Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 4,709 Words
  • 1,019 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 212. Chapter 212

In the morning I had to tell Colin to be careful he didn’t step on the kids. Following him to the kitchen, “I think we need to organize those sleeping bags so that we can at least have a path to the dining room and kitchen.”

Coffee made, orange juice in the pitchers, eggs on the counter, crepe mix finish. We were ready for breakfast.

“You should make one crepe to see if the griddle is hot enough.”

“I suppose I should make a few scrambled eggs in case the griddle is ready.”

“Sounds good to me.”

I laughed, I knew Colin couldn’t wait for the boys. I made him his crepe and scrambled egg. When I handed it to him, he looked at it, looked at me. “Where is the rest?”

“I thought you wanted to share it with me.”

He started to laugh when Charles walked into the kitchen. “Charles, coffee is ready, orange juice in the fridge and I’ll make you a crepe.”

“I can make the crepe. I brought home the leftover soup. It’s in the fridge.”

I looked at Colin, and Charles said all of that in English. Definitely ready for adoption.

He refilled our coffee cups, and sat down with us. “Armand, that is what a crepe should look like.”

I laughed, “If you ate that you would need to run to work. Lose a few more pounds and I’ll make you a crepe like that.”

Richie walked in, he took a cup of coffee and a bite of Charles’s crepe. “I’ll make you one brother.”

I laughed, “Dad, he’s ready.”

Richie and Colin left for work, leaving Charles and me in the kitchen.

“Dad, are you and Pop going to adopt me?”

“Yes, unless you don’t want to be adopted.” Within a split second, I had a young man sitting on my lap. I could see the tears in his eyes.

Carl walked into the kitchen in his pajama bottoms. “Hey, Chef Boy, that’s my dad.”

“Not for long, Painter Boy.”

Carl looked at me, “Really Dad.”

“Yes, I’m going to talk to our judge friend this coming Sunday.”

Carl went and hugged Charles. “See, I told you this would be a good move for you.”

Then our moment was broken when the kids started to wake up, ready for breakfast.

“Did you wash your hands after your pit stop?” They laughed.

Now with Charles helping to make the crepes, I started the scrambled eggs, and Carl took the orange juice to the dining room. Coffee was ready and when Carl returned he took the coffee urn to the dining room. As the boys became awake, after their pit stop, they came into the kitchen for a morning hug. They said they missed the tucking in last night.

Just when you think everyone is eating, and no more crepes are needed, the eight boys from Ronnie’s house show up. More crepes, more scrambled eggs, and another pitcher of orange juice. All of the boys helped, dirty dishes, cups, glasses, and silverware were brought into the kitchen. Now Charles and Carl were busy with the dishwasher.

Then it dawned on me, I didn’t see Pierre.

I was sure he slept in a bag on the floor. He wasn’t there so I went to check his room, he was sleeping in his bed. I wonder if something happened that caused him to go to his room.

Returning to the kitchen, Carl was attending to the dishwasher. One stack of plates and silverware were on the table and Charles was drying them.

“Dad, the girls haven’t had anything to eat. I’ll make a tray for them and take it to their room.”

“You can do that when you are married but not now.”

Charles started laughing, “I told you it wouldn’t work.”

Then Angela entered the kitchen, “The girls are up. Have the children eat?”

“Yes, they ate with the others. Where’s Geno?”

“He went with Colin and Richie.”

So that is where the other crepe I made went. “Go and sit with the girls, my servants will wait upon you.” Carl and Charles knew who were my servants.

Breakfast over, the boys got ready for school. Ronnie took his group, Peter took his group. Before leaving, Peter told Charles to be ready when he came back.

“Dad, the kitchen is closed.”

“I’ll bet you will go shopping with them. Go and have fun.”

I called Tommy and asked that he send the bus for his Italian brothers. About thirty minutes later Pepe arrived. The Italian gang boarded, and Angela and her two kids along with Pierre rode with me. I followed Pepe until he turned into the Home, I drove on to Ivan’s farm.

Arriving at the farm, I left Angela with Elsie as the kids and I toured the farm.

Arriving at the sheep stall, the boys petted the sheep, but not Lil Angela. I could see she was afraid. I took her hand and put it on the sheep, As long as I held her hand she was okay. Now our tour guide led us to the chickens. There Lil Angela wasn’t afraid, the chickens were on the other side of the fence. I gave them each a hand full of cracked corn and watched as they tossed the corn into the penned area. The next stop according to our guide was the apple trees and that is where I met up with Ivan. He was picking apples for James. He had two bushels full and working on the third. I am not sure how much help the kids were but I picked an apple from the tree, handed it to one of the children and they added it to the bushel.

Ivan said he needed to fill this bushel but the plum tree still had plums on it. So that was our next stop. Ivan said he didn’t use any insecticides on the trees but he must use something as the trees looked healthy and were loaded with plums. I picked three, wiped them with my handkerchief, and gave one to each child. Pierre bit right into it, Lil Grno followed and Lil Angela seeing the boys eating the plum, took a bite as well.

I could see Ivan topping off the basket of apples, so we sat on the ground eating our plums. Ivan went and got another basket, he said it was a half bushel. “Fill it up and you can take it home.”

The trick was none of the children could reach the plums on the tree. I picked them, and handed them to the kids, They took them and placed them in the basket. Not drop them but place them in the basket. I was glad it was a small basket.

Pierre asked Ivan if he was roasting peanuts. “Let’s go check.” They walked off leaving me to carry the basket of plums. I took them to the van, I knew where the kids and Ivan were.

Walking toward the peanut roaster, I could hear the kids. Pierre, the leader, was showing Lil Geno how to crack the peanut. I watched, Lil Geno would crack the shell, he ate one peanut giving the other one to Lil Angela. I watched to make sure she didn’t choke.

When it was time to leave, Ivan had a small bag of peanuts for the kids. I knew Pierre’s bag would last several days at the rate of three per day. Not sure about Lil Geno and Lil Angela’s peanuts.

Ivan and I chatted as we headed for his home and my van. “Ivan, come fishing with us on Saturday.”

“I’ll think about it.”

“No don’t think about it, come. I’ll come and pick you up. Elsie and the baby can stay at the Home. You can join us for dinner. It’ll be a nice break for you.”

“I’ll think about it and see what Elsie thinks.”

I knew he would be coming fishing. Elsie had a lot of babysitters at the Home.

Pulling into the Home, Pierre told them to leave the peanuts in the car. I told Angela and she said the kids. Pierre is making a good start with English and now he is being exposed to Italian.

As we entered the Home through the kitchen, the cooks welcomed Angela with hugs. Somehow, she was able to teach them a few Italian specialties. The next thing I knew, she had an apron on and was gathering, flour and eggs. That meant noddles. I left the kitchen and the kids following Pierre headed for the game room. I went looking for Tommy.

Heading to the office I had to pass through the dining room. Charles and his crew were busy. The head table was longer and instead of three long tables for the boys, there were five.

I found Tommy in the living room talking with two women and a man. These people were strangers to me. Tommy saw me, “Dad, wait a moment. I want you to meet these people.”

“Dad, this is Mrs. Courtney and Mrs. Alton from the New York Child Services and this is Dr. Hamlin from the New York State Child Services.”

“Welcome, I trust my son has given you all a tour.”

“Not yet Dad. In fact, since you are here, maybe you could do that.”

Trapped, “Yes, it will be my pleasure. What have you seen so far?”

“The front door and reception area, now the living room.”

In Italian, I told Tommy Angela is in the kitchen and the children are in the game room.

“I just told my son we have a visitor in our kitchen.”

Walking to the entrance area, I pointed out our infirmary. Then knocking on the door, I opened it introducing the doctor, and the nurse and showing them the examination room. Dr. Hamlin noted the XRAY machine.

“We can take the elevator to the second floor but to reach the third and fourth floor you will have to walk up the steps.”

The elevator was okay, I told them this elevator was like Noah’s Ark. They looked confused, only two at a time.

While the ladies rode the elevator the Doctor and I walked up the stairs. The ladies had already arrived and were looking around. The door to the study was open and there were two students with books open.

The ladies wanted to know what kind of books were in that room. I invited them to look around. “About 80 percent of the books came from the schools, both county and city schools. We augment those books with primary and secondary language books. Most of the children here speak French and some speak Spanish and Italian.”

‘Where did they learn these languages?”

“Alex. These people want to know where you have learned these languages.”

“Our grandmother from France visit us each year and taught us French. Then our cousins from Spain visited us and taught us Spanish. Now we have our cousins from Italy and they taught us Italian. Sometimes we forget a word but Dad helps us.”

I smiled and hugged him.

Walking out of the room, one of the ladies made a comment about the hug. “Do you have children?”

“At one time, yes. They are all adults now”

“Did you hug them?”

“Yes, but it's different, You aren’t related to these children.”

“Then you aren’t listening.” I knew I ruffled some feathers.

As if GG was listening, a group of kids came up the stairs and headed to the next floor. Seeing me, they came and hugged me and I hugged them back.

“Every child here is my child. When I’m here, they know they are safe and loved. Can you say that at your Homes?”

The woman walked away. “May we see a room?”

“Sure pick any room.” He did, I knocked no answer, After three picks, the fourth door openD.

“Hi Dad.”

“Jimmy, may we see your room.”

“Sure, Dad.”

I let our guests go in first. Jimmy and I stood at the door and watched. One of them picked up the bank and shook it. “Where does this money come from?”

I didn’t say anything, “That is our allowance, we save it for our Christmas shopping.”

The same woman, “How much is your allowance?”

“Twenty-five cents a week.”

The woman looked at everything. With a pair of gloves on they tried to find dirt or dust. They did find some dust in the clothes closet but they had to get down on the floor to do it. They soon found out that getting down was easy but getting up was difficult. I was going to help but their doctor friend shook his head no.

Then they saw the apartment doors. Who lives there, the house Doctor, the house nurse, and the Manager who you met upon arriving.”

“I suppose he is your son as well.”

“Yes, my partner and I adopted him when he was a young man.”

“Are all the apartments like this?”

“Yes except on the fourth floor. There the apartments are more like a building apartment. Besides a bedroom, they are equipped with a small kitchen, living area, a bedroom, and a small bathroom.”

“Who stays there?”

“Currently two young men who work as carpenters.”

“Do they pay rent?”

“If your child lived at home would you ask him to pay rent ?”

“But these boys aren’t your children.”

“Makes no difference. They live here, they call me Dad, In their world I am their family, and they are mine,”

“Dad, dinner is ready.”

“Thanks, son. Will you join us for dinner?”

“Yes, I would enjoy having dinner with you. Ladies what do you say.”

“Ruth, we can always stop at a restaurant.”

I smiled, walking toward the dining room.

Entering, all of the children stood, I thought what actors? Tommy invited the guests to sit at the head table. I saw my seat and my girls and three boys were there. The usual two plus Pierre.

Moving to my spot, we stood while Tommy said grace. I didn’t know Tommy knew any prayers.

“We want to thank our guests for visiting us.” Looking at the guests, “You are welcome to our dinner.”

We all sat down, which meant I had two girls on my lap, one boy sitting on the stool; between my legs, and a boy at each side.

Then, the cooks arrived with their carts. As plates were filled with Angela’s pasta, and placed before the quests and the head table.. This was followed by a salad and grated cheese. Glasses of grape juice were distributed, and a small loaf of fresh bread was on a small plate. One of the women asked for butter, She had a smart-ass look.

Now the food was distributed to the boys and girls. Everyone had a roll with butter and a glass of grape juice.

I watched as we said Grace, the Italians made the cross across their chest, When we were in Italy, we did also. Now they all did. I almost choked from laughing. Before I could, a fork of pasta was pressed against my mouth. I knew my pants and shirt would probably be tossed. I fed the boys, the girls fed me.

I looked at Colin, he looked at the head table, so I looked as well. The women were having a problem, they couldn’t spin the spaghetti on a fork. Tommy showed them and then he found out they cut their spaghetti into small pieces. I thought let them eat with spoons.

When everyone had finished their plate, the cooks brought out the dishwashing tubs. They brought me an additional plate. With this plate I fed the girls till they said they had enough, then I fed the boys. I was left with two forks of pasta.

While we waited for the cooks to clear everything from the table, the boys asked about fishing. Colin, “Fishing is on for Saturday. Make sure you have your fishing rod.” The boys all clapped. The golfers wanted to know if he was going golfing on Sunday. I watched the head table while this was going on. My two ladies were talking in low whispers. The gentleman with them was talking to Tommy.

With dinner over, the older children went to the kitchen to help with the cleanup, the younger children went to the playroom.

The gentleman with the ladies asked me where did the children go, “Follow me”

Entering the kitchen, he saw the boys scrapping plates, and placing them in dishwashers.

“When the dishes are clean, they will remove them and wipe them dry.”

“Where are the other children?”

“Follow me.” I took him down to the game room. There was a cartoon playing on the TV, some of the boys were working on models and the girls led me to the sofa, and sat next to me and on my lap.

I pointed to a rocking chair for the Doctor to sit. He did and I knew what would happen. There was a little girl about seven, I think. When I sat there she would sit on my lap and I would rock her to sleep. Now someone else was in that chair. “That’s Dad’s chair. He rocks me to sleep.”

I checked my watch her bedtime was within an hour. I had to give the Doctor credit. He picked her up, sat her on his lap, and slowly started to rock her. She snuggled into his arms and soon her eyelids grew heavy.

“She is asleep. I’ll take her and tuck her in.”

“Just show me. I’ll tuck her in.”

I told the girls I’ll be back. He carried her upstairs, We had to go through the dining area, our two ladies were there writing I suppose a report. Seeing the Doctor with the girl, looking at me, “What did you do?”

“There was too much sleeping powder in her dessert, Try and stay awake."

I showed the Doctor her sleeping bed. It was a copy of Snow White’s bed in the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

“Where did you get this made?”

“The carpenter who built this home had it made.”

“I hate to ask but this home isn’t like other orphanages in this country.”

“No, it isn’t. The children call this the Angel’s home. When the city wanted to tear down the original orphanage, a couple of men got together bought this land, and built this place,”

“Yes it wasn’t cheap but you can’t find a better place for those without parents. I am called Dad. They picked it up from my children calling me dad. Colin and I work hard to provide these kids the same advantages as those children living with their parents. They go fishing, some play golf, they go to ball games, they go to the zoo, and the girls are taken shopping by a women’s club. Skills are taught here, cooking, sewing, mechanical, woodworking, and gardening.”

While I was talking I walked him outside. “We have a swimming pool, our instructors are lifeguards from Yale, A hothouse, fruit trees, and a playground. And from here you can see corn and beans, chickens and geese. This is like a small farm, a kid's farm.”

“This must have cost a lot of money.”

“It did but we were fortunate our donors paid for it all and continue to do so. Stop by Saturday evening at about six, for a fantastic fried fish dinner, “

Walking back in through the kitchen, Angela looked like she was ready to go home. “Let me round up the kids and I’ll have Pepe drive you and the kids home. I think Colin and Geno may have left.”

“Well, sir looks like everyone is ready to go to sleep. I think your ladies are in the living room.”

Walking into the living room, the two ladies stood, “Well it is about time. We have to drive home and now we won’t get there until half past ten.”

Thanking me, the Doctor escorted the ladies out to the car. I hadn’t realized they hadn’t made arrangements to stay the night in the city and drive home in the morning. I was getting the impression they were hoping to find problems or reasons to justify their facilities.

Walking into Tommy’s office. He and Pepe were laughing. “What’s so funny?”

“Those two ladies were talking about stopping at a restaurant on the way home. I don’t know what they serve at their home, but it must be awful.”

“Dad, what did the man say?”

“He was quite impressed. Tim did a good job. I gave him an extra quarter. He saw the Library, Tim was studying some thing, he looked at the book, it was in French. He asked Tim if he understood what he was reading. Tim told him all of the children here speak French and they also speak a little Italian. He was impressed.”

“Dad, do you think he will come back.”

“Maybe, but he might ask you to visit.”

“Tommy, the police just entered with a boy.”

“Dad, don’t leave. Let’s go Pepe.”

I went to the control room and watched on the screen. The boy was scared. I watched Tommy and Pepe, the police handed Tommy a file, he glanced through it, said something to Pepe. Pepe came back into the house. Tommy shook hands with the police and taking the boy by the hand headed back in. He stopped in front of the door looking up at the Angel, he said something and then pointed to the angel. The boy looked up, still crying.

Walking Ito his office, “Dad, this is Silas.”

“Hello Silas. The children here call me Dad. You can call me that also if you want.” I’m not sure how much he heard, he was still sobbing. Pepe returned and said the cooks were heating up some soup.

“Silas, let’s you and I go get some soup.” I took his hand led him to the kitchen. The cooks had his soup ready with a large slice of homemade bread. I knew Tommy would get the doctor and nurse up, a new boy or girl always required a medical check in.

I watched him eat while I had a cup of coffee. He ate slowly, I asked if there was any spaghetti left over. Smiling they said no. I really didn’t expect any.

When he finished with his soup. They set a small dish of custard in front of him. He ate that slowly, there wasn’t much, When he was finished eating, we headed to the doctor’s office.

I introduced him to the doctor and nurse. He looked at me and when they took him to the exam room, he wouldn’t let go of my hand. So I went with them. Doc patted the exam table I lifted him up and sat him on the table. He was light, way to light for his height and age. I took a pad of paper and wrote undernourish on the top page giving it to the nurse.

Doc looked at what I wrote, added the word lice. I wrote, check for worms. I don’t know why I wrote that and then I heard the creaking of a rocking chair. This young man has an guardian angel.

“Armand, I’m going to have to shave his head.”

“Shave mine first, then shave his.” He took his razor, changed the blade, and began to shave my head. He didn’t cut anything. “Doc, that tickles. Silas, want to try.”

I saw Doc change the blade. I sat down and the nurse placed him on my lap. She tied a cloth around his shoulders, and Doc shaved his head. The hair was full of lice. The nurse took the cloth with the hair, wrapped it up and placed it into the garbage can. Then she had several bottles of scented oils. While we smelled the oil, she shampooed his head. We picked out a scented oil, it smelled like oranges. Drying his head, she rubbed the oil into his head.

The next stop was the X-ray table. He played down holding my hand. X-rays are fast, developing the plates take the most time.

Next stop, was the bath room. Doc gave him something to drink, I knew what it was. A deworming was going to take place. It didn’t take long before he dropped his pants and sat on the commode. Settled he looked for my hand. I heard it and then smelled it. He started to cry. “It’s okay. We need to get all of that bad stuff out so we can fill it with good stuff.” Since I didn’t panic he was okay. When he was finished, he looked for toilet paper. Doc came in and did a wipe. Taking the paper he went to the exam room. We waited.

About 10 minutes later, he came back with another elixir He said it tastes like cherries. I boy drank it and had to sit on the toilet again. After a few minutes he started to push. Then he really pushed and started to cry. I heard a noise, he was out. The Doc came in, “He’s fainted. What did you give him Doc?”

Doc lifted him, “Look” “Doc that’s a snake.” “No, it’s the mother worm. He will be okay now. Give him a warm bath and he should be fine. He’ll need food.”

I carried him to the exam room, where I washed him. “Doc, call Tommy or Pepe I need clothes for him and tell them to get the cooks busy.”

As I was drying him he opened his eyes. Seeing me he began to cry. I knew he was mixed up and scared. Wrapped him in the towel and sat him on my lap. I held him and that was the way Pepe found us. He had fallen asleep.

“Dad, this is his room number. Les will be his room mate. He knows you will bring him there.”

“What about food? He’s going to be hungry. Pepe, tell the cooks soft-boiled eggs.”

I dressed him in the clothes Pepe brought, they were about two sizes big for him.

Dressed, I carried him to the kitchen. “He needs soft food, easily to digest.”

I sat down with him on my lap. When the eggs were done and cool enough, I put a little on a spoon, touching his lips, he opened his mouth and I tilted the spoon of soft boiled eggs into his mouth. His eyes shot open, seeing me he relaxed. “Ready for some more?”

I was sure I heard, “Yes, please.”

I sat there feeding him the soft boiled eggs. One of the cooks had a sliced of bread with the crust removed. The bread was buttered and had some preserves on it.

He was almost done with the eggs when I gave him a piece of the bread. His smiled said it all. We sat there until he had finished the eggs, finished the bread with the jam and a small glass of milk.

I put him on my shoulder and we walked to his room. I knocked on the door, Les opened the door, “Is that my new room mate?”

“Yes, his name is Silas. Silas, this is your new room mate and his name is Les,”

I walked in behind the boys. If I remember Les is one or two years older than Silas but the both are about the same height.

“Les, will you explain about where the clothes are, show him the apartment and make him feel like home.?”

“Sure Dad. He’s my size just a little thinner.”

“Silas, I must leave now. Les will help you and if you need me, ask Uncle Tommy or Uncle Pepe to call me, okay.”

He nodded okay, I noticed as I was leaving Les had an arm around him as he showed him his apartment.

Leaving I stopped in the office, “He’s with Les and it seems he is okay. I’m going home. Remember, fishing Saturday.”

Driving home my thoughts were on Silas.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 28
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 9/10/2023 at 5:32 PM, weinerdog said:

I almost put a sad reaction because of how they found Silas.He was nearly as bad off as David was.

Those child service people seemed hell bent on finding something wrong with The Home.This place has been in operating for some time now none other then the police brought Silas to them because they knew it was the right place to bring him. so why did these child service people show up now? Makes me think some moron complained about The Home

I think the man who was head of the State child services heard about the Home and wanted to see it. The ladies operated the orphanages and I'll bet their places were like the original orphanage that was next to Yale, old, run-down, and very crowded

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..