Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,503 Words
  • 1,231 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 122. Chapter 122

The next morning we were ready to go fishing. The ladies wanted to go shopping, I gave Mom my credit card and told her to use it for her purchases and Marie’s. I didn’t include Mary. After talking with Colin, he gave her his credit card.

Again I had the chef at the hotel prepare us lunch, we all had breakfast together. The boys talked abut fishing, the women talked about their shopping trip. The Dads, Colin and I listened. I made a mental note to plan on fishing trips when we got home.

 

Walking to the boat, we were met by Alesander. He was asking the boys if they were ready to go fishing, I started to laugh. “That is all they talked about last night and this morning. Is you grandfather ready to go out?”

“Yes, he was catching crabs when I left.”

“Aren’t some of those crabs good to eat?”

“I suppose but I’m not sure which ones are good. The other fishermen also use them as bait.”

I knew some of them must be good to eat. I’ll see if I can find a book which will tell which ones are good to eat.

Arriving at the wharf, the boys headed for the boat. By the time the Dads, Colin and I reached the boat, the boys were already helping Grandfather catching crabs.

Welcoming us aboard, we set out and within 30 minutes, the boys started to fish. We hadn’t reached the site, but the boys were anxious and Grandfather said it was okay. I was surprised when Ronny pulled in the first fish. He just smiled as Grandfather took the fish off his hook and dropped it into the holding tank. I looked around and then I realized Grandfather was running at less knots today compared as yesterday.

Forty-five minutes later, Grandfather cut the engine and fishing was on. The boys had their lines in most of the way. “Boys, you better check your lines to see if you have any bait on your hooks.”

Ronnie had his line baited, but the other boys had lost theirs. Lines all baited, the boys were on one side, Dads, Colin and I on the other side. Alesander was baiting the traps.

I knew that Marko would prefer shrimp and lobster over fish. His paella contains only shrimp and lobster, I have eaten fried fish there only once and it was for lunch.

“Alesander, who buys your grandfathers catch?”

“The people who live close to the wharf.”

“Where do the hotels get their fish?”

“I don’t know. I’d guess they order it along with their other food supplies.”

“When we come in tonight, I want you to take a fish to the chef at my hotel.”

If this works, then he will need a small truck to take his fish to several hotels.

We continue to fish, I was surprised how many tuna we were catching. “Isn’t there other fish in this water besidet tuna?’

“These waters contain several different types of tuna. Grandfather is the only fisherman who comes out this far from the coast.”

“Where do the other fishermen fish?”

“Some closer to shore and some go to the south end of the bay.”

“Is that better fishing?”

“No, but the fish are smaller. Look, one of the boys has a fish on his line.”

I watched as Alesander went to help Ivan. The fish was a tuna and looked to be about 20 pounds.

“That is a nice size fish. Good job Ivan.” The smile and the pats on the back by the boys caused a little puffed out chest.

“Alesander, how many people could that fish serve.”

“I’d guess maybe 10.” Now I knew the problem. The fish Ivan caught was to big for a family unless for a special occasion. The other fishermen caught fish probably a lot smaller.

Sitting next to Colin, “I think I know what Grandfather’s problems are. He likes to catch big fish which he can’t sell. That fish that Ivan just caught would feed a large family, and compared to yesterday, it is small.”

“You have an idea.”

“Yes, sell his fish to hotels or companies that supply fish. He would have to sell by the pound and he may have to cut up a fish to meet a smaller market. He could take Ivan’s fish, filet it and sell it by the kilo.”

We continued to fish until we had lunch. I watched the boys, if they caught what I considered a big fish, I took it off their hook and let it go. Every time I did that, Grandfather made a comment about it being stupid letting the fish go.

“Alesander, please remind your Grandfather that I have rented his boat and any fish, shrimp or lobster we catch belong to me.” I was hoping to show him that small fish sell and big fish don’t.

The traps were doing well. We had several full traps of shrimp and three times more lobsters then we had yesterday. Going back to the docks, I told Alesander to get Marko to come and buy the shrimp and lobster.

At the dock, I took several small fish and offered them to several ladies who were buying fish from the other boats. Soon there were several ladies buying our fish.

Alesander came back with Marko and when he saw the shrimp and lobster, he bought everything. Seeing some of the smaller fish he bought several tuna as well. I was hoping Grandfather would be convinced to keep smaller fish and large fish would be difficult to sell.

The boys were catching some crabs for bait. “Dad, are we going fishing tomorrow?”

“No, we have some sight seeing to do and if we have time before we go to see Nonna, we might do another fishing trip.”

That seemed to satisfy them. After Marko paid for his shrimp, lobster and fish, “Alesander, take two of the larger fish for the hotel chef.” If the chef likes the fish then maybe I’ll help Alesander start a business based on Grandfather’s fishing boat.

 

Walking back to our hotel with the fish, followed by a few cats, the boys were laughing and they asked some of the people if they wanted to buy any fish. Arriving at the hotel, we took the fish to the chef. I asked him to preparfe the fish for our dinner.. I watched as he took the fish, checked and found it cleaned, smelled it and then he put it into the refrigerator. I told him I wanted the whole fished baked with a savory herb stuffing. Colin looked at me.

“Boys, let’s get showered so we don’t smell like fish. Put your clothes in the laundry bag and we will get the hotel to wash them.”

Colin and I went to do the same, while showering, “Why did you tell the chef how to cook the fish.”

“Grandfather takes pride on catching large tunas. Only businesses can use a large fish or a hotel kitchen. A family of five would eat a week off of that tuna we caught yesterday. I think one of the reasons Alesander’s grandfather catches the large tuna is because he can boost only he catches the large fish. But unless you are a business or hotel, can you use a large fish. He would make more money if he caught smaller fish. He doesn’t believe that. If I am right, tonight at dinner, other guests will smell our fish and want to try some as well.”

“Marko buys his fish.”

“Marko buys his shrimp and lobster to make his paella. He bought that tuna yesterday, did you see it on his menu last night?”

“I hope you are right?”

“If not, we will have a good dinner tonight.”

At 6 we met in the dining room. The maitre’d pulled a few tables together so we all could sit as a family. We ordered a starter and then we ordered our fish with a side of mixed vegetables. We had ordered a small salad as a starter. Our waiter looked at us, a starter is generally not a salad.

We were talking about fishing, the ladies politely listened. “How was your shopping trip?” Then we listened as they told us about their shopping.

When the fish arrived. The aroma permeated the dining room. I think your mouth watered even if you didn’t like fish. The waiter pulled together two serving stands to hold the tray, he had the whole fish on a large platter. I always wonder if waiters went to school to learn how to carve. Our waiter made one slice into the fish and the aroma from that slice started your mouth to water. He served the fish to the ladies first, then the boys. The men were last. When he was done serving, there was more than half of the fish left. I was looking at the boys, they were smiling, breathing in the aroma of their fish.

Our waiter came to me, “Sir, some of the guests would like to taste the fish. Do you mind?”

I certainly didn’t, I was hoping for something like this. Then Alesander arrived looking for us. I waved him over to our table. I asked our waiter to set another plate for him. I also could feel GG smiling.

“Alesander, some of the guests would like to try your fish, what do you say?”

Looking at the waiter, “If there is enough fish, offer them a taste. You can tell them the hotel will offer this special fish every Friday.”

I looked at him. “I came to pick up my final check and I stopped in the kitchen. I’ll supply a large tuna every Friday.”

“Did Marko take the shrimp and lobster?”

“Yes, and he said he would take all we catch.”

“Maybe, you can go out for the shrimp and lobster everyday. I don’t think you will have to go out so far. You might mention that to the chef.”

Our waiter was back, “Sir, should I ask the chef to prepare the other fish?”

“Alesander, do you have anymore large tuna?”

“No, but I will have another tomorrow.”

Looking at the waiter, “Yes, have the chef prepare the other tuna. With the chef’s help, determine a fair price for the dinner. Since it is my fish, we will split the receipts 50-50.” Our waiter left, telling some of the clients it will take a little time for the chef to prepare the fish. I heard one of the guests make a comment about he thought the fish was already prepared. I listened as our waiter told him that the fish was caught by a guest and had asked the chef to prepare one for him. He has agreed to have the chef prepare the other, but it will take some time. The guest wasn’t happy, but the waiter offered him a glass of wine while he waited. That seemed to solve the problem.

“Alesander, stay here until closing. We will walk you back to your boat and hopefully we will get enough money for a fishing trip for you and your grandfather tomorrow.”

During our dinner, I spoke to Alesander about some ideas I had. Colin looked at me. “Are you going into the fishing business as well?”

“Yes, why not.” Then I started to laugh. “We would have to fly over at least once every three months to check the books.” The boys’s ears picked up when I said that.

Later that evening after we walked Alesander back to his home with the money from his fish. We did make arrangements for another fishing trip for our dads.

“Armand, you are not serious about opening a business here, are you?”

“No, but I think Alesander could with a little help. My guess there is enough business here for the other fishermen as well. I’d like you to help me design a business plan for Alesander to follow.”

“What did you have in mind?”

“I thought of two channels, one based on shrimp and lobster and the other based on fish. If he could open a store on the wharf offering shrimp, lobster and small fish. He would buy the fish from the fishermen, and then he could hire men to clean it. With an ice truck, he could deliver fish, shrimp and lobster to the various hotels. He could sell the fish whole or by the kilo. What do you think?”

“When is Carlos coming?”

“Tomorrow. We’ll take him fishing.”

“I’d like to go to the old city tomorrow.”

“Maybe we could take it easy tomorrow. You and the boys can swim. We haven’t slowed up since we got here. When Carlos gets here, will be a good time to go to the old city. I’m sure he will want to see the church.”

That evening we did go to the roof. The boys thought that was great, I think Colin did as well. Marie came and kept me company. Our folks said they were going to turn in for a good nights sleep.

Sitting on the roof with a small glass of wine, “Marie, what do you think of Spain?”

“So far I’m finding it an interesting place. You and Colin seem to be comfortable here.”

“We are. Do you remember that wall I painted at the club?”

“Faintly”

“When we go home, you can check it out again. I think you will see a lot of our trip in that mural. Everyplace we went, Colin would say something to the effect of ‘you need to paint that’.” I waited for a reaction to my comment about when we go home. None came, I think Marie missed the boys and us.

“Dad, we’re tired.”

“Do you want something to drink and then we can go to our rooms. We just need to get Pop out of the pool.”

“”We should have a pool at home. Pop would probably stay in it all day.”

We laughed as I ordered a small glass of wine for them. When they finish that, they will be ready for a good nights sleep.

When the wine came, Colin asked where is his. I told him he didn’t need help falling a sleep. He forgot where he was, he started to laugh and ended up coughing. The boys were ready to jump back into the pool.

“I’m okay, I just got a mouth of water.”

“I’ll take the boys down. I’m ready to turn in for the night also.”

“Thanks, Marie.” Colin ordered glass of wine, I didn’t need any more, I still had a half of glass my wine to finish.

We sat there, enjoying our wine and being alone. I felt close to Colin and for me I hoped I would never lose that feeling.

With empty glasses, and the bartender telling us he was closing, we went to our hotel room.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 31
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 11/19/2022 at 10:46 AM, scrubber6620 said:

Armand is very creative and helpful. He has given Alesander good ideas to expand the fishing business and may even help him financially. The family continues to have a wonderful time. They get along and enjoy the simple things. 

Family is important to Armand.  Being an only child, he enjoys the boys. I wonder if he wishes he had a brother or sister.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 11/19/2022 at 12:53 PM, weinerdog said:

I believe Alesander is willing to work and will be all in on Colin's business  plan but the big question is can he persuade Grandfather?

You are right, can he persuade his grandfather to change his view on fishing? If not, and he can get the other fishermen to cooperate, he still can make a successful business

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 11/19/2022 at 2:44 PM, drsawzall said:

The market is there, it will take some work but Alesander and his grandfather have a path to success!

The question - will they walk the same path

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 11/19/2022 at 7:52 PM, Anton_Cloche said:

A wonderful chapter.

With their interest in saving another boy from a possible life on the street, and GG's appearance, it usually means Armand (and Colin) are on the right track. 'Fishing' business has the potential for success.

By having Alesander deliver the 2 tuna fish to the hotel's chef, and Armand's specific instructions for the chef to bake it stuffed for their dinner (versus pan-fried), Armand teaches Alesander important business steps by his example: 

· Procurement (catch the right fish & seafood) to meet market demand;

· Sales: Sell tuna to hotel restaurant and potentially to 'walk by' customers;

· Marketing: proper cooking resulted in a "mouth-watering" dinner other guests not only want, but are prepared to wait for. The hotel sees a new way to make more money. And 'market demand' starts;

· Distribution: As 'word of mouth' spreads, more interest grows in a possible A&G Pescadería (Alesander & Grandfather). 

With angel investor(s) to guide him, instead of "Money" hungry "Sharks", AND dropping in regularly to see how things are going,, Alesander may have found his future.

Shark Tank No GIF

We also see the seeds planted in Marie's mind have her leaning toward returning to America.

Things seemed to be going swimmingly (sorry, couldn't resist the lure of a pun 😉:whistle:).

 

🪝'ed

I can hire you for an interpreter of my incomplete developed stories. the kind of guy who reads between the lines.  I'm kidding of course. Frankly, I'm proud of my readers, they add to my stories. "GG, look after them but don't scare the hell out of them when you contact them.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

We know that Alesander will always take care of his grandfather.  Whether or not he gets grandfather to agree, Alesander now has a path to success.  Armand's comment about going back to the US with Marie wasn't very subtle, but hopefully will be successful in the end.  I am sure that the boys will make similar comments.  She will have a more difficult time ignoring the boys.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..