Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,552 Words
  • 1,387 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 86. Chapter 86

The boys had to say goodbye to their new friends. I told them to get their address and they could send them letters. Nonna gave them paper and pencil. Richie had to go and say goodbye to the goats, he had an entourage.

Our car came to take us to the airport and Colin. Before I left, I asked Carmella to make a trip in late October. We agreed she would stay until Thanksgiving and return home for Christmas. I was thinking we would make a trip during Christmas break.

Arriving in Rome, three young gentlemen were anxious to see a very important individual. Truth to be told, so was I. The plane from Madrid wouldn’t arrive for another 30 minutes. I checked the flight board for the gate. We checked our luggage at the check in point. I never noticed it before but in the US, you can check your luggage outside the terminal. Here, we checked our luggage inside the terminal.

“Let’s go to the gate and wait for Pop.” The smile on the faces of these boys lightens my day and life.

“Look out of that window, that’s Pop’s plane. In a flash, three faces were pressed against the glass window. I waited as people exited from the plane into the arrival halls. Then, Colin arrived and was swamped by all three of them. The smile on Colin’s face told the story. He was back with his family.

We walked to the departure lounge, Richie held my hand, the other two held Colin’s hands. Arriving at the lounge, we had to wait for our plane to get ready for boarding. From the lounge’s windows, the boys watched the activity on the ground. I knew if they had any questions, they would asked Colin. He would look at me, “You know the answers, tell them.”

I realized this was an attempt on the boy’s part not only to understand what was happening but also to reconnect. I had to think about that, Colin left early Friday morning, he was gone two full days and most of today. I wonder if they knew someone at the orphanage who was abandon. I’ll ask Pat the next time I see her.

I think there are two times when the adrenalin flows, boarding, knowing you will be flying soon and landing, knowing the plane is heading into an airport. Flying home I had Richie and the other two boys sat with Colin. Service on the flight was similar to our flight over. Dinner was served after we reached cruising altitude and breakfast would be served in the morning. Our flight will arrive at JFK about 2 pm.

This time when the steward came to take our dinner order, Richie wanted to know what I was going to order. I told him, he wanted to know if it was good. The steward answer while pouring my coffee. “It is the best of all the choices.”

I looked at Richie, I nodded yes. He smiled and nodded yes. I told the steward we would take the espaguetis ala bolonesa with a side salad. I had a coffee and Richie had a chocolate milk. He knew the milk would contain chocolate ice cream. I made a mental note to get a small ice cream freezer for the bar at home.

Our dinner was very good. I couldn’t finish mine but I needn’t worry, I had a young man next to me that helped me to clean my plate. I put my seat back, relaxed and fell asleep.I woke to find Colin in Richie’s seat and Richie with the boys. “What did I miss?”

“The boys had to go to the bathroom. When we came back, Richie wanted to sit with the boys.”

“Nice” I fell back to sleep.

Colin woke me at noon, “Wake up, they are going to serve breakfast.”

I check my watch, “It’s lunch time.”

“By your watch but your stomach says, breakfast.” Coming fully awake, flying east you get breakfast but flying west you would think you would get lunch. Recognizing that you would have missed breakfast, the airlines offer a meal that would pass for breakfast or lunch.

I looked over the menu, they had scrambled eggs with a choice of breakfast meats, or they had egg sandwiches with cheese. “I better go and sit with the boys. I’ll help them make their selection.”

I watched as he asked one of the boys to come and sit with me. I expected Richie to come but Ronnie came instead. I hugged him as he passed in front of me, he sat down on my lap. Looking at me he laughed. I put my arms around him, holding him. When he tried to get up. I pulled him down onto my lap. We did that a few times until the steward came to take our orders, then he sat in his seat.

“Dad, what are going to order?”

“I was thinking about scramble eggs with sausage with a side of fruit. What do want?”

He wasn’t sure, “Order the egg sandwich. I’ll give you some of mine.”

That is what we did. I had coffee and Ronny had chocolate milk. I wasn’t sure if he preferred milk or the chocolate ice cream in the milk.

As I expected, we had to make a trip to the bathroom. Returning, the boys were glued to the windows.

You could feel the plane descending, the boys became excited. Soon you could see buildings, and then the long awaited bump, we had landed.

Exiting the plane, the boys were excited. Clearing customs, at the luggage area, Colin went to the luggage belt, I stood back with the boys. The boys were anxious, they could see Colin’s mom and dad peering through the glass partition.

Finally, we had our luggage. Before exiting the arrival hall, our luggage had to be scanned. One of the police had a dog that sniffed the luggage. The boys wanted to pet the dog, I told them the dog was working and can’t be disturbed.

Then, suitcases dropped as the boys were in the arms of Colin’s parents.

Dad had rented a limo, so the boys sat in back with Mom and Colin. I sat in front with Dad. I spent a lot of my time with Mom, but not as much time with Colin’s dad. This gave me the opportunity to chat with Dad.

He asked how did the boys handle the trip. I gave him a recap, I knew the boys will fill in the gaps.

“Dad, have you ever thought about taking a trip to Europe?”

“Mary and I thought about it.”

“Well think about it. Maybe we can plan a family trip next summer.”

Riding home, I thought that could be exciting. Beside Colin’s folks, I’ll ask my mom and dad as well. It will be a truly family vacation.

Arriving home, the boys took their suitcases and headed to their room. I invited Mom and Dad to come in for lunch since it was Sunday.

The boys came down in their usual clothes. “Did you hang your suits in the closets?”

They nodded yes, pointing their fingers at Richie. They headed to see Jimmy who was lining up three glasses. Colin and I sat down with Mom and Dad. I wasn’t hungry so ordered an appetizer with a glass of my favorite wine. Colin ordered the French lunch. I got up on the pretense of bringing a bottle of wine to the table. I told Jimmy to tell Marcel to serve Colin bread and cheese only.

Walking back to the table with a bottle of wine, Anna stopped me. Speaking Italian she wanted to know how the boys did. Before I could answer, three boys took over. I smiled and headed to our table with the wine.

“Armand, are the boys speaking Italian?”

“Yes and that young girl they are talking to is their teacher.”

She came over to our table, I introduced her to Colin’s parents. Looking at Colin, “The boys seemed to increased their language skills. How about you?”

To my surprise he answered her in Italian. The look on Mom and Dad’s face said it all.

“Colin, when did you learn Italian? We couldn’t get you to learn any language when you were in high school”

“He also knows Spanish.”

“I don’t believe it.” Colin was smiling.

Our waiter brought over our meals. When he sat the bread and cheese in front of Colin, “Paul, I didn’t order this.”

“You ordered the French lunch.”

Colin looked at me, I reached over and patted his stomach. Looking at my plate, “I’ll trade you.” I smiled as I poured his wine.

“Dad, I think you need to sign Colin up for your gym.” Laughing, the boys came over to see what was funny.

“We think Pop needs to join a gym. What do you think?”

All three went and rubbed his belly. Ronny spoke person for the boys, “Pop, you need to go to the gym.”

Colin got up to grab them, they ran to James in the kitchen.

Lunch over, Mom and Dad left, Colin went to his office, the boys and I headed for the roof. And that is where Colin found us.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 31
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Home again.  I really hope that John and Mary as well as Armand's parents to for that vacation next summer.  I do hope it will be longer.  Two weeks is a bit short for visiting all the places Armand has friends.  The boy's will be telling everyone they know, about the trip for many weeks to come.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..