Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 971 Words
  • 1,695 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 40. Chapter 40

Sunday we had dinner at Colin’s house, that soon became the normal. My mom and dad were leaving in the morning and this gave us a chance to say goodbye. I saw Mom corner Colin, she wanted a copy of the photos. He had anticipated that, he had a copy for his mom and mine as well.

Monday Colin went to work, I waited for the carpenter. He showed up with a crew of four guys. From our discussions the previous week, he had two of his men head to the roof. While two started to work on the cloak room and a partial floor over the stairs to the basement. I told them to only provide a floor for rest rooms the size of the rest rooms on an airline, I wouldn’t need a special bathroom for the guys and girls.

I left them to it telling them I had to do some shopping. The first place on my list was a carpet store. I was looking at several samples when the manager approached. I explained what type of carpet I needed, he proceeded to show me several types. He gave me samples of the carpets and a color chart. I’ll show these to Colin tonight.

My next stop was a restaurant supply store. Walking around I saw several different types of tables. Again, the manager came to inquire if I needed help. I explained who I was and I need tables and chairs for the club. He suggested a solid square table that would seat four. I asked him if he would like to visit the club so he could help me with a layout and he readily agreed. Before I left I bought a standing desk and a register log. If Colin buys my idea, I will have someone standing at the entrance and members will have to sign in.

Arriving back at the club, the carpenter wanted to show be the roof. “Is this what you had in mind?”

“Yes, it’s perfect. In Barcelona these were on a tall building overlooking the city. There were referred to as sentinels. Colin wanted them on the roof of the club.”

“I only brought enough wood for these four. How many more do you want?”

“Besides these, how about one on each corner that could be seen from the street?”

“I’ll have the men do that tomorrow. Now come and show me what you want on the doorway into the club's main room.

I did and with the photos I was able to show him the arch I was going to paint. “To give the arch a sense of being stone, I’m going to need a slightly rough surface. Any ideas?”

“Once I have the wood cut to size, I can put a thin surface of cement on the wood. I’ll bring a sample before I cut the other wood to size.”

I thought that was a great idea. It would look like an arch and feel like an arch.

Then a thought flashed through my mind. If we ever go to Greece, I wonder what else he will want.

I needed to visit a garden center. I wanted to put flower containers on the roof. I checked the telephone directory for the nearest garden center. There was one close to Yale so I headed there.

Walking on to the lot, I saw several ceramic containers, wooden containers and hanging baskets. A young woman approached me asking she could be of help. She was and after explaining what I wanted, she showed me the wooden containers that were lines with a sheets of plastic. I noticed that the bottom of the plastic had a hole in it. She said it was for drainage. I bought 6 of these boxes and with her recommendation flowers to plant in the box. She would deliver them and plant the flowers for me the coming Tuesday.

While I was there I noticed the some of the cement statues. I asked her where she got them, she gave me an address, I thanked her. I was going to return to the club but I decided to stop at Yale and visit my professor.

“Armand, it is good to see you. How was your vacation?”

“It was great. In fact that is why I am here. In your class do you have an artist of the old style?”

“What did you have in mind”

“When I was in Rome, we visited the Spanish Steps. I want to paint them on the wall of the stair case leading to the roof of our building.”

“Do you have photos or sketches?”

“I have photos.”

“I need to think about who I have that could do that for you.”

“I’ll pay them for doing the work.”

“I’ll call you in a few days.” Thanking my professor, I drove back to the club.

Arriving at the club, the carpenters had the space under the staircase to the second floor exposed.

“Mark, have you the dimensions of the bathrooms.”

“I have a photo of equipment which I think is what the airlines use.”

“You may have to do a layout to see how much floor you’ll need. I need to make sure we can reach the basement without bumping out head.”

“Armand, we need to talk about the framing of the club’s doorway for your painting..”

“I was at the gardener’s today. What do you think that after we frame the door way, we make plaster casts of stones that we can attached to the backing board?”

He smiled and I had a feeling that was what he would do.

That evening I told Colin we needed to advertise for musicians. He said he would take care of that. Turned out his mother said she would help with that.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 19
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Kev

Posted (edited)

Sorry catching up as usual... still loving my time with the boys.

Edited by Kev
  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 5/31/2022 at 9:30 AM, chris191070 said:

The club sounds like it will be amazing. Armand is fitting everything Colin wanted.

I suppose with the small toilets, it's to stop people (girls) using them as a meeting place.

French Squat Toilets Would Stop The Girls from Talking 😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
On 6/2/2022 at 5:44 PM, CLJobe said:

It will be a constant reminder of Colin's European trip

 

On 6/2/2022 at 5:47 PM, CLJobe said:

Armand will do everything he can to keep the trip alive for Colin. 

 

On 6/2/2022 at 5:48 PM, CLJobe said:

There are two bathrooms the same number as the original club. If you have ever flown, the size of the bathrooms will be the same as on a plane.

As grand and beautiful as the club will be, it would be extremely jarring to stand in line for the bathroom, then open a door to a tiny bathroom like that. Airline bathrooms are not nice.  I don't think the airline bathrooms would keep the holiday alive for Collin.

I do understand the problem with the girls, but two of them could tie up the bathrooms for a long time as they text their friends and send pictures of the club.  

Edited by raven1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..