Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,810 Words
  • 939 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 207. Chapter 207

The boys were getting anxious. Colin took Ronnie and the coolers to the boat in a Van, The boys who weren’t waiting for their friends went in the van with Colin. Seating was limited so they drew straws. I don’t think Colin was gone 30 minutes when the boys and their dads showed up. Three cars, with a total of 12 boys. As I expected not all of the boys had fishing rods. Our boys made sure they had one from the Italian pool. Pepe loaded the bus, I took my van which had room for the three fathers but one of the fathers wanted to drive so he followed me.

Arriving at the quay where the boat was waiting. I laughed, the kids were hanging over the side. We needed to wait for Charles and his boys. Waiting gave Colin time to introduce the fathers to the Captain and first mate. The boys were helping their friends find a seat. Ronnie and Colin went and brought up a cooler of bait. For the boys, it is one day of fishing but for Colin, one trip required two days of his time. Preparing the boat, stocking bait, stocking cans of soda and water as well as his usual lunch.

With Charles and his four boys arriving, the Captain blew the horn. It was a mad race to get a seat at the rail. Ronnie and Pepe helped the boys get seated and belted in. A couple of the boy's friends didn’t want to be belted in. I couldn’t hear what Ronnie told them but they agreed. One of the dads asked Colin about the chairs and belts. I knew what Colin told them but I also saw the disbelief on his face.

As usual, the boys fished as the Captain moved the boat into our fishing waters. The fish the boys caught became bait. The dads looked as if to say what was wrong with that fish.

Forty-five minutes later we were in our fishing waters. Now our boys began to fish. Chef Boy caught the first fish, Ronnie was on him in a second and soon they all began to catch fish. The excitement among the boys seemed to wake them up, and the noise level rose. Now I had my job. Baiting traps, Colin brought one more trap up from the Captain’s quarters. I now had three traps for lobster and two traps for shrimp with one spare trap. I was on the bow of the ship while the men were with the boys. Colin would bring the fish to me, their heads and internals were my bait.

I waited an hour before I pulled the first trap. I had two lobsters, Placing a rubber band on their claws they went into my lobster cooler. Baited, I dropped the trap back into the water. I decided to wait another 15 minutes after I dropped the lobster traps before pulling my shrimp traps. The first trap was about half full but the second trap was loaded. Into the shrimp cooler. Baited the traps were dropped again. Now I waited and watched the boys. On occasion, I filled my trap bait buckets.

Colin stopped and wanted to see my coolers, he was surprised at the shrimp cooler. He leaned over and kissed me, one of the boy's fathers saw him. Now he wanted to go back. I told him he could swim but we had at least 6 more hours of fishing to do. He went and told the other two dads. I could feel their stares and I felt bad for my children, I’m sure they lost their friends.

I pulled my traps just before lunch. Again I had two more lobsters and the shrimp traps were full. Traps bait, back in the water, I waited to see what was next with these men. Colin brought up his hotdog cart followed by Ronnie with drinks. Wet wipes for the kids, Charles followed with a garbage bag for the wipes. Colin handed out the hot dogs, Again Charles followed with catsup and mustard. Ronnie handed them a soda or water, and they took the soda, after all, they were kids. One of the fathers asked for beer. Colin told them there were no alcoholic drinks on board since there were children.

One of the fathers said he gave his son a small glass of beer. In French, I told Colin no more fathers. Then I heard him asking Ronnie what I said and what languages I had spoken. I listened, “He spoke French. All of us speak three foreign languages. French, Spanish, and Italian. In two weeks we will have our Italian cousins visiting us for two months.”

I watched the guy go and whispered what Ronnie told him. He made a mistake and told Charles not only about the visitors and languages but also that Colin and I were those kinds, making a limp wrist. Charles grabbed him by the front of his shirt., “Shut your mouth. If you did one-tenth of what they do you would be a saint. These kids are either adopted or are living in a home these men built. You aren’t even good enough to clean their shoes.”

Charles walked away, heading for the prow. I knew he was upset. Charles was one of the angels that visited the Angel’s home. The rest of the trip the men didn’t say anything.

At 5 we headed back to port. I told Pepe to take the van and I’ll drive the bus home. “Pepe, wait. Drop the men and the boys’ friends at home and then drive the van to the Home. We will meet you there.”

I had to stop at the club to drop off the lobster and shrimp. Pulling Into the back alley with the bus was a lot more difficult than I thought. I didn’t even think about turning around. I sent one of the boys in to tell James I was here. What did he do when he came out? He laughed so hard, that Peter and Billy came out. Now I had all three of them laughing. They did help me turn the bus around. They had no choice, they either helped or they wouldn’t get any lobster and shrimp.

James took all of the lobsters and one cooler of shrimp. I knew he was offering the Sunday diners the paella.

“Do you want any fish?”

He looked and was going to walk away when Billy picked out a large codfish. Smiling, “I want a small piece tomorrow.” That got the attention of Peter and James. Now two more cod fish left the cooler.

I didn’t care, running the boat cost money. The money from the club helped with those costs.

We headed home, dropping off the fishing rods, we headed to the Home.

I walked into the kitchen with one of the coolers of fish. “What is the hot water for?”

Then I heard, “Not this one.” As the coolers were brought in, they were opened and checked until they found the shrimp cooler. That was what the hot water was for, cooking the shrimp. I went and pulled the bus into the garage.

Entering the Home from the front door, I looked up at my angel. Something was missing and I knew what it was. I needed to find Carl.

After knocking I walked into Tommy’s office. Pepe was telling him about the fishing trip. Tommy looked at me, “So it wasn’t as much fun.”

“You remember when Pop and I didn’t go to those PTA meetings, well I don’t think those friends of the boys will be going fishing with us anymore.”

“What will those boys say to their classmates?”

“I don’t know.”

“Those boys enjoyed the trip. That was all they were talking about going to your house.”

“Their dads won’t allow them to go again.”

“The angel over the front door needs a little touching up. I’ll have Carl do it.”

“Between Uncle Charles and Charles, they handled it on the boat.”

“Who is Charles?”

“He’s a young man Carl and I met in Paris. He will live with us and work in the kitchen at the club. Come for dinner tomorrow at the club and meet him.”

“Dad, one of the boys said you were looking for me.”

“Yes, the angel over the front door needs refreshing. I have my paints and brushes in my studio on the fourth floor.”

We watched as he left to check the angel. Walking back in, he had a puzzled look. I did my best bird imitation, then he knew.

Before we would leave for home tonight, there would be a bluebird on that door. And yes, I heard the creaking rocker.

Dinner was baked fish with a garden salad and roasted potatoes. The head cook told everyone that tonight’s dinner was provided by our fishing men and Ivan. Everyone clapped and you could tell who the fishermen were, their smiles and claps on their backs told it all.

As usual, Colin was surrounded by his golf buddies and I had my girls and young boys. The cooks keep an eye on me, and when my plate begins to get empty they bring another. With five or six people eating off my plate, it needed refilled a couple of times. Charles and his wife were seated at the head table. I don’t know if Charles enjoyed his meal but his wife did.

Dinner was over it was serious time. Colin jingled his pocket, it was allowance time. The older children helped to clean the tables, Colin dropped the money bag on the table in front of me. I had the pleasure of giving the children their allowance. I never thought about Colin not doing it, it just seemed we gravitated to me doing it.

Colin sat next to me, he would pick up the child, and place him or her on my lap. Then I would ask them what they did to help Uncle Tommy or Uncle Pepe. I also included the cooking and cleaning staff. I never made it a point of being unhappy about what they did. After they would tell me, I would drop a quarter into their bank. Since I was gone and missed a few weeks, this week they got four quarters.

Then they would take their bank back to their room and return for dessert. Charles gave an envelope to the older boys who worked for him. Ivan had some coins for the boys who helped him on the farm and Uncle Charles always had a movie or a cartoon for them.

Saturday was special and when I was away, that was what I missed the most. I think Saturday at the Home is the highlight of my week.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 32
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The fishing trip was a success for all, but a few bigoted idiots got put down fast.  Colin and Armand may not be saints yet, but the are wonderful role models.  I hope the kids' friends will be included in future fishing trips, especially those with bigoted fathers.  Knowing about Colin and Armand will make it much more likely the friends won't become like their bigoted fathers.  I wonder how many kids at the home will see Carl's bluebird fly.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 8/25/2023 at 12:31 AM, mikedup said:

Another awesome chapter, some more homophobic father's  I pity their children they have to live with their fathers attitude, hopefully their children will grow up better informed, it is good that the family is all together, GG is glad 

You can't ignore those ignorant people, there will always be people who are insecure and look for a reason to join a crusade

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 8/25/2023 at 3:12 AM, raven1 said:

The fishing trip was a success for all, but a few bigoted idiots got put down fast.  Colin and Armand may not be saints yet, but the are wonderful role models.  I hope the kids' friends will be included in future fishing trips, especially those with bigoted fathers.  Knowing about Colin and Armand will make it much more likely the friends won't become like their bigoted fathers.  I wonder how many kids at the home will see Carl's bluebird fly.  

That is a good question, I'd bet they all would. Remember those trees in front of the main door. i would expect a few bird nests in them. GG will see that the bird painted by Carl has company.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..