy trained and even more space for the club.    

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..