Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 898 Words
  • 737 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 238. Chapter 238

Arriving home, I saw Colin’s van. “I think we are in trouble.”

“Why?”

“We were supposed to have dinner at the club,”

Smiling, “I’ll give Pop a peanut. He’ll smile and I’ll get a hug.” I thought what a rascal he was because I knew he was right about Colin.

As soon as Colin saw Pierre, he wanted to know how he felt. He placed his hand on his forehead feeling for a fever I guess.

I went to make some coffee, it seems that whenever we are together, we drink coffee. I just poured three cups when Richie and Ronnie showed up.

Now the five of us sitting at the kitchen table, “Pierre, do you know Terry McBride and John Hershey?”

“Yes, Terry is a programmer and John verifies the program. They work as a team. When I first went to Paris, they came and set up my computer so I could stay in touch with the home office, and they were in touch with me. Why?”

“They were the two men who duped you, took your money, and had you sign the deed to the cottage.”

“Are you sure? We have been friends. When we consolidated England and Germany into my office, they spent several months going back and forth.”

“Did they ever meet Christian and did you ever show them your cottage?”

“I did show them the cottage but Christian was working on restoring it.”

“Did they meet Christian?”

“Yes on a few occasions,”

“Why?”

“Christian wanted the cottage. Would you know why?”

“No, it is a simple small cottage. Christian has his dad’s house. There is no reason why he would want the cottage.”

“The men said it was a part of the deal. Christian mentioned that before your mother died, you grandfather gave her a gift. He told her to never show it to anyone and to guard it.”

“I never knew that. She never said anything.”

As they were talking, I remembered the small box Arnaud gave me. I went to my bedroom and rummaged through my desk when I finally found it. Returning to the kitchen, I gave the wrapped box to Pierre.

“The day your grandfather asked me to take care of you, he gave me this. I have never opened it. I had the idea it was meant for you. So here, it’s yours and you can open it.”

I watched as Pierre carefully unwrapped the small box. Opening the box, he looked at the contents and then at me. “It is three gold coins.”

I knew those gold coins weren’t just plain gold. They had something to do with his heritage.

Colin went to his office and brought his magnifying glass to the kitchen. He gave it to Pierre.

“Dad, who was Louis XIV?”

“He was king of France, he died in 1715. Why?”

“The inscription on the coins, How did grandfather get these coins.”

“Your family was involved in the French government. When Napoleon fought and won France, your ancestors were charged with taking the royal treasury and hiding it.”

“So grandfather knew where this treasure was buried.”

“Yes, in privacy he told me where it was located. But before he died, he gave all the living relatives a large sum of money, Including Christian. I’m sure Christian found your grandfather’s list and seeing your mother’s name on it, he wanted her share of the money. I think that was why he was quick to agree to refurbish the cottage. Not finding anything, he was going to burn it down in hopes of finding the money.”

“He doesn’t know about these coins?”

“No, you probably would have stayed with him if he did.”

“I don’t understand. Grandfather was a wealthy man, I’m sure Christian inherited his wealth.”

“Your grandfather was a shrewd businessman. My guess is Christian isn’t.”

“Dad, I’m going to represent these two men. They will pay for what they did provided they tell the judge what this attempt on Pierre was all about. I don’t think you’ll see Christian in the States.”

 

Richie and Ronnie left.

“Dad, I can’t take these coins back to France.”

“Leave them here. The next time you come home, we will go to our bank and rent a locker.”

“Let’s go now. I called the bank manager and he will open it for us.”

I looked at Colin. I never knew a bank manager opening for a client in all my years. But if that is what Colin said, we left with the coins.

We met the bank manager, he took us to a small side door. “This leads directly to my office.”

Over the next few hours, we rented a safe deposit box, the coins were placed in the box, and Pierre took his key and gave it to Armand. He said for safekeeping.

Saturday night we stopped at the club.

“Peter, has James talked to you about Roberto.”

“Yes, I sent him a telegraph asking him if he was interested. I haven’t heard anything back.”

It was fun at the club. I haven’t been there except for meals for a long time. I got a chance to introduce Pierre as my son, I think they all knew any young person walking with me was my son or grandson or granddaughter.

I slept well that night. Tomorrow we would be flying to Paris.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 24
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

22 hours ago, akascrubber said:

Ok--Christian is a bastard who tried to steal Pierre's inheritance from his grandfather. Piere;s co-workers worked with Christian to get the cottage and find the very valuable royal gold coins left by the grandfather. Apparaently, Christian is not a good businessman and needs the moeny from the sale of the coins.

Colin will find out what the two thieves have to say and it might turn out that Christian is in legal trouble and wll not want to return to the US. Pierre and Armand will be flying to Paris. I bet they can get a real price for the coins . Armand might contront Christian and insure he leaves Pierre alone since his inheritance is safe and away from his capture.

Thanks  for answering some important questions and showing a way to keep Pierre safe.

It is interesting when someone's back is against the wall, family isn't safe. Christian's action is possibly based on two facts. One, he is in financial ruin and two, he knows that Armand and Colin are very rich. I'm sure Arnaud had made Christian aware of the success of "ARROW"

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
22 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Pierre is lucky that Christian didn't know about his coins. I hope the house is OK and that Pierre gets it back.

An interesting trip to Paris is coming up.

Yes, and we will uncover more information concerning our friend Christian

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
22 hours ago, mikedup said:

Christian and co are going to be paying a big price for trying to steal from Pierre, all hell to pay and pay they will. Pierre has realised that he is part of the family finally, 

Pierre has come to realize that family is more than the sharing of a name. He is now aware that he has brothers who will fight for him. He is part of a brotherhood that will go to any end to get him justice.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
20 hours ago, weinerdog said:

"I don’t think you’ll see Christian in the States.” I might have misunderstood that statement but to me it implies if Christian stays in France he is not in any legal trouble .The attempt to get the cottage which is located in France I would think would get Christian in trouble over there also.

Arnaud absolutely knew what Christian was capable of why else would he give Armand the coins

 

Just now, CLJobe said:

Pierre has come to realize that family is more than the sharing of a name. He is now aware that he has brothers who will fight for him. He is part of a brotherhood that will go to any end to get him justice.

It is sad when you realize Arnaud's actions now that we have an understanding of Christians's capability. He gave his family their share of the royal treasury, including Christian who inherited his father's share. I am sure that wasn't a paltry sum. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, CLJobe said:

How many of those coins do you have? Thanks, my friend

Mom's recorded family history goes back eight generations in France, and no gold centimes or other coins 🪙 found or spoken of. Yet my maternal grandfather and great grandfather (born in Maine but raised in Québec) had the funds to attend colleges and attain B.Eng & M.Eng degrees . Hmm? 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 1
  • Wow 4
Link to comment

Christian lost my respect for some of his past behaviours and now has gone too far.  I can only hope his actions against Pierre will be brought to court and justice will be served.  

  • Love 3
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..