Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 2,044 Words
  • 1,478 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 107. Chapter 107

During dinner I told our family what our plans were for tomorrow. “We are going to check on our chefs tomorrow. The cooking school is in the country so we will need to take a train and a bus to get there. I would like for you to go with us, but if you would rather stay here, that would be okay.”

The boys took over, it was grandmother, grandfather, grams and gramps. “Come with us. It’ll be fun.” Their begging paid off, the moms agreed and the dads had no choice.

That evening the boys got an extra hug from Colin and I. In fact they fell asleep in our bed, we moved them to their bed.

We were attacked in the morning. The boys were anxious to see Marcel and James. What they didn’t know, we would try and see Marie as well.

“Colin, call our carpenter and see how the construction of the new orphanage is coming along. I hope we don’t have a problem with the county people.”

“I’ll call about 4 US time. They should have most of the framing done. If there are any problems with county officials, my lawyer will handle it and leave a message for me.”

Dressed for the day, the boys looked sharp. Dress shirts, ties and shoes polished, they shone. I found out later they had the hotel polish their shoes. Granddads told them to leave them out of their door and by morning they would be back polished.

Waking into the hotel dining room for breakfast, under Richies help, they filled their plated from the buffet . I was proud of them, as they came to a dish, they discussed it, then decided as a whole to take some or not. One of the American couples who were there, made a comment how well they behaved. Colin and I heard them, and just smiled.

After breakfast, I asked the boys to make a pit stop. They looked at me as if I was losing it. I started to laugh while Colin whispered for them to go to the bathroom before we left for the train. We had to wait for the older folks anyway.

The boys came back, with the Grands. They hadn’t had breakfast, so we waited for them. The boys were good, I knew they were anxious to get going. The train ride was something exciting for them and then seeing Uncle Marcel and Uncle James was exciting as well.

Finally, I thought we were ready but the Dads had to make a pit stop. Now the boys knew what that meant. I knew when we got home they would say that every time they went to the bathroom.

I put Colin’s mom and dad with two boys in one cab, my parents and two boys in another cab with Colin and I in the third cab. The ride was short, arriving almost as one, I paid the cab drivers. I noticed they weren’t going back empty.

We found our train, I bought tickets for everyone. I didn’t say anything, I didn’t want to hear any comments about me having more money than a bank.

Boarding the train, the seats were two to a row, the two facing each other. Our parents occupied one set, the moms set in one row and the dads sat cross from them. Two of the boys sat with Colin and two sat with me. That is how we started off. Before the train had gone a few minutes, the boys changed with Colin and I so they occupied the four seats across from the grands. That left Colin and I sharing a seat.

“I’m a little excited to see James. Marcel has done this before. This will be routine for him and he will connect with his family. This will be a new experience for James.”

“I wonder how he does with his desire to only use food that doesn’t have additives.”

“I suspect he will do okay. I hope we will see someone else as well.”

“Maybe she will like a vacation this fall.”

“If we are lucky, I’ll ask. We will have to arrange the visit around our other friends.”

“You do plan on seeing Carlo and his bride?”

“Yes, we’ll need to add them to our visitors list.”

“Do you think Madam Lavigne will come?”

“Yes”

We had to switch trains and again a certain father complained. This was a side of John I had never seen. I need to ask Colin why he is being so negative. I knew we would have to walk at the end of our train ride in order to take a bus that will take us into the village.

I knew what to expect from Colin’s dad when he knew he had to walk.

We had left Paris early in the morning and I had calculated we would arrive in the village a little past one in the afternoon. I had plan on having lunch at the restaurant attached to the cooking school.

Just as I expected, at the end of our train ride, “We need to walk to the bus depot. We’ll take a bus to the village and we will have lunch there. I’m anxious to see Marcel and James.”

Then, “Why didn’t you have a taxi bring us directly to the village instead of trains and buses.”

“I wanted the boys to enjoy a train ride. The countryside is refreshing after seeing the streets of Paris. If you don’t want to return to Paris by train, I’ll arrange for a car to take you.”

Colin looked at me, I smiled back at him. I knew he was getting embarrassed.

Arriving in the village, I was surprised. I expected a village like the one in Italy where Carmella lived. This village was even more basic. Farms surrounded the village, the homes were simple, there were a few shops and the main building was Emile’s Cooking School which had a restaurant in front. The air had a fresh smell which for an unknown reason exacerbated our hunger. I thought to have a cooking school here was a gold mine.

Entering the restaurant, “Dad, is this where Uncle Marcel and Uncle James are?”

“Yes, let’s pretend we are here for lunch and see what happens.” The boys had a big grin on their faces.

A waiter came, in French asked us to wait while they pull several tables together.

“Armand, what did he say.”

“He said to wait and they will pull several tables together so we can all sit together.”

By the time Dad said we could split up, the waiter had the tables rearranged. “This way, please.” I was smiling as it appeared our waiter spoke English.

When we were seated, he gave us a menu. The boys couldn’t wait, “Sir, is our Uncle Marcel and Uncle James here.” (This was said in French by Richie)

“You know these men?”

“Yes, sir”

He left and soon he returned with Marcel. I think this was the first time Marcel was ever surprised. He left us and soon returned with James and another man that resembled him. I thought that must be his brother Emile. Introductions were made and then it was if we were all family.

Emile said something to our waiter, he went and picked up the menus. I knew we would be treated as family when he did this.

Then a group of children entered the restaurant. I checked my watch, it was 3, school must be over. I watched as they looked for someone, then I saw James carrying a tray of milk and cookies. The boys looked, “Go and introduce yourselves. Some are learning English.” Richie went and introduced himself and his brothers.

I watched, the boys came back, took their chairs and moved them to the table with the school kids. James brought them milk and cookies. The noise level rose a little. I looked at the Grands, they were watching the boys.

When they were finished with their milk and cookies, the village children prepared to leave. One of the girls who was sitting next to Richie came and gave a him a kiss on the cheek. He looked to see if I saw it. I did and gave him the high sign. He smiled.

The boys moved their chairs back to our table. Colin whispered something to the boys, they laughed.

It seemed the children just left when an older group entered.

“They are in secondary school. There is a girl who has her eye on James.” I watched as she held James’s hand as she gave him her order. Her English was fairly good. Marcel said she was a senior and she wants to teach English.

I turned to say something to Mom when I heard, “Marie”

Looking at the door, there was Richie running toward her. Soon the other Tommy and Ronny joined Richie. Ivan didn’t know her but he would. She hugged the boys, kissing them on their cheeks. Richie pulled her toward our table. Before I had a chance to offer my seat, Colin did.

I knew Colin’s mother knew her but not the others. Whispering, “Colin, introduce Marie to the Grands.”

Marie stayed with us until it was time for us to leave. We were two short going back, Richie and Tommy were going to stay with her and she would bring them to Paris the next day.

Leaving Marcel and James wasn’t easy. We would see them again before we got home.

Catching the bus, to the train and then switching trains. I had to put up with someone’s comment, why I couldn’t have hired a car and driven here instead of using the trains. Looking at Colin, he smiled.

It was late when we arrived back at the hotel. I knew the Grams were tired. The Gramps wanted a night cap. The boys, Colin and I were tired. We were ready for bed.

Colin went to get our hotel key while we waited. “I have a message from our lawyer.”

“It’s a little before 5 back home, give him a call. You can tell me about it later. I’m going to take the boys up and help them get ready for bed.”

The boys were tired, but I’m sure they had a good time. I told them to take a shower, then put their pjs on. “When you are ready for bed, I’ll tuck you in.”

It didn’t take them long, I picked up their clothes, they fell where they took them off. I put their pjs on the counter in the bathroom. I watched as they brushed their teeth. I think if I wasn’t there, they would have fallen asleep on the floor. Once in bed, tucked under the covers, they were asleep. I decided I’ll let them sleep-in in the morning.

Colin came back and didn’t look happy. “The boys asleep?”

“Yes, they were tired and I’m sure if left alone, they would be in bed, clothes and all. What was the phone call about?”

“Our City Councilors are taking us to court. I need to fly back to meet with our lawyer. I made reservations for tomorrow and I’ll retuned Saturday morning.”

“Why are they taking us to court?”

“There is something called Eminent Domain that permits them to take property.”

“But they already own the property. How can they take what they already own? That doesn’t make sense.”

“That will be the position we will take. Charles said by the time we get home the new orphanage will be ready. He has subcontracted some of the work.”

That made me feel better. “The City won’t be able to take that land, right?”

“Yes, it is in the county. But they could, with the State’s help. City Council re-election for two members is coming up in November. I think I’ll run against one of them.”

“What are your chances?”

“Pretty good, one is over 70 and has been on the Council way too long. This issue with the orphanage will help me.”

“Okay, council man, let’s’s go to bed. I’m tired.

I quickly fell into a deep sleep. GG came and said not to worry.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 28
  • Fingers Crossed 5
  • Angry 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The day in the country was grand.  Too bad it ended the way it did.  It seems so unfair that Colin needs to miss a chunk of the vacation to deal with the city council.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..