Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,349 Words
  • 1,871 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 41. Chapter 41

Saturday, we had dinner at Colin’s parents. I brought them up to date on what I had been doing. Mary volunteered to help select the kitchen ware including silverware and dishes. I knew that was her way of offering her support. So we agreed that she would come over with John when he picked up Colin for work.

Sunday, Colin and I worked on the menu, which was really the Tapa’s that Colin liked. “When is Marcel and Jimmy due to return?”

“Sometime next week, why?”

“We need to bring them up to date, menus need to be made and the bar needs to be stocked. I thought they could work on that.”

“Marcel needs to make sure the kitchen is ready. I’m sure he will need supplies and possibly additional equipment. When do you think we will open?”

“We are working on the bathrooms. I have a student who will paint the Spanish Steps along the back wall of the stair cases. I hope to start painting the entrance to the club room and you need to see about the street entrance to the building. I’ll use your mother to help with the selection of tables and chairs, carpets and music. We’ll have to buy a piano.”

“Do you think we will open before the new term starts in the Fall?”

“I’m shooting for July 4th.” Shooting for and happening are two different things.

“Colin, we need to have a new membership form. Why don’t you think about that when you are at work.”

“What’s wrong with the old form?”

“We need to be more specific. For example, we should include an initial membership fee. That money could be used for the club’s upkeep. A monthly fee to help off set staff salaries. I was thinking of the members signing the checks and then we would bill them at the end of the month. We can give them 10 days to pay their bill. If the fail, they will be charged a late fee and if they haven’t paid within 30 days, they will no longer be allowed in the club.”

“Why the initial fee? I didn’t have that before.”

“We are doing a major upgrade to what was before. The bar, the music, dance floor, the painting and particular the mural. This isn’t the same club you had before. I would bet those old members will be glad to pay.”

“Before we went to Europe we were thinking about a Board. I think we should formalize that.”

“I agree and I’ll rely on you selecting the people.”

“I need to find someone to build my stone arch around the entrance door.”

“Maybe you can get a list of construction firms. I’m sure they must have people who work with stone. There are several buildings here that have a stone facade.”

Colin smiled, I think he was feeling on the sideline rather than being an active part of the retrofit. I knew when Marcel and Jimmy returned he would carry that ball.

Monday morning when John came to pick up Colin he dropped Mary off. I was surprised to see her. “I’m here to help.” I smiled evidently Colin said something to his dad that I was carrying the ball and could use some help.

“Welcome aboard Mom.”

After Colin and his Dad left, “Come and have a cup of coffee and I’ll fill you in.” I went into the Club’s kitchen and poured two cups of coffee. With the workman being there, I had a large coffee urn in the kitchen so they could take a coffee break.

With our coffee, I thought we would start at the top and work our way down. Walking up to the roof, I explained what was there and what my plans were for the roof.

“Has Colin seen this?”

“No, it’s a surprise for him. He saw this in Barcelona and wanted to do it here.”

Walking back down, I stopped at the platform just outside of the roof door. “I’m going to have this door painted blue with white clouds. I have arranged for artists from Yale to paint the Spanish Steps on the walls of the stair case. On the wall at the end of the stairs, we will paint the church and the plaza before the church on the photos you saw.”

Walking down to the first floor, I showed her where the carpenters were making a cloak room and two bathrooms.

Walking to the doorway into the club, I told her about creating a Roman arch. Inside the hall, I pointed to the far left wall, told her that is where I’ll paint Colin’s mural. I told her about the ceiling needed to be finished, the carpet on the floor, the dance floor needed to be finished. Looking at her when I finished, she wanted to sit down.

“Well, you got the 25 cent tour. What do you think?”

“I need to digest everything you showed me. Have you made any arrangements with these people?”

“Yes, I’ll take you to meet them and then we can have lunch. Now my electrician just showed up.”

Mary and I went to greet the man who had worked in the club when we were on tour. “Gene, this is Colin’s mother who will be helping me. Let us show you what I need done with the ceiling.” Walking back into the Hall, I told him I wanted small lights attached to the ceiling. When that was done, I’ll have the plasters come in a plaster over the ceiling covering the lines leading to the bulbs. “I want the bulbs to be blinking to give the impression of stars. The plaster will be painted blue with clouds. In the evening, the blinking lights will be like stars.”

He nodded, “When can I start?”

“Now, if you have the time.”

“Will he know what you want?”

“Yes, he has done all of the electrical work here.” She smiled.

“Let’s go and meets some of the people I talked to and then we’ll have lunch.”

We went to the carpet store where I introduced Mary to the manager. He wanted to come and see the club and I told him Mary would contact him and make arrangements. I thought if I could get the carpet guy and the restaurant guy at the same time, Mary would be able to work with them as a three person team.

We had lunch at Pete’s and while I was there, I called Yale. Speaking with my professor, I invited him and his student to lunch at Pete’s.

Fifteen minutes later a young man entered. I saw hime talking to Pete and Pete pointing to me. Smiling, he introduced himself as David, Professor Galen’s student. I introduced Mrs. Roberts and invited him to sit down and have lunch with us.

During lunch I discussed the work I wanted done. I asked him if he had any experience in painting scenes. He said he painted scenes for the drama club.

I told him about painting the Spanish Steps on the wall next to the stairs leading to the roof. He thought he could do that. Of course, he didn’t know the number of steps. I invited him to stop at the club and I would show him what I wanted, as I didn’t have any of the photo’s with me.

After lunch, we said goodbye and agreed to meet this coming Saturday.

“He seemed like a nice guy… Do you think he can do it?”

“He was recommended by my professor who knows my style. I’m hoping he will be able to do it. Colin has a mural he wants and that will take several weeks.”

“When will you start your mural?”

“Not until the club is finished, or at least 90 percent.”

“John said Colin is quite excited about the club. He said all he talks about is the trip and how the club will be a constant reminder of the trip.” I just smiled, if she only knew how excited he was.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 27
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 6/2/2022 at 6:57 AM, chris191070 said:

The club sounds amazing. Great to see Mary helping, will help with some of the final details.

Yes, the boys will need help and she will take a load off Armand 

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 6/2/2022 at 8:10 AM, scrubber6620 said:

Armand is really getting into the details. He covered a lot of ground with Collin and Mary his mother, in non-technical terms. I guess he is going to be the general contractor. His fee structure sounds like he is putting the club on solid footing.

It looks like a great deal has to happen on time if the club will open on July 4.

Yes and from experience, opening dates are always tentative 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 6/2/2022 at 9:32 AM, weinerdog said:

When I heard them mentioned  membership fee I thought people being people some will grumble but most will give it some thought when they see all the changes.Would the two dingbat girls pay a fee?Doubt it.Ban them anyway

I'm not sure how the boys will react if Marylou shows up. She was the leader of the girls that behaved badly.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 6/4/2022 at 10:53 PM, CLJobe said:

One nice thing about writing fiction, is you can make up your own rules. And as you notice I take advantage of that. We'll see how close your thoughts come to reality, in my story.

@Anton_Cloche got me thinking about another "rule" you might consider changing.  That was the age rule for the old club.  It doesn't feel right that a longtime member with plenty of younger friends, just get kicked out when they reach a certain birthday.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..