Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 869 Words
  • 3,015 Views
  • 28 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 13. Chapter 13

One week later, as they entered the Cafe, they saw the painting in a glass case with a visible alarm. Colin laughed, patting Pete on the back. From that day on, lunch was provided by Pete. His Cafe was featured in the local newspaper, which increased customers. Pete now had to increase his staff, bussers, dishwasher, assistant cooks, and an additional waiter.

We ate free at Pete’s Cafe for the rest of the semester, but we always left a tip that covered what we ate.

Friday nights we spent at the club.

You would think that the girls learned their lesson about eating from Colin and Armand’s plates. “Colin, looks busy tonight.”

“Yes, probably the last bash before finals. Here come the moochers’”

“Let’s leave now. I don’t want to be bothered with them.”

Walking into the hall, getting our jackets, “Colin, where do those steps lead?”

“There are two floors above. They were apartments, and when I bought the building, the people left.”

“Show them to me.”

Walking up the stairs, I was wondering what those apartments looked like. Maybe we could live here. Entering the first apartment, we walked into the kitchen, which led to a living room. A door on the far wall led to two small bedrooms and a bathroom located at the end of the hall. “Does the apartment on the third floor have the same layout?”

“Yes”

“Colin, why don’t we renovate the apartment on the third floor for us? We can fix that apartment for conference room and your office.”

“I have no problem making us an apartment here, but why would we need a conference room?”

“Colin, we need to have a committee to help with the club. Many of the guys didn’t like the way the girls helped themselves. You should have known that. Think about that.”

“You wouldn’t mind living here?”

“No, we need a place of our own.” That got me a kiss.

“Let’s go and have dinner.”

“Not at the Club?”

“No, I know an Italian restaurant that has authentic Italian food.”

We walked into Raffello’s Bistro, and again Colin knew the staff. This was a small family restaurant. “This is my favorite Italian restaurant. The owner’s wife is the chef, and his children are waiters. His youngest son wants to work at the club on weekends, and his dad told him no, he needs him here.”

Looking around the restaurant. “Colin, for an Italian restaurant, the walls are bare. Most Italian restaurants I have seen have photos on the wall showing places people could go and see if they visited Italy. These walls are empty.”

“I know what you are thinking. Just like the Cafe at school, you want to paint something for these walls.”

“When I was in Italy, I went to a village in the south of Italy. There was a plaza with a church at one end and a cafe at the other end, and I could paint that plaza on his wall.”

I watched as he took the back of the menu and sketched his plaza. “You know you could paint that on that one blank wall at the club.” He looked at me and smiled.

The waiter came, and we gave him our order. I ordered the chicken parm, and Armand ordered puttanesca. The waiter looked at him, he smiled, and left for the kitchen.

Within 5 minutes, the owner came out and spoke to his son, who had taken our order. His son pointed to us, and he came over to our table. “Who ordered the puttanesca?”

“I did.”

“Have you eaten this before? You know it’s made with anchovies?”

“Yes, I have had this dish several times. The best I had was in a small village south of Rome. There was a cafe at the end of the plaza that served this on Fridays.”

“What did this village look like?”

I watched as Armand turned the menu over. He had drawn the plaza with the church and Cafe on the back of the menu. The owner looked at the drawing, and I saw tears in his eyes. He took the menu and went to the kitchen. I could hear them talking, but they were talking in Italian.

“Colin, that man is from that village, as is his wife. They are laughing and crying. I don’t understand?”

“Your drawing must have brought back memories.”

“I hope they were good memories. When we go to Europe next year, we will go to that village.”

Our waiter brought out our orders. The starter was a fresh salad followed by our main course. Armand ordered a bottle of wine. “Colin, if I don’t miss my bet, the wine will be homemade.”

“He can’t sell homemade wine.”

“I don’t think he will sell it. It will be the wine the family drinks, you’ll see.”

The waiter brought over two glasses of wine, “My father said this is on the house.”

I had tasted a similar wine in that village, “Colin, they served a similar wine when I was in that village. This doesn’t have the exact same taste but comes very close.”

“This is homemade?”

“Yes, that is why it is complementary.”

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 40
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



3 hours ago, CLJobe said:

No, I didn't. I wonder if anyone else had that issue.

No @CLJobe, followed the POV pretty well, wasn't a distraction from the story that I could tell. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Never understood about anchovies before... I love them, especially on a pizza. Love the idea about the apartments and the conference rooms. You just know that the restaurant owner is going to fall in love with our boys.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I know...it is a funny remark for an author...but I'm running out of words and superlatives as far as this story is concerned. But the kids are thinking ahead..."their own place". Up to chapter 14....🙂

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..