Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,141 Words
  • 1,108 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 180. Chapter 180

Grandma returned to Paris, Roger went with her and they were met by Arnaud and Jean. Pat returned and had to visit the Home. I told her she would be staying with us until she decided what she wanted to do. I knew she would want to spend time at the Home. What I didn’t know was as soon as we picked her up from her flight home, she wanted to go to the Home right away. Walking into the Home was like returning home for her. The children were glad to see her, I noticed the tears in her eyes as they gave her hugs. Pat was home and everyone was glad.

At dinner that night, Pat sat at the center of the head table. I thought her mouth would be sore from all the smiling she was doing. This would be an opportunity to sit with Colin, didn’t happen. As soon as we walked into the dining room, the boys took Colin and the girls took me. Again we sat apart, Colin smiled as he pretended to be fishing. I was sure there would be a fishing trip this weekend.

Tommy moved from his apartment on the second floor to the fourth floor. He told Pat she could have the apartment if she wanted to stay at the Home. I have to give Pat credit, “Tommy, I appreciate your offer but I can’t accept it. You are now in charge and if I can stop by now and then, I’ll be happy.”

“Pat, Colin, and I have made arrangements for you to stay with us.”

She smiled, I think she was relieved. Staying with us she would be able to stay in touch with the Home and still not interfere with the operation.

Later that evening at our home, she updated us on her stay in Paris.

“There were a lot of kids on the streets begging for food or money. I thought that we could create another Home but I was wrong. These boys were too independent and the girls were already independent. Most of the girls who were in their teens had someone to provide for them. The older girls were prostitutes and if they were good looking they had someone who looked after them. We bought a house, had it furnished with beds and a kitchen. The boys came, slept and had breakfast, and then left. Some of them would return at night and some didn’t. There was no way we could get them to stay. Arnaud was very disappointed that his desire for a place like the Home couldn’t be established. He gave up, and staffed the house which now offers sleeping quarters and breakfast. So when the opportunity arose to come home, I did.”

“We are glad you are back and you can consider this as your home. Tomorrow at breakfast, I’ll introduce you to the children.” I showed her the small bedroom that was behind our room. It was the guest bedroom but now would be hers.

Ronnie and Julia picked out their home and Charles started building it. It was a two-story home with four bedrooms on the second floor. There was a two-car detached garage with an enclosed passageway from the house to the garages. There was a staircase leading to the roofs of the garages. There, Ronnie said he wanted a garden. Once Charles started the construction, Ronnie would visit after dinner returning and bringing us up to date on the construction.

Carlos and his family arrived in March for their annual visit. Little Carlos would be starting school this fall. One never realizes how time flies until something hits you on the back of your head making you realize you are getting older. Poor David, he no sooner learned some French and now he needed to learn Spanish. When in his presence, Carlos spoke English but if you wanted to know and participate, you needed to learn Spanish. The boys helped as did Mary Ann, Louise called him stupid. For some reason, Louise didn’t like David. I didn’t like that and even after punishing her, she didn’t stop. Colin said she was a spoiled brat. He was never close to her, if she resented this and that was the root cause of her agonistic attitude, I’m not sure. I did agree at her next annual physical to have her talk to someone at Children’s Hospital.

I finished the portrait of David’s mom and dad, thanks to GG. Moving my studio to the Home gave me a quiet place to paint. Pat would accompany me. There were times when I thought Pat felt she was a failure since she was ineffective in the Paris project. When she was at the Home, she really was home. The children started to call her Auntie which caused her to smile. She said it brightened her day. I showed Pat the portrait. “Did you provide a portrait to all of your adopted children?”

“Yes, the first was Tommy. Each child has a portrait but not all portraits are of both parents. Toby’s portrait is of his mother, not his father.”

“Where do they keep them?”

“In their rooms. At first, they had them on the wall next to their head and now some are on the wall over their desks.”

I knew they talked to the portraits as if they were there with them. If they felt the presence of a parent or parents, I left that up to GG. I do know when GG helps them, they tell me grandmother in the rocking chair visited them last night. I never ask them what did she tell them or who she brought to see them.

At dinner that night, I gave David his painting. He looked at the painting, then me, then Colin. He was crying as he looked at his mom and dad. Colin hugged him, then he was in my lap. “Dad, how did you know what they looked like? I have no photos.”

“You look a lot like your Dad. That helped a lot.” I wasn’t going to tell him about GG.

“Can I hang this in my room?”

“Yes, get Ronnie to help you.”

I don’t think David stopped smiling all night even when he had tears in his eyes.

GG was happy and said I did a good job.

That night in bed, “Did GG bring you his parents?”

“Yes, I asked for her help. They were good people and I was glad to paint them.”

“I think David was close to you before, he’ll be really close to you now.”

“I think when he catches up, he will shine. Every time I think about Ronnie’s rescue, I know someone is guiding us.”

I heard the creak of an old rocking chair as I fell asleep.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 28
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Pat is back and will soon find a role to play, no doubt!!! So glad David got his portrait, what an important healing moment for him.

I wonder id GG has insight as to why Louise is behaving as she is...it is very concerning to say the least...

For some reason, Louise didn’t like David. I didn’t like that and even after punishing her, she didn’t stop. Colin said she was a spoiled brat. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, Pat has come home but nearby, she can visit but leave whenever she needs to, I think that is an awesome way to go, David will blossom into a smart young man , he is making great strides,  all is well at home 

  • Love 5
Link to comment
6 hours ago, JohnnyC said:

Thank You Fine Sir For The Latest Chapter , It’s Nice to Have Director Pat Back From Paris too. She Discussed Her Findings with Armand On How Their Orphanage Model didn’t Work in Paris . It’s Nice That Colin & Armand Opened Their Home to Her as Well . 

She is an old friend and much cherished by Colin and Armand

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, weinerdog said:

The way you wrote about the Paris project is that based on something you know about the French culture? I have an example of how the French culture is different.When the Beatles were in their heyday and toured the world in every stop needless to say there were huge crowds of girls screaming for them....everywhere except France over there there was no girls in the crowds it was all guys.It was like the French girls thought it was beneath them to scream for the Beatles. I bet some kind of that dynamic was in place when they tried to open a home in France.

I'm guess there is reason why you described Louise the way you did. I wonder if she has an emotional problem?

I have visited France many times and you are right. you don't see many girls on the streets if you go to the bars, you will meet some attractive girls. of course, you will have to buy them drinks and they only drink champagne. Girls are pampered more in France, I think.

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, scrubber6620 said:

The paintings are a great idea. Each child connects to their parents through the painting over their desk. They talk to them and are uplifted.

David is especially touched by Armand's painting of his parents, GG once again helped Armand. Now David is even closer to Armand.

GG continues to help unite and strengthen the bonds of the extended family.

It is important for a child to remember their parents, Having them taken from you creates a feeling of loss and a child feels lost. A photo or painting allows a child to connect. GG with the painting brings a feeling of not being alone.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
52 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, Pat has come home but nearby, she can visit but leave whenever she needs to, I think that is an awesome way to go, David will blossom into a smart young man , he is making great strides,  all is well at home 

Yes and now the visiting cycle begins and poor David will need to learn a new language, or maybe two. Pat was disappointed but all will be okay.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
13 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter 

Thanks Chris. i am glad you are enjoying my story

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Great chapter that was once again filled with good things for all.  I am worried about Louise, even after your comment CLJobe.  I can understand Louise being jealous of Armand's attention to David.  However, knowing what happened to Colin's father twice, I am glad that Armand will be taking her for a check up at the Children's Hospital.  Pat is a joy, and I'm sure she will find a way to continue to help the children.  Tommy offer to let her live at the home again was awesome, but Pat did the right thing by refusing.  

  • Love 5
Link to comment
On 6/2/2023 at 2:44 AM, raven1 said:

Great chapter that was once again filled with good things for all.  I am worried about Louise, even after your comment CLJobe.  I can understand Louise being jealous of Armand's attention to David.  However, knowing what happened to Colin's father twice, I am glad that Armand will be taking her for a check up at the Children's Hospital.  Pat is a joy, and I'm sure she will find a way to continue to help the children.  Tommy offer to let her live at the home again was awesome, but Pat did the right thing by refusing.  

Pat is a gracious woman. Her attempt at creating an orphanage in Paris has left her down. But she is home and the children at the Home will raise her spirits. Louise's attitude has changed thanks to GG. If she was a descendant of Colin's father, she might have had a brain tumor causing her reaction to David and Armand. I think she is a spoiled child, thanks to Armand

 

  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Another great chapter Cal, and many things in play with the family. 

Pat returns from France, perhaps a bit dejected that The Home model that works in (one part of) the States didn't work in Paris, and wouldn't likely elsewhere in France. They have a different mindset and approach to orphaned and street children, as in most countries. But Pat is welcomed with open arms and hearts.

Louise's attitude stems from not being the center of attention, and Armand's 'guilt' is part of that by spoiling her. She sees David as a threat. I think a gentle reminder (a GG dream visit?) will cure that.

David is a success story just beginning.  Armand's painting of his parents is a huge balm for David's spirit. With tears in his eyes when given the portrait he said: “Dad, how did you know what they looked like? I have no photos.”

To which Armand replied: “You look a lot like your Dad. That helped a lot.”  So a photo exists of his Dad and surely one of his Mother somewhere, in an obituary or news article. Something for Colin or Richie to look into.

Friends from Europe coming and going means more trips on the horizon. 

I love waiting in anticipation of the next chapters. Stay well. 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
17 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Another great chapter Cal, and many things in play with the family. 

Pat returns from France, perhaps a bit dejected that The Home model that works in (one part of) the States didn't work in Paris, and wouldn't likely elsewhere in France. They have a different mindset and approach to orphaned and street children, as in most countries. But Pat is welcomed with open arms and hearts.

Louise's attitude stems from not being the center of attention, and Armand's 'guilt' is part of that by spoiling her. She sees David as a threat. I think a gentle reminder (a GG dream visit?) will cure that.

David is a success story just beginning.  Armand's painting of his parents is a huge balm for David's spirit. With tears in his eyes when given the portrait he said: “Dad, how did you know what they looked like? I have no photos.”

To which Armand replied: “You look a lot like your Dad. That helped a lot.”  So a photo exists of his Dad and surely one of his Mother somewhere, in an obituary or news article. Something for Colin or Richie to look into.

Friends from Europe coming and going means more trips on the horizon. 

I love waiting in anticipation of the next chapters. Stay well. 

You do a great synopsis. I missed your comments, glad you are back commenting 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..