Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 682 Words
  • 3,220 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 2. Chapter 2

It wasn’t until Armand started high school that his art teacher noted his art proficiency. He could devote a full hour to art three times a week for the first time. However, it was not as Armand thought. The three hours were broken into various crafts, like sculpture, design, and drawing. Armand didn’t like the sculpture and design classes, but GG told him to make the best of each. And he did, in sculpture, he used that class to create objects he could paint. In design, he used that time to design gardens and forests, and in drawing, he was at home.

In his sophomore year, he was able to drop design and concentrate on drawing, but he still had sculpture. In this class, he created bookends from a solid square piece of clay. He cut the clay diagonally, forming two sections, two triangles with a large flat surface. After firing the two pieces, he began to paint the large flat side. He painted an image of his mother on one piece, and on the other, he painted an image of his father.

The following year, Armand only had drawing for all three classes. In this class, Armand came into his own. Some of his paintings were placed in prominent places in the school and classroom. The art teacher, Miss Jessica McNiel, recognized Armands talent. Her mother owned and operated the art galley in their small town. On occasion, she would take one of Armand’s paintings home to show her mother.

“Jessica, these are well done. I think you have a budding artist in your class. I probably could sell these in the Galley. It would help if you asked him to sign his work, and they needed to be framed. I’ll show them and put them up for bid.”

In the next art class, Miss McNeil spoke to Armand about signing his work and framing them. She didn’t tell him what her mother said.

That evening at dinner, he told his parents what his art teacher had said. “I don’t know about signing my paintings, and do I sign my full name or just initials?”

“Why don’t you check out what other artists have done? You could do that at the library.”

That evening he discussed what his teacher said with GG. Her advice, be unique.

He was doodling in class with various ways of signing his name. Then he noticed when he was printing his name that if he dropped the E from his last name, he could spell arrow, Armand Robert Rowe. He smiled, and he knew how he would sign his paintings. But it still left framing.

That weekend he went back to the art store and checked out frames. Some were a possibility, but the sizes or finishing didn’t appeal to Armand. The answer came from Miss McNiel, “Armand, why don’t you go and speak to Mr. Larkin. He teaches shop to those students who want to work with their hands, and I think he could help you.”

The following day before classes began, Armand went to see Mr. Larkin. Armand explained what he wanted to do. Miss McNeil had already prepped Mr. Larkin, so he was expecting a visit from Armand. “Armand, have you ever made a picture frame before?”

“No, sir, I looked at some frames in the art supply store in town, but I didn’t find any that I liked. Miss McNeil suggested I make my own.”

“Okay, but before you start to make the frames, you need to make a drawing of what you want to make. Are you planning on finishing it by painting it or doing some wood carving? If you are, then we definitely need drawings. Let’s start with the drawings, and then I’ll help you, or one of the senior boys can help you.”

Saying that Mr. Larkin and Armand agreed upon a time to meet.

Armand began to measure his paintings in anticipation of making his own frames. He noticed that they were mostly the same size, and he knew that this would simplify making frames.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 51
  • Love 30
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I could never get a hold on wood working at school. Nothing I made ever got passed looking like a lump... As for planning, nope they called in "Technical Drawing" at school then and I couldn't even get the lines straight... Now painting I did enjoy but never really got into it because I couldn't take my eyes off the very long piece of hair that the teacher draped from one side of his head to the other to cover his massive bald head.... The funny thing was it never stayed in place and you just knew as he was talking to you that it would drop and end up sliding down your face as he bent over to look at your pieces of work... Our boy seems to have it more together than I ever did.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..