Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,756 Words
  • 964 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 178. Chapter 178

Christmas was around the corner. Our Italian contingents left to return home on the first of December. Someone had to finish a painting. I thought it was the best he had ever done. When he showed Carla, he got a kiss on his cheek. He blushed but I knew that kiss was fully appreciated.

“Carl, I have decided to move my studio to the Home studio, this can be your studio. I’ll still come here to make my frames, but this area will be yours. I think that your painting of Carla has been your best to date. Keep doing that and your name will be known in the art circles.”

Do you think Carl was happy? The next day he had his name painted on the door to the studio, “Carl’s Studio”

When Colin saw it he laughed. “You really are going to spend time at the Home.”

“Yes, not sure how much painting I’ll get done but I need to paint a portrait of a special family for a young man.”

“How do you know what they look like? You have no idea and I’m sure David can’t help.”

“I have someone who can show me.” “GG” “Yes”

Over the next few days, while the kids were in school, I began to move my equipment to the Home. I took David with me, he spent the time in the library. I knew I needed to get him a tutor so he could reach the appropriate school grade for his age. I asked Roger and Ronnie if they knew any tutors. Roger thought there may be students in the education department who might be interested. Four days later he provided me with a list of five students that expressed an interest. Now I had to interview these students but I wanted Colin also to interview them, either with me or alone. I also wanted GG’s input although that may not happen. She isn’t at my beck and call.

Colin and I agree to interview these students over dinner. I told Roger what we had decided, he agreed if we did it one student per night. Over the next five nights, we had a student guest for dinner. Our discussions were general. With our family eating with us, we had the opportunity to judge how the students reacted to our family. I thought that interaction was important, Colin focused more on their studies and future plans. I was surprised, not all of the student's Roger suggested wanted to be teachers at the grade school level. Two of the group were working toward their Ph.D.s, one for teaching at a university and the other for creating educational material. Colin and I agreed that these two students were overqualified. I felt the tutor must not only teach but must also develop a friendship with David. It was my opinion he did not need a stern approach, but one based on encouragement and friendship.

When the dinner interviews were over, we hired two of them. One who will focus on math and one to focus on what I called general studies. The tutor schedules were on different days, two days per week for each one. Thus David had three days each week to study if Saturday and Sunday were included.

Christmas was right around the corner. Colin had contacted the department store, they suggested the 22nd which this year would be a Monday. With Charles driving one bus and Colin driving the other bus we were ready.

I explained to David about Christmas shopping with the children from the Home. “You will participate as will our boys with them. You need to make a list of people you need to buy a present for. Pop and I will give you money to pay for your gifts, but next year you will need to save your money.”

“Can I have a bank like the boys have?”

Just as he said that Colin handed him a bank that jingle with some coins in it. I am always amazed at David’s reaction to the gifts we and others give him. I wonder if he ever thinks about his time on the street and losing his family. Ronnie, who shares his room with him had said he sometimes cries in his sleep. My thoughts went to GG. She comforted the other boys, why isn’t she comforting him?

David had one more Christmas present, the Friday before Christmas, we adopted David. Tommy had set everything in motion, and Richie, who finished school, acted as our lawyer. The day of Christmas shopping was hectic. The boys and girls at the Home were too excited to eat their breakfast. The cooks gave them egg sandwiches to eat on the bus and bottles of milk. Our boys were taking care of the children including David. I knew that Colin and I always looked forward to this trip, but I didn’t think our older boys did as well. Ivan and Elsie caused a stir with their baby and Santa. I think everyone who had a camera took a picture. Little Ivan's eyes were big as he looked upon Santa sitting in his chair with his elves around him. The noise alone would prevent him from sleeping.

Lunch was hot dogs with chocolate milk and an ice cream bar for dessert. I checked on David, he had his wrapped packages, I wanted to take them, but there was no way he would let me.

The ride back was just as jolly, I counted jingle bells at least 4 times. The smiles on the faces of the children seemed to wash away all of the sadness they had experienced. They had participated in the Christmas ritual of the past so they knew what to expect, buying gifts for their friends, sitting on Santa Claus’s lap, and singing Christmas songs. Arriving at the Home, they stopped in front of the door, looking up at the Angel, they gave thanks before entering the Home. Then a rush to place wrapped gifts under the tree in the living room. I don’t know where Charles gets the tree but it is always beautiful. While we were shopping, Charles and his family bring and decorate a tree. Santa came and additional gifts were placed under the tree. Tommy had a list of clothes and sizes, and Charles had brought some movies. This was going to be a great Christmas, particularly for David.

Armand had one gift for David. With GG’s help, he had an idea of what David’s parents looked like. In his Home studio, he painted them with David. He wasn’t sure whether to show it to David at the Home or wait until they were home. Colin told him to give it to him at home. He knew David would cry and that would be better at home where he had more privacy.

Christmas was over but not the holiday. The children continued to sing Christmas songs, Charles had Christmas cartoons for them and the cooks had cookies and milk for them.

The adults had their time as well. The doctor and nurse went to visit family, and the cooks followed suit, thanks to the club’s cooks who filled in. Our family stayed at the Home until the staff returned. Arriving home, under a tree were gifts Colin and I bought for them. Mostly clothes, books, and handicrafts. There was a special gift for David, his family portrait. I have seen David cry before but I have never seen him cry like he did when he saw the portrait. He was in my arms, grabbed Colin who was standing next to me, we had a three-person hug. All I heard between sobs, was thank you.

 

Christmas over, we need to prepare for Grandmier’s visit and to prepare for Anne Marie’s return. Richie would sit for the board on January 15th. He should get his results within 15 days which means Anne Marie would be back at the end of January. That didn’t happen. Colin brought her back when Richie finished taking his boards. So there was a lot of noise at our home. Charles said he had another 4 weeks to finish Richie’s home. That would be no problem, they weren’t married, so they didn’t need a home, and then they had their honeymoon which would allow Charles more time. My estimate, Charles had at least 6 weeks to finish up.

During the first week of January, after New Year’s celebrations, Grandmier arrived. Now you only heard French being spoken. David was lost but fear not, Grandmier started to tutor him in French. Every once in a while, I would hear a French word or expression from David. The children at the home also welcomed Grandmier in French. So now Granbdmeir was happy, in the morning French lessons for David and then to the Home, for French lessons as well. Colin suggested that David go to both, which meant I had to re-arrange his tutor sessions or have them at the Home. I left that decision up to the tutors. At the Home, David spent his time in the library working on his homework or learning French. I think young people can pick up a language faster than grown-ups. It seemed in no time that David was saying phrases in French.

Anne Marie arrived, alone, and Richie was extremely happy. It didn’t matter when you saw him, he had a big smile on his face. The wedding would take place the first week in February. With Maria’s help, we located a church and a banquet hall that would allow our chefs to prepare the cake and wedding buffet. Anne Marie’s family arrived, including Roberto. Colin had arranged hotel rooms for them although we had dinner with them at the club.

The ushers were Ronnie, Tommy, and Ivan, Maria was the maid of honor. We didn’t need lights, the faces of Richie and Anne Marie glowed enough. I am not a good dancer, but I did manage to have a dance with Anne Marie that ended with her kissing my cheek.

At the end of the evening, Ronnie drove them to the airport, Grandmier insisted they stay at her home when they were in Paris.

For the rest of the week, we entertained Maria’s and Anne Marie’s family. There was no sense in them staying in a hotel, so they moved and stayed with us. However, I kept an eye on Roberto and so did Ronnie when he was home.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 26
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

7 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Wow you packed in a lot of stuff in this chapter the Christmas celebrations and Richie getting married among other things. It was an awesome move to have Tommy.Ronnie and Ivan the other 3 of the 4 original boys to be ushers at the wedding.

Armand wonders why GG hasn't showed herself to David yet and comforted him.GG will know the right time I'm sure. I'm thinking she will have David's Mother with her if and when she does appear

You are right, GG picks her times carefully. Right now David is getting a lot of comfort from Armand and Ronnie. Richie is over the mountain, I don't personally believe in love at first sight. I'm sure Maria played an important part in this love affair.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, scrubber6620 said:

Life moved on happily. David received two good tutors to be better prepared for his education. Everyone visited Santa and got Christas presents Armand painted David's parents with GG 's help. David was so pleased--he cried,.

Grandmier moved back , taught more French to the kids and Ann Marie arrived early. Ritchie and she were married in early February and will honeymoon for two weeks. Their home should be ready when they returm

 

All is well. No troubles--so far. Love abounds throughout.....

Yes, but you know the old proverb. No road runs smoothly forever. There is always a bump sooner or later. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
6 hours ago, mansexlover said:

Wow...I would have thought we would have had a chapter on Christmas and another on the wedding......  these two aspects were over too quickly for me.

I will remember that. The calendar ruled in that chapter and things did move fast. I'm sure important dates have crept up on you as they did for Colin and Armand

  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 hours ago, mikedup said:

A very merry Christmas to all in the the story, a good board exam , wedding, and a very emotional David , this chapter had it all without forgetting GG,  everyone has a great time , it is the season to be jolly and they were most definitely jolly

I didn’t know Ivan was mearried  and already had a child. So, in fact, Collin and Armand are already grand parents. (no fuss?).

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 5/27/2023 at 9:52 AM, mikedup said:

A very merry Christmas to all in the the story, a good board exam , wedding, and a very emotional David , this chapter had it all without forgetting GG,  everyone has a great time , it is the season to be jolly and they were most definitely jolly

There is something about Christmas. Old arguments are forgotten and good cheer holds reign. Happiness fills the Home.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 5/27/2023 at 1:36 PM, Tonyr said:

I didn’t know Ivan was mearried  and already had a child. So, in fact, Collin and Armand are already grand parents. (no fuss?).

If you go back a few chapters you can read about his wedding. Yes, as of this chapter, they are grandparents.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Had to laugh when I realized you snuck the baby in without warning @CLJobe! The holiday was great as always.  I would have been interested in a description of Richie's wedding, but maybe well get some dialogue that give some of the highlights later.  David is like a sponge and is rapidly getting the education he needs as well as some great lessons in French.  I hope Richie's and Anne Marie's honeymoon is great for them.  I look forward to them coming home to a real home.  I'm not sure if I missed something about the home.  Did Armand or Colin tell Richie about the home, or will it be a surprise?  Great chapter! 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..