Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,017 Words
  • 1,512 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 70. Chapter 70

In the morning after breakfast was over, we drove to Tommy’s school. “Tommy, I may not be at the gallery when you get out of school. Grandmother will be there and she will have a snack for you. As soon as I am finish with the security people, I’ll come for you.”

A hug and he was heading into the school building. I waited until he waved goodbye and enter the school.

Driving to the gallery I thought how lucky Colin and I were with having Tommy as our son. He brings a joy to our lives that I hoped was the same joy we brought to our parents.

I went to the Professors’ office at Yale. He was on his way to a lecture and invited me to go along. I sat in the rear of the class, I had heard this lecture before and I didn’t want to cause a problem. A few of the students knew me. They smiled and waved as they took their seats.

I listened to the lecture. I was tempted to comment, as I had when I heard this lecture the first time. “Armand, do you want to make a comment?” He knew what I would say. When I heard this lecture the first time, I set off a spirited comments that weren’t favorably received.

“No sir, I think you know my reaction to this lecture.”

He laughed and proceeded to tell the class what my reaction was when he gave the same lecture when I was a student.

I was glad he did that as he tempered my comments. I probably would have started the same fight I did the first time I commented on this lecture.

On the way back to his office, “Why did you want to start a reaction like we had when I first heard that lecture?”

“I wanted to see if the response would have changed. They know you, they know about the gallery and have seen your paintings. I would bet that some of my students have come to understand your style of painting. I have two students that originally defended Picasso’s Cubism and have changed their minds after seeing your paintings in the gallery.”

I thought to myself, they have seen the posted prices. There were cubist paintings posted in the gallery of which a few have sold.

“I wanted to discuss your doctor friend’s offer to paint a mural in his office. I decided I’m not going to do it. But, I wonder if you have students that could do it. It would give them experience and if necessary, I would give them ideas. My fees for doing it would be more than he probably could afford.”

“I didn’t think you would do it. But having students do it, is a great idea. It’ll give them experience and they can earn some money. Let me discuss this with them, I think I have two and possibly a third one that could do this.”

“Tell them to come and see me if they have questions. I’m usually at the gallery in the morning. They can leave a note with Mary if I’m not there and I’ll contact them.”

We chatted a little, I left to meet the security guy.

Arriving back at the gallery, I was sitting in the office drinking coffee when the door bell rang. Mary went to see who came in.

Coming back to the office, “A Mr. DuBois is here to see you.” That was the security guy.

Mary and I went to meet Mr. DuBois. I introduced myself, he obvious knew why I had contacted his firm.

“You have no security measures?”

“None, but the value of the paintings and sculpture warrant thief protection. This was a store before we converted it to a gallery. Nothing has changed on the outside of the building since we bought it.”

“Is this the only window for the building?”

“Yes, and the door has a lock. There is a back door, it has a lock as well.”

We walked with him as he walked around the gallery. He checked out the back door asking the purpose of the back door. Mom told him that is were we ship paintings and the door is a personal safety exit in case of a fire. I told him we have recently installed a CO2 fire suppressant system.

“Off the top of my head, I would suggest that you alarm the back door. Make sure that alarm is tied into the police. In the front, I’ll submit a system for the larger glass window. Since you have a glass front door, that door will have to be changed. Off the cuff, a double door would be the simplest. I’ll review some other alternatives for a door and put what I find in my report. This large glass window could be a major problem. Thieves don’t care about breakage. Again, off hand, you’ll need a back up and an alarm system. Give me a few days, I’ll have a proposal for you.”

Mom and I discussed Mr. DuBois’s comments. I wanted to discuss his comments with Colin as well.

Mom wanted to know what I was going to do about the mural. I told her about my discussion with the Professor. She thought that was a good idea. Sitting there drinking coffee, we sort of lost time. That was until a young boy rushed into the office and jumped on my lap.

“Hungry?” Stupid question, what young boy isn’t hungry.

“Mom, you want anything?”

“A salad would be nice.”

“Let’s go Tommy. Grandmother is hungry.”

“As if you aren’t.”

We walked to our usual places, today it was hotdogs with French fries and a salad for Grandmother. Walking back, Tommy saw one of the boys from the orphanage. We had to stop to chat which led me back to get another hotdog and French fries. I had a feeling this would occur often.

Arriving back at the gallery, Tommy gave Grandmother her lunch, he had a soda and Mom and I had coffee.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 29
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 8/21/2022 at 9:02 AM, mikedup said:

So he has some changes to make at the gallery, I wonder if it will change the how it looks. I certainly hope not, the professor has seen his point of view about the doctors rooms, Tommie is well and truly now part of the family 

The changes will not change the appearance. When the gallery is closed, it will looked different but when it is open, it will look the same

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 8/21/2022 at 9:19 AM, Tonyr said:

Morning Calvin! Happy you’re back to ‘daily’.   

How old is Thomas ? 

Cheers.

This will be a short daily back. Thomas is 10

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 8/21/2022 at 9:37 AM, dutch woman said:

Maybe Armand should take Tommy with him when he goes to the doctor’s office viewing the progress of the mural. He can give tips about what children like to see on the mural.

Armand has declined the offer of doing the mural. The professor will have 2-3 students doing it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 8/21/2022 at 10:18 AM, weinerdog said:

Armand can be quite the politician when he needs to be when he didn't engage the professor.

It's hard to believe they didn't do these security measures at the same time they put fire systems in

I think he just didn't realize the possibilities.  but once he has understood, he wastes no time.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 8/21/2022 at 2:06 PM, Anton_Cloche said:

Hello Calvin. Another great chapter, filling in more information and opening up new possible topics to explore.

My 'guesstimate' (in respect of Tonyr's question) is that Tommy is 7-ish. Nice to see Tommy wanting to make sure his former orphanage 'buddy' gets more to eat. This however raises the question: are these orphans getting proper meals, or was this just a treat?

As for Gallery security, surprised the 'expert' didn't suggest Rolling Steel Shutters for all the doors and plate glass display window. Also known as 'Hurricane Shutters, when properly mounted, they sit about 1 inch away from the window so that the glass is seldom contacted. 

A friend of mine with an art gallery, preferred to have artwork visible when the gallery was closed. That changed after two break-ins and theft. But he went 2 steps further. He put a custom sheet of 1/2" Plexiglas (think hockey glass) 1/2-inch in front of plate glass before installing steel shutters. He then painted a mural on the steel shutter showcasing his art.

 

You are to late. He has given the contract to the gentlemen recommended by the police.

I am familiar with hurricanes shutters, I had them when I lived in Florida and Amsterdam

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 8/21/2022 at 3:59 PM, chris191070 said:

Security for the gallery is needed, before they get robbed

yes, but that could be a good premise for a new story

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 8/21/2022 at 5:10 PM, drsawzall said:

If the roller shutter doors mentioned by @Anton_Cloche, the following may be an option....

 

Fantastic idea.  thanks for the laugh. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Happy about the decision to get the security in place quickly.  I bet the insurance cost will be very pricey.  I also hope that plans will be made soon for Thomas' friends to visit.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..