Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 491 Words
  • 2,124 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 31. Chapter 31

If you haven't read Chapter 30, go back

Walking with Colin is something else. He always finds a way to bump our shoulders. He would bump my shoulder with his, then smile when I look at him. I didn’t mind, the smile and loving eyes was worth it.

He became excited as we approached the Fountain. Standing in front of the Fountain, Colin turned and tossed his three coins over his shoulders.

“Did you make a wish?”

“Yes”

“What was your wish?”

“If I tell you it might not come true.”

“That is an old wives tale.”

“What do they do with the coins?”

“They are gathered each night and given to a charity that provides food for the poor.”

“What prevents someone from taking the coins?”

“Laws. It is illegal to stand in the fountain and to remove the coins.”

“How old is this Fountain?”

“That depends on which fountain. The original fountain was constructed in 19 BC. The Aqua Virgo Aqueduct ended here. People would come here to get their water. You notice the Fountain is located at the intersection of three roads, tre vie, that is how it got it’s name. At one time, there were more than 1300 fountains in Rome.”

“It’s a shame we don’t have fountains like this back at home.”

I was going to say maybe we could have one built, but I stopped because I knew he will ask for me to paint this fountain on the wall of the club.

“This isn’t the original fountain, in 1730 Pope Clemens XII, had a contest to design a new fountain. The winner was Alessandro Galilei, but the people revolted, they wanted Salvi. Galilei was a Florentine whereas Salvi was a native Roman. Salvi never saw the end. The Fountain was finished 11 years after his death.”

“So discrimination existed that long ago. Who was the better architect?”

“I don’t know but since Galilei was the winner I would assume he was. He also was of the same family as Galileo.

“Do people still come here for water?”

“I don’t think so. This water is recycled, so it would need to be chlorinated to be drinkable.”

“Has anyone been punished for stealing the money?”

“Yes, the most famous was a man who was called d’Artagnan, he stole for 30 years before being caught

“How big do you think this fountain is?”

“It’s suppose to be 85 feet tall and 65 feet wide and holds more than 2.8 cubic feet of water.”

“How much money do you think they collect in a day? It looks like quite a bit.”

“I’d guess approximately 3000 dollars per day.”

“There were several movies featuring this fountain.”

“Which do you think was the most popular?”

“The Fountain was closed for one day when Marcello Mastroianni died. He directed and produced the movie, La Dolce Vita.”

“Did he produce Three Coins in the Fountain?”

“No, that was an American production.”

“What’s next?”

“Do you feel like climbing?”

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 21
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..