Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,782 Words
  • 836 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 215. Chapter 215

Arriving home, he took his sack of peanuts to his room. I carried the eggs and the cornmeal to the kitchen. When I came back to move the van, I saw Pierre with his peanuts heading toward the kitchen. At first, I didn’t understand why he took his sack to his room and then brought it back out to the kitchen. Then it dawned on me, the sack he brought back he would share but the peanuts in his room were for him.

As the boys arrived from school, they sniffed the air, I heard ‘Peanuts’. When they saw Pierre, they descended on him. He was laughing while pointing toward the kitchen. Soon the boys came back, no peanuts. I knew they were in the kitchen.

Now Pierre was standing next to me. “What’s the problem?”

“Pierre said the peanuts are in the kitchen. We couldn’t find them.”

“I know they are in the kitchen. I saw him take the sack to the kitchen. Go and look again.”

We stood there and then we heard, “Here they are. He hid them.”

The boys came out with their hands full of peanuts. “You hid them.”

I didn’t like their tone. “He made a game out of them. If he didn’t want to share them you wouldn’t have found them. I think you owe him an apology. He’s your brother.”

Gerry looked at me, I saw his tears. “Dad, are you mad at us?”

“Mad, no. I am disappointed you didn’t trust Pierre.”

“Pierre, I’m sorry I didn’t believe you.” I was glad he said that in French. Then all of the boys apologize. Pierre just smiled.

Later that night I told Colin. “Maybe I should talk to them before we go fishing.”

“I’m going to call Henry. There must be some legal way to keep Pierre until we adopt him.”

“How can we adopt him? He has parents.”

“I think his parents are dead or missing. I would bet he was being shuffled around among families.”

I knew who would tell me the truth.

Lying in bed thinking about the day with Pierre. The boy is happy here. But something was missing. Thinking about what it would be like to be shuffled from one relative to another, I began to feel Pierre’s feeling of being sided, here he was building a trust between us. I needed him to build that trust between the boys but it won’t happen until he feels some permanency.

With these thoughts, I fell asleep.

Morning came and a young man brought me coffee. “Thanks, Gerry.”

“Dad, I feel bad about yesterday.”

“You apologized, he accepted it.”

“Yes, but it wasn’t right. We should have trusted him and we didn’t.”

“Maybe you can spend some time with him when you come home from school. I think he would like that.”

Carefully I hugged him, I didn’t want to spill my coffee. Remembering what was being made for breakfast, I took a quick shower, dressed, and hurried to the kitchen.

Walking Into the kitchen, a little boy saw me and headed right for me. Angela was teaching Elsie how to make polenta.

“Where’s Ivan?”

“He dropped us off and went to make a delivery to the Home.”

Walking into the dining room, the boys were sitting at the table with a glass of Orange juice. I sat down, after refiling my coffee cup. Colin was talking to the boys about fishing.

“Colin, do you know how many seats you have on the boat?”

He started to laugh, “I never counted them. Charles and I installed what I had and if there was more space I went and bought more chairs. I did that until I couldn’t install any more unless I installed them in the bow. Charles said to leave some space for the future. I think he was tired of installing seats. I should count them before Saturday.”

“You should count them before Friday. The boys will want to ask friends.”

Then the food arrived. I had two pieces of polenta on my plate. “You have to tell which one I made and which one Elsie made.”

Now all of the kids watched, that was until plates of polenta with fried eggs were placed in front of them. I tasted each one with an egg. I thought I knew which was Angela’s and I was wrong. The smile on Elsie’s face gave it away. I had guessed wrong.

Somehow the word got out. Ivan showed up with Pepe, then Peter showed up too early to take the kids to school, next Richie and Ronnie showed up. Looking at Angela, “Did you make enough?”

Smiling, “Yes, the leftover is in the fridge. When it is cold, slice it and fry it in butter.”

“Where are Richie and Donnie going?”

Colin whispered, “They said there were others who couldn’t make it this morning.”

I knew he meant Julie, Anne Marie, and Maria. I knew the polenta but the eggs would get cold. “Those eggs will be cold when they get them home.”

“They just took the polenta.”

When Peter was finished eating, he waited for the boys whom he took to school. “Angela, any chance of learning how to cook that corn meal dish.”

“Yes, come tomorrow an hour earlier and I’ll show you.” I saw someone else’s ear twitch, he heard that.

Pepe stayed too long, the phone rang and he knew who it was. “Angela, I need to take some polenta back with me.”

Angela smiled and gave him a package. “There are two soft-boiled eggs there. Have him put them on the polenta. I’ll be over later to show the cooks how to make polenta.”

I answered the phone. “Hello” “Dad is Pepe still there?” “Let me check.”

I waited a few minutes, “No he must have left. Wait a moment.” “Which van did he take?” “Tommy, he left. I think he must have taken my van.” “No, I don’t need it this morning but if he has time this afternoon, tell him to bring it back.” “Yes, it was very good. Angela taught Elsie how to make it.” “She said Nonna taught them.” Okay, I’ll drop over this afternoon.” Hanging up.

“What was that all about?”

“Pepe was supposed to bring breakfast back for Tommy.”

The boys were off to school which left Pierre and me alone. “Pierre, where did you live before you lived with Christian?”

“I lived with my mother’s sister.”

“Where were you supposed to go after staying with Christian?”

“I think Uncle Henri. Grandfather said I should stay with him and Christian. I heard them arguing, Christian said he would be too busy. Grandfather said he had another plan but I never heard anything more.”

“You had some papers that Christian gave you, may I see them.”

Handing me the papers, “Dad, is something wrong?”

“No, something may be right.”

I called Colin and asked for Richie to stop by the house before going home.

The papers Pierre had were guardianship papers appointing Arnaud as his guardian. With Arnaud’s death, Pierre had no guardian and he was too young to be on his own. I would bet that the argument that Arnaud had with Christian concerned Pierre’s guardianship.

“Pierre, who told you that you would move to your Uncle Henri’s home?”

“Christian, that was why he had my passport.”

I just hugged him and smiled.

Some touches were needed on the frame of the angel painting for Jean. I had a guest who watched me. It didn’t take long, as I was finishing, I heard my name being called. Pierre took off to see who it was. Pepe returned my van.

“Dad, I can’t stay. I was told I had to be back in 30 minutes or I sleep with the chickens.”

Pierre went to his room, and I knew why. He gave Pepe three peanuts.

Laughing, I drove Pepe to the Home. I wanted to check out the new apartment and Pierre wanted to be with the boys.

Pepe opened the gate and took off running to the kitchen door. Pierre locked the gate.

With my hand on his shoulder, we walked to the kitchen door. As we walked into the kitchen, Pepe was leaving with a cup of coffee and a few cookies. I started to laugh, “Looks like someone is in trouble.”

Pierre went down to the game room and I went to check the progress of the new apartment.

Charley and two boys were painting the bedroom. A new door was installed leading from the bedroom into the sunroom. The old door was removed and that space now became a part of the bedroom and sunroom.

“What do you think?”

“This looks great. Someone is going to be very happy.”

“We need the kitchen set up. Dad said he could get the same setup they have in a hotel. I thought we could put it in the corner after we close off the bottom half.”

“When did your dad say he would have the kitchen?”

“He said he would have it as soon as I needed it. We should have that area blocked off and painted by Friday. You’ll need to keep her away from here until it is finished.”

I thought that wouldn’t be easy.

I stopped to see Tommy, walking into the office, Pepe was sitting watching Tommy eating a cookie. Looking at Pepe, “Are you in trouble?” “Yes”

Then I started to laugh and soon Tommy and Pepe were laughing.

“What did you think about the apartment so far?”

“Charley and the boys are doing a great job. She’s going to be very happy. Now we need to find a way to keep her away from there.”

“Dad, do you remember those two ladies and that man who came from New York?” I nodded yes. “This arrived in the mail today. The man was so impressed that he wanted me to go and talk about this place and how we are financing this operation.”

“Great, take Pat with you.”

Smiling, “You are clever Dad.”

“Who will be in charge here while you are gone?” I knew but I wanted him to hear.

“Pepe will be in charge with Lois. They can handle it for a few days. You and Pop will be available and if Lois needs help with the girls there is Grandmother and Gram who could help in an emergency.”

“When are you planning on leaving?”

“We have to be there on Tuesday. So we will leave on Monday, stay over, and meet on Tuesday morning. What do you think? I’ll have a photographer to take pictures?”

“I think that would be a great idea.”

I smiled as I left the office. That should give Charley enough time. I’ll speak with Charles and Charley on the boat on Saturday,

I went and got Pierre, we needed more eggs and cornmeal.

Stopping at Ivan’s we had to check out the ducks. Had to, according to Lil Ivan. And Pierre wanted to check out the peanut supply.

“Dad, I want to show you that strip of land I bought for potatoes.” I noticed he said that pretty loud.

The land was next to the peanut field and as Ivan said it was 2 acres wide and 10 acres long. “How many bushels of potatoes can you get off that land.”

“With fertilized soil, you can get 15 to 22,000 pounds per acre, Since I’ll only use natural fertilizers I’d be happy if I get half that per acre. That will be more than James can use. Whatever is left over, I’ll give to the Home/“

Walking past the peanut roaster, “The ladies at the Home wanted to know if you had any more peanuts,”

“With some help, I could bag a few for those ladies.” He said that looking at Pierre.

I knew Pierre would help. I stood there watching for a little while. It looked like they had a system.

“Ivan, I’m going to the outlet to order my eggs and cornmeal. I’ll be right back. The last thing I heard as I left was, No Ducks .

It took me 30 minutes and I was back. This time I got their phone number.

Arriving back at Ivan’s I stopped at the house. There was a young man I wanted to see.

“Where you at the outlet?”

“Yes, I needed more eggs and cornmeal.” I got all of that said before I was tackled by Lil Ivan.

“I could use some corn meal but a sack is too much.”

“Do you have a flour container?”

She went and brought an empty potato chip tin.

“That will do. Tell Ivan too many potato chips will make him fat.”

Laughing, “The boys from the Home eat most of these.”

Lil Ivan and I went to check on the ducks. I noticed Ivan moved them in with the chickens. We watched for a few minutes and then headed to the peanuts.

I watched about 15 minutes before we were noticed. They had two sacks full and working on the third sack. Pierre handed me a warm peanut. I wasn’t sure if Lil Ivan could handle it, so I put it in my pocket.

Lil Ivan and I watched as they filled a third bag. Ivan loaded the three bags on his wagon. There were a few peanuts in the chute, he bagged them and gave them to Pierre for helping him.

“Dad, check this fruit tree.”

Leaving the cart. we walked behind the roaster and there was the tree. “This is a pear tree I found on the back end of the property. It produces a small pear that looks and tastes like those red pears you buy in the grocery store only smaller. Elsie said they are called Seckel pears. I never heard of them she said her grandfather had them. She remembers going there to visit once a year.”

“I don’t know. if that is what she said I’d believe her. When do they produce fruit?”

“I’m not sure. I’ll ask that woman who comes to the home to check on the plants and trees in the hot house. She might know.”

“James will incorporate them into some kind of dessert. Have you told him about your potato farm?”

“Not yet but I will before I plant any.”

I was happy for Ivan. He’s found his niche.

“Ivan, I need to go to the outlet store for my eggs and cornmeal. I’ll stop on my way back for the peanuts for the home.”

I started to leave with Lil Ivan. I hadn’t gone far when Ivan came and took Lil Ivan. “No more ducks.”

I laughed as I went to the van. The trip to the outlet and back was quick. They had everything ready and it took only a few minutes to load the van.

Returning to Ivan’s, I met Elsie with her empty potato chip can. Besides the three full sacks, I had one about a quarter full. I gave that sack to her. She kissed me on the cheek, Ivan saw.

Arriving with the peanuts, “What was that all about?”

“I gave her some corn meal and two more ducks.”

He rushed into the house, Pierre and I loaded the van and left. Looking back through my rearview mirror, I saw Ivan coming out of the house.

“Dad, why didn’t you wait for Ivan?”

“He thought I had bought more ducks. I gave Elsie a small bag of cornmeal. I think he was going to check the bag.”

Pulling into the Home, Pierre opened the gate and then locked it after I passed through. I set the three peanut sacks on the ground. “Pierre, what is this small bag for?”

“Ivan said that is my pay for helping.”

I had heard about people claiming they work for peanuts. I picked up two sacks, and Pierre had the third sack. Walking into the kitchen with the two sacks, the cook opens the door to the basement. Coming back up to the kitchen, I met the cook with the sack Pierre carried.

Walking into the game room, Pierre was surrounded by the boys. He emptied his pockets, he had peanuts for the kids. He gave each boy one and each girl one. He cracked the peanuts for the girls.

Leaving Pierre in the game room, I went to the office.

“Where is Tommy?”

“He’s with the photographer. They are taking photos for his trip to New York.”

“Pepe, if you have any problems while he is gone, call me.” I got a hug for that.

Getting Pierre, we headed back home.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 24
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

If Christian opposes the adoption of Pierre by Armand and Colin, then what will he do?

Will he decided to try to adopt Pierre? What will a court do ? Who will Pierre chose ?

Edited by akascrubber
  • Fingers Crossed 5
Link to comment

Thank you @CLJobe for this wonderful chapter, where we get more of 12-year old Pierre's history, being 'passed around from pillar to post'. (For those unfamiliar with that phrase, it far too often refers to children being moved repeatedly from one relative or place to another, usually in a hurried way. The result being that these poor children suffer, feeling unloved, unwanted, inadequate, blaming themselves for doing something bad so that "no one wants me", as shown in the conversation between Armand and Pierre* ). 🥹

* “Pierre, where did you live before you lived with Christian?”

“I lived with my mother’s sister.” (aunt)

“Where were you supposed to go after staying with Christian?”

“I think Uncle Henri. Grandfather said I should stay with him and Christian. I heard them arguing, Christian said he would be too busy. Grandfather said he had another plan but I never heard anything more.”

“Dad, is something wrong?”

“No, something may be right.”

The papers Pierre had were guardianship papers appointing Arnaud as his guardian. With Arnaud’s death, Pierre had no guardian and he was too young to be on his own. ... the argument that Arnaud had with Christian concerned Pierre’s guardianship".

I'd like to know who Pierre's birth parents are and what happened to them, to put things in perspective.

Lil Ivan is getting his Grandpa Armand in trouble, simply by loving him so much and following him everywhere (upsetting Mom Elsie). 

BTW, Seckel pears make for a wonderful, sugar-free Spiced Pear Jam. My pear tree produces about 1/2 bushel approx 20 lbs (9 kg) of these small pears (1/2 the size of bartlett pear). 

         images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6e4TXjt_Xnpjzhcvv4wZ

x16vPWwSqyegNYcXOXBQshwS7qCGrXOcTNFGzXUs

Eggs Benedict on Fried Polenta rounds.

🫂

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Thank you @CLJobe for this wonderful chapter, where we get more of 12-year old Pierre's history, being 'passed around from pillar to post'. (For those unfamiliar with that phrase, it far too often refers to children being moved repeatedly from one relative or place to another, usually in a hurried way. The result being that these poor children suffer, feeling unloved, unwanted, inadequate, blaming themselves for doing something bad so that "no one wants me", as shown in the conversation between Armand and Pierre* ). 🥹

* “Pierre, where did you live before you lived with Christian?”

“I lived with my mother’s sister.” (aunt)

“Where were you supposed to go after staying with Christian?”

“I think Uncle Henri. Grandfather said I should stay with him and Christian. I heard them arguing, Christian said he would be too busy. Grandfather said he had another plan but I never heard anything more.”

“Dad, is something wrong?”

“No, something may be right.”

The papers Pierre had were guardianship papers appointing Arnaud as his guardian. With Arnaud’s death, Pierre had no guardian and he was too young to be on his own. ... the argument that Arnaud had with Christian concerned Pierre’s guardianship".

I'd like to know who Pierre's birth parents are and what happened to them, to put things in perspective.

Lil Ivan is getting his Grandpa Armand in trouble, simply by loving him so much and following him everywhere (upsetting Mom Elsie). 

BTW, Seckel pears make for a wonderful, sugar-free Spiced Pear Jam. My pear tree produces about 1/2 bushel approx 20 lbs (9 kg) of these small pears (1/2 the size of bartlett pear). 

         images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6e4TXjt_Xnpjzhcvv4wZ

x16vPWwSqyegNYcXOXBQshwS7qCGrXOcTNFGzXUs

Eggs Benedict on Fried Polenta rounds.

🫂

Thank You for The Visuals 💎

  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..