Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,880 Words
  • 1,477 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 151. Chapter 151

Sundays we had lunch at the club. The young boys and Mary Ann would have a Jimmy special. Uncle Jimmy always had a special drink for them. It was like deja vu, remembering the older boys when they were that age.

Life is never stable and when you think nothing will ever change, change happens.

Sitting at the kitchen table, Marcel came and sat with us.

“Colin, Armand, my brother is very ill. He wants me to go and run his school for him and I have decided to go. James can handle the kitchen, he knows all of my recipes and also Nonna’s recipes. He will continue to come over to the school in France. Peter can handle your breakfast, and even the occasional dinner. Billy will stay and help James. You may need to hire somoen to help them.”

I looked at James, he put a chef’s had on. The name on the hat was Marcel. “If you think he can handle it, then Armand and I wish you the best of luck, Marcel.”

“Marcel, you always will be welcomed back. Even for vacations.”

I knew Colin would be sorry to see him leave, but if Marcel said James was ready, then I felt everything would be okay.

For several weeks, Colin kept his eyes on the kitchen at the club. Mom and Dad ate there on Sunday afternoon and they said that there was no change in the quality of food. Actually we didn’t tell them that Marcel had left. As far as they knew, Marcel was still cooking.

“Do you think we should tell them that James is doing all of the cooking?”

“No, let them think Marcel is cooking. One of these days after Marcel has been gone for a while, we will tell them. You really can’t tell the difference except the vegetables taste better.”

“That is because he only buys vegetables from the county farmers. I think he has even talked to Ivan about selling him some of his corn.”

“Why would that make a difference.”

“They don’t spray their fields.”

James and Billy now stayed at the club. They occupied the second floor. Peter stayed at our home occupying the bedroom behind the kitchen. He fixed our breakfast and then headed to the club.

Thanksgiving, we missed Nonna and Marcel. James and his group with the help of the cooks at the Home, did very well. The food was delicious, you hardly missed Marcel but I did miss Nonna.

That week-end we went fishing. We took all of the boys on Friday. Colin had a Turkey dinner for the Captain and First Mate. They appreciated the apple pie and I knew why. James had incorporated maple sugar in the pie.

Friday fishing went well, the older boys set the traps so we had plenty of shrimp and a few lobsters. Saturday, we took the girls and filled in the chairs with boys. Our older boys showed the younger boys how to set the traps. Mary Ann decided she didn’t like fishing. Marie took her shopping along with Louise.

More shrimp and lobster, besides plenty of fish.

The cooks at the Home, began freezing the fish after cleaning them. Ivan took the cleanings out to his garden. He said the Indians planted corn in soiled mixed with fish. I asked him where did he hear that. “There was a book in the library at school, the books was about the early Indians and they planted they corn in a hole with a small fish. So I thought id I plowed the fish leavings into the ground and then planted my corn, it would be similar to the way the Indians grew their corn.”

“But you won’t be doing that until the spring, what are you going to do now with the cleanings.”

“The ground isn’t frozen so I can plow it. I’ll plow it into the ground and then I’ll plant corn in the spring.”

So the cooks gave him pans of the cleanings, I watched from the fourth floor as he sprinkled the cleanings over the field then start his tractor and plow it into the ground.

I smiled, Ivan will be a successful farmer.

Christmas, Colin lined up the department store for our usual visit. The children were excited, they had deposited their letters in Santa’s mail box, Stockings were hung on the doors of their rooms.

The trip to the department store in New York was always an exciting trip. As they left the bus, Colin handed each of them a 5 dollar bill. The older children took the younger by their hand as they followed our older boys into the store. And there was Santa Claus. I always led the first ones, I wanted to see their faces. Even though some of them had done this before, it seemed for them each time was the first time. Lois was ready with her tape recorder as the children sat on Santa’s lap to tell him what they wanted for Christmas. I wanted to watch Toby. Last year was his first time. I remember he whispered something to Santa that caused Santa to shed a tear. I never knew what he said.

I asked Lois to be sure and get a tape of his chat with Santa. I watched, Toby sat on Santa’s lap. Again he whispered something, Santa smiled and gave him a hug. I looked at Lois, she shook her head no.

This year when Toby was finished, he smiled walking toward me. He never made it, Tommy took his hand and off they went shopping. Each of the older boys had a younger boy in hand/ Colin had Mary Ann and Marie had Louise, part time. I had her the other part time. I think she made a game of it as Marie and I passed her back and forth.

Lunch we had at the department store’s lunch counter and then we were back on the bus heading to the Home. They started to sing Jingle bells on our bus and when we could see into the second bus they were singing jingle bells as well. Ronnie and Tommy had bells and they were ringing them. On our bus it was Ivan and Richie with the bells.

Arriving at the Home, there was a warm drink waiting for them and then placing their gifts under the tree. I don’t know where Colin and the boys got the tree but it is always a live tree. After Christmas it will be planted outside. I’m waiting for someone to decided to decorate all of the trees we have had and had been planted outside.

The Home looked festive. Stockings hung outside their rooms. Wreathes on the dining room, walls, evergreen limbs on the center of the tables with red and green candles. I knew they wouldn’t be lit, they were for decorations only. And at each plate was a marshmallow snowman with a small carrot nose. I thought the cooks were busy while we were gone.

I wasn’t sure if this year was better than last year but I knew we would miss Marcel in the kitchen as we missed Nonna at Thanksgiving . People come into our lives, leave their mark and then move on. Thinking that, I looked around the game room. All of the children were there. The boys were showing Christmas movies and cartoons. I noticed a few wet eyes among the kids. I asked Lois to get me the files on those that seemed to more emotional.

“When you leave, I’ll give you the files.”

Colin looked at me, soon he was beside me. “Are you okay?”

“No, look at these children, they should be laughing, some have tears. I think they can hide their feelings most of the time, but not the holidays. Do you think they fantasize and in their mind they create a world were they exist without the hurt of memories.”

“I think some do, but remember there are children here with bad memories of their past as well.”

“I wish we could adopt all of them.”

“In a way we have. When you look at one of these children, what do you think? I know if there is one that hurts, he or she will be on your lap. You have provided these kids with activities that they probably would never had. Ball games, visits to the zoo, remember the visit to Broadway to see Lion King, you are always looking for activities for these kids.”

“But they still hurt.”

“Life hurts.”

I heard Colin’s words but , in my mind, it isn’t enough. They need to be held, a hug and a kiss on their head. Mary Ann brought her doll over, I lifted her to sit on my lap.

“Dad, Shirley needs a doll like mine.”

“Who is Shirley?”

She got off my lap as I watched her go to this little girl who was sitting on a chair by herself. She said something, and brought her to me.

“Hello Shirley” Lifting her to my lap. “Mary Ann said you asked Santa Claus for a doll, is that right?” I got a head movement indicating yes.

“You know I know Santa and I think he has a doll for you that has blond hair just like yours.”

Colin took out a pad, I knew he wrote blonde hair doll on it.

Shirley smiled looking at me. She had blue eyes that drew you in. I leaned over and kissed her cheek. She through her arms around my neck and held on. Lois came and asked her if she was ready for some ice cream. I got a sloppy kiss on my cheek. Colin handed me his handkerchief, I didn’t use it, handing it back.

The cartoon was paused as the cooks started to give them a dish of ice cream with a cookie.

I looked at Colin, mouthed, “Before dinner.” He pointed to his watch. I checked my watch, it was only 1:30. I then realized we left very early in the morning to drive to New York City, they had an early lunch and they would have a normal dinner at five so this would hold them over.

The cook gave Colin and I a bowl of ice cream. I offered some to one of the kids who was sitting next me. He took it and smiled, the next thing I knew, the kids where lined up for a spoon of my ice cream even thought they had their own bowl. When my bowl was empty, Colin gave me his bowl and then went to get more. Out of three bowls, I had one teaspoon. And I didn’t care, they had some of Uncle’s ice cream and that was all that mattered.

That evening at home, “Armand, you don’t get it do you?”

“Get what?”

“The impact you have on those children.”

“I’m not the only one. You have an impact as well. I haven’t done anything that you haven’t done. You’re the one who has arrange their trips and the fishing. You have actually done more for these children than I have.”

“You have something I don’t. It what was made me fall in love with you. You have compassion, so much it exudes from you. I think GG has given you more then you talent as an artist.”

“I love you.” “I know, and I love you as well.”

I kissed Colin then I had to kiss the small children as well. The older boys and girls gave me a hug. I whispered Colin needs one also. Then I watched as the little kids kissed Colin and the older kids hugged him. His face turned red, I laughed.

We stayed at the Home Christmas Eve. Colin put a quarter into each stocking that was hung on their room door. Our older boys followed with candy canes, and toy car or truck for the boys, a doll for the girls. I followed and gave them paints sets while Pat added candy canes. The older boys added paper back books, according to age.

Waking in the morning, there was a lot of excitement. The stockings were dumped on their bed as they sorted through them. They had a large chocolate Santa in each stocking.

“Did you put the chocolate Santa in their stocking?”

“No, I thought you did. Maybe the cooks did.”

I asked Pat and the cooks, they said no. Now who was the mysterious person who gave them the chocolate Santa.

“Colin, was James and his crew here?”

“No, they will be here after breakfast to help with lunch and dinner.”

Christmas was always special for me. My mom and dad along with Colin’s mom and dad showed up early Christmas morning. They had gifts for the children, Dad brought a large carton, is was filled with coloring books. Mom had a smaller box it contained crayons. Colin’s mom and dad showed up with boxes containing small cars and Colin’s mom had boxes of tracks for the cars.

Looking at Mom and Dad, “No gifts for the girls?”

The Dads went to the car and came back with several dolls of various sizes. There was a doll for every girl according to their age. The Moms went back and brought In blankets and dresses for the dolls.

The boys brought their cars to Colin and me showing us. Colin said that when they were older he would buy them a car exactly like the ones they had. I looked at Colin, whispering, “You better start saving now.”

The girls brought their dolls to me and I had to kiss them. I also kissed the girls on their cheeks.

Colin had brought them banks a few Christmases ago, so we watched as they dropped their quarters into their banks. Colin, being a wise guy, added a quarter when they showed us dropping their quarter from their stocking into their banks. Now they presented their banks to us. I didn’t have any quarters, I looked at Colin, he smiled. “You are wicked.” Then he handed me several rolls of quarters.

Breakfast was crepes but something was different. I looked at Colin, “What?”

“The crepes, do they taste different to you?”

“No, they taste they always did.”

I looked at Marie, “Marie, the crepes.”

She nodded and then we broke out laughing heading for the kitchen. There was Marcel, he came back for Christmas. I didn’t care who was there, I grabbed him and kissed his cheek. Marie was kissing the other cheek. “Come with me.”

Colin looked and then he was out of his chair and hugging Marcel.

“You came back?”

“No, I came back for Christmas. I return to France January 3rd. We closed the school for the Holiday.”

Later that evening, sitting with Marcel he told us about the school. Asked how James was doing, and of course we told him that the Sunday crowd doesn’t know he left.

That evening at home, “It was nice to see Marcel again.”

“Do you think he will come back for the holidays?”

“I think he will come back anytime the school is closed. It was good to see him.”

“Colin, I think we need to spend more time at the Home. Those kids miss us.”

“Why don’t you paint there. That solarium on the fourth floor was design for you. You can go there after the kids are off to school and you’ll be back home when they are done for the day.”

“Maybe I’ll paint Nonna there. I’ll paint Christen’s wife at home. I wonder if I could teach the boys to make frames.”

That night, GG came and said I need to think about spending more time at the Home. There is a young boy who will need my help. When I asked who? She said I will know when the time is right.

New Year’s eve we took the children to a see fire works at the ball field where the Goats played. The young children sat on the adults lap and when a loud firework went off, we covered their ears. We had the two buses, the vans and.the boys cars. The children from the Home, friends of the boys, parents and friends from the club. The small stadium was full and some of the people were sitting on the edge of the fields.

Colin bought the kids boxes of chocolate covered raisins. I noticed some of the children didn’t open their boxes.

We had a sleepy bus going back to the Home. Colin and I stayed long enough to tuck them in bed.

Driving home, “Colin, why didn’t you build our home on the same property as the Home.”

“Then I would probably never see you. I’m surprised you don’t spend more time there now.”

I thought about that and he was right. I would be at the Home more than the house.

“You need an occasional break from the Home. It would have absorbed all of your time to the exclusion of our boys and your painting.”

Now I had something to think about. Am I cheating our boys if I spend more time at the Home.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 30
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

21 hours ago, JohnnyC said:

Thank You So Much for The Latest Chapter , The Holidays Can Be Hard On Some Souls & Joyous For Others . Good to See Marcel For Christmas too , I Wonder What Little Boy Needs Armand’s Love Next ??? Merry Christmas GIF by NBC

or girl.  You can bet if someone needs help, Armand and Colin will be there

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I really do not know how you do it but every chapter in this story turns into a tearjerker for me. There is not a single instance I can mention that is not great. I love this story in spite of my eyes always overflowing with tears. As always. Great job keep up with the good work. Love and lots of hugs. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

You continue to amaize* me with each new chapter you write Cal. This one proves that yet again.

Time marches on. Marcel returns to France to take over the cooking academy as his brother who runs it is ill.

By my calculation it's about 8 years since Tommy was adopted, followed by Ronnie, Richie and Ivan. That means Armand and Colin are in their mid-30s when Toby, John, Louis, Anthony, Louise and Mary Ann join the family. Now GG is telling Armand that he needs to spend more time at The Home as there is a young boy who needs his help. But this takes him away from his own home and family?

Colin has Armand now painting in a studio at The Home instead of at their home where his youngest 6 children can see him more. Yet Colin later remarks: “You need an occasional break from the Home. It would have absorbed all of your time to the exclusion of our boys and your painting.”

Reflecting on this, Armand thinks: 'Am I cheating our boys if I spend more time at the Home'?

Unless they're careful something has give, and children or their marriage may be hurt.

GG?

*Using fish heads, entrails and bones that break down into fertilizers is especially useful in growing corn (maize). Both initially plowed into soil before planting, then as a liquid fertilizer sprayed onto soil after intitial 'silk' starts to sprout on stalks.

200.gif

Field Of Dreams Baseball GIF by MLB

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 1/26/2023 at 7:53 AM, Freddie1 said:

I really do not know how you do it but every chapter in this story turns into a tearjerker for me. There is not a single instance I can mention that is not great. I love this story in spite of my eyes always overflowing with tears. As always. Great job keep up with the good work. Love and lots of hugs. 

Freddie, thank you for your sincere comments. I'll tell you one of my secrets. I write as if I was living the life of one of my characters. Now knowing that, I'll let you figure who I am in the story. BtW, I change character several times with in a chapter.\

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 1/26/2023 at 3:28 PM, Anton_Cloche said:

You continue to amaize* me with each new chapter you write Cal. This one proves that yet again.

Time marches on. Marcel returns to France to take over the cooking academy as his brother who runs it is ill.

By my calculation it's about 8 years since Tommy was adopted, followed by Ronnie, Richie and Ivan. That means Armand and Colin are in their mid-30s when Toby, John, Louis, Anthony, Louise and Mary Ann join the family. Now GG is telling Armand that he needs to spend more time at The Home as there is a young boy who needs his help. But this takes him away from his own home and family?

Colin has Armand now painting in a studio at The Home instead of at their home where his youngest 6 children can see him more. Yet Colin later remarks: “You need an occasional break from the Home. It would have absorbed all of your time to the exclusion of our boys and your painting.”

Reflecting on this, Armand thinks: 'Am I cheating our boys if I spend more time at the Home'?

Unless they're careful something has give, and children or their marriage may be hurt.

GG?

*Using fish heads, entrails and bones that break down into fertilizers is especially useful in growing corn (maize). Both initially plowed into soil before planting, then as a liquid fertilizer sprayed onto soil after intitial 'silk' starts to sprout on stalks.

200.gif

Field Of Dreams Baseball GIF by MLB

Are you a farmer? Kidding, My dad grew up on a farm and we always had a garden of some type. I remember hoeing when I was a child. He loved his farm as much as Ivan loved his small farm at the Home. I would sneak a fresh tomato from his farm and eat it like an apple. Best ever.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
42 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

I would sneak a fresh tomato from his farm and eat it like an apple. Best ever.

Most people don't know that the tomato 🍅  is a fruit and not a vegetable!

Is_it_a_fruit_or_a_veg_article_tomato_bo

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..