Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,732 Words
  • 1,392 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 84. Chapter 84

Arriving at the airport, we checked our bags with the porter at the entrance. We walked to the gate, where Colin checked us in. Tommy and Ronnie went with Colin, Richie stayed with me. He was tightly holding my hand and no one would be able to separate us. Colin came back with our boarding passes. Handing me the pass for Richie and I, “We can go to the lounge. They will announce our flight.”. We had discussed that the boys would sit with Colin and Richie would sit with me.

We waited about 45 minutes before they announce our plane was ready for boarding. First class boarded first followed by business class and then coach class.

It didn’t take long for first class to board. “Let’s go. They are boarding business class.”

“I didn’t know you had made arrangements for business class.”

“Yes, we can afford it, after all our family deserves the best.”

I laughed, “Why not first class?”

“It’s overrated.” I laughed.

Seating arrangements were 3 - 2 in a row. Colin had Tommy and Ronnie ride with him, Richie and I took the two seat side.

The steward walked through, checking that seat belts were being used.

When everyone was on board, the doors were closed, the plane started to move. Richie grabbed my hand, hard. I put my arm around his shoulder so he could lean into me.

I have always enjoyed when the plane lifted off. If I had my way, I’d play, Into the Wild Blue Yonder, as the plane lifted off.

I looked at Richie and smiled, he relaxed. I checked Colin and the boys, they were laughing.

Reaching altitude, the stewards made the safety announcements, showing the exits and demonstrating the face masks and flotation vests. The boys listened, intensely.

We settled in our seat. Richie tried to look out of the window. As long as we were over land, you could see the lights below but soon we were over the ocean, then everything was dark.

“Are you hungry? They will be serving dinner pretty soon.” He just looked at me and smiled.

The steward came and asked us if we wanted anything to drink. He said dinner will be served in a little while.

I had coffee, I ordered chocolate milk for Richie. I looked over at Colin and it seemed he also ordered chocolate milk for the boys.

A young lady brought our drinks. I think the chocolate milk had ice cream in it. She left a menu for dinner.

Reading the menu to Richie, he chose a hamburger with fries and a dish of fruit. I ordered shrimp dish over pasta with a side salad.

They announced they would be showing a movie, I was a little concerned but as it turned out it was a movie for young people. It didn’t take long before I heard Tommy and Ronny laughing. Richie was snuggled against my arm and he would laugh into my arm.

Our young stewardess came along, asking us to raise the tables which were in the arms of the seats. “Dinner is coming. Put your glass of milk on your tray.”

The stewardess came down the aisle with a cart. She placed a tray with a hamburger and French fries on Richies table, adding a dish of fruit. Then she placed my dinner on my tray. She was followed by a steward with a coffee pot. He had a small tray with coffee cream and sugar for those who wanted it. Richie got another chocolate milk.

“Dad, what is that?” Looking at my dinner.

“It’s shrimp over spaghetti. Do you want a taste?” He nodded yes. I put a piece of shrimp along with a little pasta on a fork. He opened his mouth, I placed the food in his mouth. As he chewed he smiled. “Can I have more?”

I couldn’t say no, he had the shrimp dish and I had the hamburger with fries. I did keep my salad.

“Armand, did you enjoy your dinner?” He knew what happened.

“The burger was very good. What did you have?”

“We all had the shrimp and pasta selection.” I smiled, I’ll get even at Carmellas’ home.

Richie was smiling, and that was okay with me.

They came and collected the empty plates. The stewardess laughed as she picked up the plates. I asked for another cup of coffee. “Richie, do you want something to drink?”

“No, thanks, Dad.”

I put my arm around him, pulling him into me. He fell asleep. Looking at Colin, I nodded my head toward Richie, I mouthed the words, he’s asleep.

I tilted my chair back a little and tried to sleep. Richie was out, I had tilted his seat when I tilted mine.

The flight time was 8 hours and 35 minutes.

I relaxed and fell asleep as well.

I felt someone shaking me, I opened my eyes and it was the steward. “I’m sorry to wake you but we are an hour out. By the time you have breakfast, we will be landing.

I sat up and reached over Richie and brought his seat to the upright position. That woke him up. “It’s time to wake up. They are going to serve breakfast soon.”

“Dad, I have to go to the bathroom.”

I got up, taking Richie by the hand, “Where are you going?” “Bathroom.”

Then Tommy and Ronny had to go as well. I laughed as they followed me. Opening the bathroom door, it was one by one.

“Dad, this bathroom is like the one at the club.”

I smiled. “Hurry up, you don’t want to miss breakfast.”

Breakfast was omelets served with fruit and rolls. The boys had milk, Colin and I had coffee. As we were finishing eating, you could see day break through the plane’s window. Now the boys became excited. “Dad, we going to land?”

“Soon, but I’ll tell you so you can look out the window.”

By the time the boys had finished eating, it was full daylight. The steward came by to pick up the breakfast plates. “We will be landing in a few minutes.” He advised everyone to be sure they have their seat belts on and to have the seats in their upright position.

As we approached the airport, the boys became excited and then as the plane began it’s approach, the excitement level increased dramatically. Then the bump, we were down. Now the boys had a smile that looked like it stretched from ear to ear.

We deplaned as we boarded. First class and then we gathered the boys. I had Richie’s hand, Colin had Tommy and Ronny hands. We went through customs and then headed to pick up the luggage. Once we had our suitcases, they were scanned and we left the arrivals section of the airport. We didn’t need to worry about the boys. They had their suitcases in one hand and the other hand was connected to Colin or me.

Exiting the airport, our driver was waiting. Suitcases loaded, I sat up front, Colin sat in the back with the boys. The drive to the village took a little over an hour. The boys were asking questions, what is that, look at that, why are they doing that. I was proud of them, they asked their questions in Italian. The lessons were paying off. Our driver took great pleasure in answering their questions.

When we arrived at the village, Carmella was waiting for us. I would’ve bet she was up early in the morning waiting. When the boys saw her, they became excited. As soon as the car stopped, they were out of the car heading toward her. I heard, “Nonna, we are here.”

Carmella had her arms around all three. Even though they were crushed, it was okay because their Nonna was doing it. When the kids were getting their hugs, Colin and I got the luggage. I paid the driver and made arrangements for him to return in two weeks. I bent over to pick up my suitcase when I was grabbed, Geno was laughing. Then I saw Angela. She looked to have gained some weight, then I realized she was expecting. I thought Geno didn’t waste any time.

Geno took my luggage and headed for the house. I took Angela’s hand, “When?”

Smiling, “The baby is due in the spring.” I thought, the spring, the season of new life. I also knew we would make a trip for the baptism.

Carmella wanted us to have something to eat. I told her we just had breakfast before we landed. Didn’t make any difference. She had eggs and ham for us, and by us, I mean Geno, Angela and Angelo as well as the boys. I watched as she dished out the food. My group got small servings, whereas Angelo, Geno and Angela had a full serving. I watched as they ate, I thought they must have missed dinner.

Richie sat on my lap, Ronnie was on Colin’s lap and Tommy was on Geno’s lap. I didn’t think the boys would be hungry but I was wrong. Richie ate his food and helped himself to mine. He would look at me, smile, then take a full fork of my eggs. I would tickle him, he would smile.

When we finished eating and chatting, Colin took the boys to change into their normal play clothes. While they were gone, I helped Carmella to clear the table.

“Carmella, while I am here I’d like to see Tony’s farm.”

“You couldn’t have time this trip better. The man who bought it had passed away last year. His wife lives there but they don’t have any animals. There is a young man who tends her garden. Father tried to get her to move in town but she won’t leave that farm. I think she doesn’t have the money to move into town.”

“Why doesn’t she sell the place?”

“It’s falling down. No one wants it.”

I didn’t have anymore time to discuss this with her as I was swamped by three boys. The rest of the day we spent on the plaza renewing friendships. The boys met some of the village kids and they were playing with them. I knew after two weeks, the boy’s ability to speak Italian will become a second language for them.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 32
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 9/8/2022 at 12:06 PM, mikedup said:

Interesting flight the boys certainly enjoyed it, their arrival in Italy  almost felt like they were home , plus I think that they will soon own a farm in Italy, plus more congratulations are in order, 

Their lessons in Italian has paid off. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
23 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I learned something in this chapter Business class is better then first class.I wish the airlines would find another term to use "first class" makes it sound like those people are better then you.I've only been on short 2-3 hour connecting flights never a long trip like this I have heard airline food is brutal but omelets  for breakfast? That sounds  good

Like the other readers I'm guessing Armand and Colin will invest in the farm.Colin has the business know how to implement a business plan.They need to find adequate help to run the farm.

First class 9is way over rated. I flew it once from US to England. I thought the service didn't warrant the extra costs. On oversea fights I did fly business class, Les interruptions. Flights within the States, I flew coach. The fights were shorter and I didn't mind the increased activity. I always laughed, it seemed everyone had to use the toilet before landing.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
19 hours ago, chris191070 said:

A great trip begins for the family.

Yes, Armand has a deep love and respect for Carmella and the village. What is better than to introduce his family to his adopted family in Italy

  • Like 5
Link to comment
15 hours ago, VBlew said:

On Vacation for two weeks. Fun times ahead! The boys enjoyed the flight.

They will be seasoned travelers by the time they return.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Great start to the vacation.  The flight must have been very smooth with no turbulence on the trip.  Even now after dozens of flights, most long distance between the US and Asia, turbulence still makes me very nervous and on edge.  I love that the boys are playing with others in the village.  I know from teaching kids with different language backgrounds, the playground is the best classroom for learning a new language.  Especially the words they shouldn't know. 🤪

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I think we established this is set sometime in the 90's (cellphones common but internet not widely used, microfiche still in use), but flying is so different today.  Unfortunately not for the better.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..