Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,676 Words
  • 1,227 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 126. Chapter 126

Colin was still getting dressed when the boys knocked and entered our room. They were dressed in their suits and I knew the decision was to eat here tonight. “Colin, suits tonight.”

He came out of the bath room with a towel wrapped around his waist and his face half shaved. The boys whistled and he chased them out of the room by pretending to put shaving cream on their faces. I’m not sure he was pretending. Sometimes Colin acts like a kid their age.

When we were finished dressing, we went downstairs as a family. Colin and I were holding the boys hands in ours. Smiles was the choice of facial expressions. Walking into the dining room, people noticed how nicely the boys were dressed and how mature they acted. I knew Richie had his hands in that, probably with a little coaxing from Marie.

The moms had a big smile on their faces and the dads stood and shook hands with them. I think I popped a button on my shirt.

Every time I see them behaving as a grown man would, I think about how they came to be carrying Colin and my names. I couldn’t be more prouder. I wish I could bring all of the kids to Europe to see the sights these boys where seeing and experiencing. I knew I would see that Colin’s boat was big enough for all of the boys to go fishing, as one group.

Dinner was exceptional. I’m not sure if it was the food or the elegance of our table. Watching the boys eating I knew Marie had been teaching them what I called table manners. Even the waiters commented.

Dinner over, the boys whispered, “We have to make a pit stop.”

I started to laugh. I couldn’t help myself, after they behaved as a true gentleman, they reminded me they were boys with that pit stop comment.

Mom wanted to know why I was laughing, Colin whispered something, she smiled.

The boys came back, seated, “Father, may we have small glass of wine.”

That did it. I got up and left the dining room. I started to laugh as soon as I cleared the dining room doors. Colin came out, “Are you okay?”

“Yes, who put the boys up to their behavior tonight? They never call me father and then ask for a small glass of wine.”

Then Colin started to laugh. “You did that when you were supposedly swimming.”

“What do you think of our gentlemen.” My answer was a kiss in front of anyone who was in the hotel lobby.

Now I knew what I was going do. Walking back into the dining room, I asked our waiter to bring all of the men, including the boys, a glass of wine. When that was done. I stood, “Gentlemen, raise your glass to our lovely ladies.” Then the boys, “Hear, hear.” The other diners clapped.

We drank our toast, sat down and then we laughed. I made up my mind, no more traveling without my family, even if it would be an overnight trip. Saying that, I had no idea when I would be traveling next.

That night laying in bed with Colin, I laughed every time I thought about tonight. It turned out that wasn’t a bad idea. Colin had a unique way to get me to stop laughing.

 

In the morning, with the boys in our bed, we talked about what we were going do today. I mentioned I had a meeting with Alesander that translated to a fishing trip for the boys. Colin thought why not, so fishing trip on. Now we need to let the dads know and figure out something for the women to do.

The boys suggested that they could come with us fishing. I wasn’t sure if there was room on the boat. Colin suggested we could stay on the wharf, Dads could handle the boys and the ladies could get some fresh sea air. I thought it was worth a try.

We had breakfast in the dining room, no crepes or pancakes this morning. During breakfast we told the ladies what our plans were, including them on the boat. That didn’t go over well, they would find something to do but they are not going on the boat. Our dads said fine and we left for the wharf and fishing.

While we were walking I told our dads what Alesander and I talked about. They thought it might work but……..(That meant the idea needed to be discussed by all five of us)

Arriving on the docks, Most of the boats were out fishing. Grandfathers boat and the boat next to his were still there.

“Grandfather, you aren't going out today?”

“No, everyone was going out when I arrived. I was going to catch bait today and go out tomorrow.”

“Those fishermen go for shrimp and lobster. You go further for tuna and other fish.”

“Yes, but one tuna feeds a lot of people for several days. Only the hotels buy them and delivery is a problem. The small fish sells from the dock for Friday dinners.”

I saw the disappointment in the boys eyes. “Alesander, let’s go fishing for the small fish and if we catch a large tuna we can take it to the hotel.” I would even suggest they butcher the the Tuna on the dock and sell it in pieces. This will be the last fishing trip for the boys. While Alesander was convincing his grandfather to take the boat out, I whispered to GG for help.

The captain with the boat next to grandfathers, “It looks like you are going out so I think I’ll go out also.” He started his boat and soon was heading out to sea.

Now being alone, Grandfather decided to go fishing. All on board, we went for fuel and then headed out.

“Alesander, while we are moving to Grandfathers fishing spot now would be a good time to talk about the seafood store.” Smiling he headed to the helm. The boys were smiling, they were going fishing. I think each boy had a trap but no bait. I took a net and held it in the water, soon I caught a fish that swam near the surface. I gave it to the boys, two traps were baited.

“Dad, why was that fish swimming so close to the surface?”

“Probably saw a bug and came up to eat it. He didn’t see the net.” Of course, Grandfather had opened the throttle and was moving pretty fast. He was in a hurry to get that big Tuna.

There is that saying, Monkey see, Monkey do. So now each boy had a net skimming the water. Ronnie caught another small fish, the boys said he cheated, his net was further in the water. They told him he had to clean the fish and divided it for the other traps. Richie whispered in his ear, for some reason I knew what he said and what Ronnie was going to do. Ronnie took the knife, cut the fish into two, and put a part in each trap. Tommy and Ivan said it was cheating, “Ronnie didn’t get any guts on his hands.” Tommy made a face like ugh, they laughed and patted Ronnie on the back.

Arriving Grandfather’s favorite spot, the boys and dads began to fish. The traps were lowered and now the waiting game. I knew Grandfather was hoping for a large tuna and I was hoping he wouldn’t catch one. From the looks Colin gave me, I think he was hoping the same thing. Ever once in a while, Grandfather would come and jiggle the boys lines. I think he was getting a little discouraged.

“Alesander, talk to your grandfather about the store. Mention how he could get a big tuna and you could cut it into smaller pieces and sell it.”

I knew if Alesander was going to be successful he will need the cooperation of the fishermen.

The boys started to catch fish. They weren’t as big as Grandfather hoped for but they were big enough for a fair sized family. “Gramps, how many people do you think that fish Ivan caught would feed?”

“My guess is by the time you filet it, you could have 6 pieces probably 4 inches by 6 inches. That’s a nice size for a family.”

I was hoping that Grandfather heard Dad’s comments. Colin was the translator for the day helped by the boys.

Docking Grandfather wasn’t happy, no big fish. The traps were full and compared to the last time we fished, they had a lot more lobsters this time.

Marko was happy as his supply of lobster was dropping fast. He mumbled something about a group of tourists who were eating all of the lobster paella. The boys laughed, they knew who he was referring to and who the tourists were.

We were going to carry some of the larger fish to the hotel for the chef. I started to laugh, we must have looked like the strangest group of tourists the citizens of Barcelona had ever seen. Looking at us you could tell we were carrying fish.

A couple stopped and started talking to Alesander. The woman smelled the fish, said something to her husband, he nodded and she bought a fish.

I looked at Colin, “That was an easy sell. Do you remember that song about a woman selling cockles or something like that.”

“That might work, all he would need is a wheelbarrow and ice. He could start that way until he opens the store.”

“If he fillet the fish, maybe keep one whole, packed the shrimp in shaved ice, he could make some money. Marko will take all of his lobster but if he didn’t, he could sell it as well.”

“He could deliver it to the hotels, take an order for tomorrow. Fish today to fill the order, and deliver the next day.”

“Tonight, let’s chat with him.”

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 21
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 11/29/2022 at 1:25 PM, mikedup said:

Some progress, that grandfather still does not get the entire picture, I hope however that he will come round and see the benefit of smaller is sometimes better , regardless the boys acted as perfect gentleman at last night's dinner, a great chapter 

thanks  I think Grandfather haven't told us everything. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
23 hours ago, weinerdog said:

That was sort of like a mini cliffhanger. I thought the conversation was going to happen in this chapter. But now we know it will be in the next chapter with the question "Can they convince Grandfather "

 

 

The niching about cliff hangers it keeps your interest.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
21 hours ago, chris191070 said:

The boys are growing up fast.

Yes and I think that caught Armand by surprise

  • Like 5
Link to comment
15 hours ago, scrubber6620 said:

Let's hope a breakthrough happens and the grandfather realizes he can have a good business. Time will tell.

Yes, as Grandfather begins to trust these strangers, he will open up 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I do hope that Grandfather yields to GG influence.  It would help him, Alesander, the fishing community, families in the area and the restaurants throughout the city.  The boys are rapidly becoming mature young men on this trip.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..