Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,351 Words
  • 1,376 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 114. Chapter 114

That evening Colin called again. John had the beginning of a growth on the left side of his brain. The doctors think they have caught it in time and have given him medication to take. When they all return home, the doctors will remove the growth. On the positive side, John played an excellent round off golf and was in a good mood.

I asked Colin to buy the cameras for the boys and to bring them with him. I also mentioned about Marie joining us while we were in Europe.

“Did you check on the new orphanage?”

“Yes, I have photos. Charles is really backing us on this project. He not only has sub-contractors but he is working two shifts per day. He said when he explained to the workers what this building was going to be and the reason why, they were actually working harder and longer, voluntarily.”

“We must do something for those men.”

“And women.”

“Women?”

“Yes, some of the men have brought their wives who have prepared meals for them and pitched in where they could.”

I couldn’t believe this. To think the community has responded as they have. “Thanks, GG”

“How are the boys?”

“They miss you and I expect them to be knocking on my door any moment. They knew you call in the evening. I miss you, hurry back.”

“Dad, has Pop called?”

“Yes, I have him on the phone. The boys are here. Let me know when you will be returning.”

For the next 45 minutes the boys took over. They had to tell him about the Museum, the crepes in the morning. You would think one boy would tell him and the others add to it. No way, for the next few minutes I heard each boy tell him the same information only from their perspective. It was interesting to hear how each reacted to the same situation.

“Dad, Pop said he has a surprise for us.”

“Did he tell you what it was?”

“No, he said we would have to wait.”

“He will be with us soon.”

The following morning, again we went to the crepe restaurant for breakfast. "Mom, when we get home, I’ll see that you have a crepe machine.”

“I good frying pan will do the same.”

“I’m not sure, but I do know a certain chef and kitchen will have one.” I was sure Marcel will have one if not two.

“This morning we are going to the zoo at the Natural History Museum. They have a leopard from China, it is suppose to be very rare.”

“Dad, we need new cameras.”

“We will stop and buy new cameras. I’ll check with the hotel desk, they may have cameras in their gift shop.”

Walking back to the hotel, “Make sure you have comfortable shoes on, we will do a lot of walking today.”

Arriving back at the hotel, My mom and dad went to change their shoes. “Mom, did Colin call you last night?”

“Yes, I’m worried about John. Armand, maybe John and I should go home.”

“I would hate that you and John didn’t finish this vacation with us, but I understand. Before you make that decision let’s hear what Colin has to say when he arrives in a few days.”

I knew Mom was worried, I was concerned as well. If she and John want to go home, I’ll understand and maybe plan another trip with them in the future.

“Everyone ready?” The boys were ready and the hotel gift shop had the disposable cameras. I should have bought them a camera like Colin’s and mine before we left. Hind sight being perfect again.

I thin the taxi drivers were on to us. Walking out of the hotel, there were three taxis waiting with doors open. The Grands took the first, Marie took two boys in the second and I took the last with Tommy and Richie.

Arriving at the natural museum, they had to show Marie and the Grands the exhibit in the Paleontology Galleria. They didn’t stop to read the information posted on each exhibit this time. It took them a little less then and hour to walk through this exhibit. Next was the zoo with 600 animals from all over the world. I was anxious to see this exotic leopard from China and what made it so exceptional.

The cameras had a limited number of photos. I knew if they took photos like they had before, where each one took photos of the same exhibit, they would need new cameras before we left the zoo.

As we entered the zoo, “Remember your camera has a limited number of photos, so be selective in the photos you take.”

As we walked along the various trails, I noted the Grands were getting a little tired. We had visited about 30 percent of the exhibits. “Marie, there is a cafe up ahead, I think that would be a good place to stop. I’ll continue with the boys and we will circle back.”

We continued to walk stopping at the various exhibits. One thing I noticed, that there were no cages, the animals were free to roam within their confined area. The walking spaces were above and spectators looked down upon the animals. Some of the animals were roaming in a large area separated by a high wall and in some cases a water border between the wall and the area occupied by the animal. Each of these areas were equipped with artifacts designed for the animals. The monkey tableau had trees but none close to the water or the wall. The bear enclosure had several large rocks and a leather ball that could be kicked as well as a pool. Behind these tableaus, where openings that led to animal housing. There was a side door that permit zoo personnel to enter the exhibit.

There was one indoor exhibit, the leopard from the Far East, I wondered why this exhibit was different than the others. Then the cat jumped from a rock across the exhibit when an attendant toss a piece of meat into the enclosure. Now I knew why she was indoor and not outside. She could have jumped the walls of those enclosures. I took several photos of this animal. For some reason I was fascinated. In my mind I knew I would have like to painted her in her natural habitat. I also had a good idea who would buy the painting.

We watched as she ate part of her food and took the rest to the cave in the exhibit. I thought that was strange. It was Richie who had read the placard which said she did this to be sure no one other animal could get to her food. “Dad, this card says in the wild, she would eat of her kill and then hide her undated kill to prevent any other animal form getting to it. Why is she doing it now? There are no other animals in her area?”

“ This is instinctive for her survival. In the wild, there would be other animals hunting for food and seeing anything she killed and hadn’t eaten would be game for them.”

We watched her for a few minutes longer,”Dad, we are getting hungry.”

“Okay Ronnie, let’s go where the Grands and Marie are waiting for us.”

The cafe had a limited offering. Mostly drinks and snack foods. I got the boys their drinks and some snacks, which they shared.

“Armand, there is a cafe that we can walk to and then you and the boys can return to finish your tour of the zoo.”

You didn’t have to be a wizard to read that message. We left the zoo and headed to the street where the boys and I had eaten when we were here before.

After lunch, I called a taxi to take the Grands and Marie back to the hotel. The boys and I returned too the zoo. The zoo had 600 exhibits, and according to the boys, we had to see them all.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 28
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 10/31/2022 at 3:35 PM, mikedup said:

I am glad Colin's dad got to the doctor and got sorted out , better sooner than later as those things just get bad rather rapidly, the boys continue to have a lot of fun ,enjoying life , Colin needs to return Arrow is really missing his other half

Knowing there is a medical issue causing John's behavior takes a lot of guessing out of the equation. I'm not sure who misses Colin more, the boys or Armand.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 10/31/2022 at 4:06 PM, chris191070 said:

I'm glad they found out what's wrong with John.

Yes, everyone will now be at ease. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 10/31/2022 at 4:56 PM, scrubber6620 said:

Colin learned that his dad had a small tumor and the doctor is now treating it. He will operate later. Colin's mother may want to return home and is awaiting what Coiln says when he returns to Paris.

The kids are really enjoying the zoo which is in a modern, uncaged style. The grandparents went home after lunch since they became tired.

Good new on the new orphanage. It is being constructed with speed and should be ready on time. The workers are doing double shifts and their spouses are feeding them to keep them available to work on site. They all want to help the kids and make sure they will not be made homeless. Colin and Armand want to do something generous for them when they return.

There is still a major problem that needs to be solved. Want to guess?

  • Like 3
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment
On 10/31/2022 at 5:10 PM, drsawzall said:

Looks like the boys will know the zoo, by heart by the time they are finished and thank goodness they know what is wrong with Collin's father. Let's' hope the good golf game is indicative of the tumor being benign...not a malignant tumor!!

John/s mood has improved with the medications . I think they will enjoy the rest of their vacation 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, CLJobe said:

Thank you. I always thought that there was an age when birthdays were celebrated anymore.  I was wrong. The meds are helping.

 

 

 

3 hours ago, CLJobe said:

Thank you. I always thought that there was an age when birthdays were celebrated anymore.  I was wrong. The meds are helping.

 

 

O C’mon!  Stop being grampy Keep  take’em  meds and be thankful and got to live this long, having seen all the things you that you saw, and now you can share that with us. Celebrate  your life  Calvin.🍾

PS.: No new chapter today?  LOL

Edited by Tonyr
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

The news was good about John.  The community effort to get the new home for the orphans is heartwarming.  It would be very nice if the celebration when the home opens includes the people who helped.  Even nicer if it resulted in some adopted kids.  Armand and the boys are going to be very tired after seeing 600 exhibits.  The zoo must be very large to have that many open exhibits.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..