Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 3,047 Words
  • 1,371 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

ARROW - 142. Chapter 142

Thanks to Colin, Christmas was on schedule. Santa’s mailbox was in the foyer, stocking were hung on their dorm door. The trip to the department store in New York City was on for the Saturday morning. The older children were given 5 dollars to buy gifts, Colin gave our children 20 dollars and gave 15 dollars to the older boys in the Home. Marie, our moms and some of Mom’s girl club came along to help the young children. Lois came to tape the children who opted to sit on Santa’s lap. I watched when it was Toby’s turn. Since I have known him, he hasn’t spoken a word. I watched, he sat on Santa’s lap, Santa said something, he leaned forward as to whisper in his ear. I don’t know what he said, but Santa’s face showed a concern as if Toby asked for something that Santa has never been asked for before. Santa looked at him, he kissed his cheek and wiped away a tear from Toby’s face. Then he said something, Toby’s face lit up in a big smile. I looked at Lois, she shrugged her shoulder.

When all of the children met Santa, they were taken shopping. The women took the girls, the older boys took the younger boys. Bought gifts were wrapped at a wrapping station, gift tags with names were attached. When everyone had their gifts, we headed for lunch. The store manager wished everyone Merry Christmas giving the children a candy cane.

On the ride home, the boys started them singing Christmas songs. Some didn’t know any, it didn’t make a difference, They were laughing and joined in when the words were repeated. Everyone sang Jingle Bells, the third time. While we were gone, the dads, with Charles’s help, had a Christmas Tree in the living room. The cooking staff had a hot chocolate drink for everyone. except the adults, they had coffee ready for them, in the dining room. I watched the kids as they came into the dining room. There were smiles but also tears on their cheeks. Christmas brings back memories for those that can remember. I looked at my boys, I saw the handkerchiefs dabbing their eyes. Looking at Colin, it was evident he also saw the tears. He caught me looking and blew a kiss at me.

After the snack, the children took a nap. They had a full day. Marcel was in the kitchen alone with James, Peter and Billy. The smells coming from the kitchen guaranteed I’d be staying for dinner. Mary’s girl club left but not before Marcel had a gift for them. I knew it was Christmas Cake which he makes every year.

“Armand, I have our gift for the boys, did you pick up our gift for the girls?”

“Mom has them. I’ll check with her?”

Mom had talking teddy bears for the young girls and make-up kits for the older girls. The make-up kits came with a visit to have their hair dresser and a beautician showing them how to use the make-up kit.

“Colin, have you checked on the boat?”

“No, I checked before I went to Europe. I’ll drive over after Christmas.”

“You know as soon as you give the boys those fishing rods, they will want to go fishing.”

“I’ll take a few each day on one of the small boats, I’ll tell them it’s training using the new rods.”

We stayed for dinner, there was no way we would leave with Marcel in the kitchen.

Arriving home, the ladies had a tree in our living room. I knew Marie was behind this surprise. Ritchie hugged Marie with tears in his eyes. Marie told me later the tree was new but the ornaments and lights were from the old house.

That evening in bed, “Colin, how do you fell about adopting a girl?”

“I don’t have a problem with that. Having Alessa here was nice. My concern was how the boys would react.”

“Do you remember that painting I did that is now in the Louvre?” “Yes”

“That little girl will be 3 after the New Year. Pat wants us to adopt her.”

“What do you want?”

“That painting bothered me, the idea of abandoning a child really bothered me. I remember holding her and feeding her when I asked Pat about her. Pat said one word, abandon. I don’t know if I could see her every day without her reminding me of that painting.”

“Armand, we should adopt her. If we don’t, we would be abandoning her for no fault of hers.”

I was shocked when Colin said that. I could never abandon a child and yet. I slept uneasy that night.

In the morning, having my coffee, “Armand, you look like you haven’t slept.”

“I kept thinking about that painting. I had a dream that I was at the Louvre standing in front of that painting. The Angel seemed to look at me, I felt guilty. We have to adopt that little girl or I’ll never forgive myself.”

Colin leaned over, looking into my eyes, “I love you.” He kissed me.

Colin went to work, I went shopping. I needed to buy Christmas gifts. I really needed to think.

Christmas Eve, the boys called their Nonna. Geno was there so they got to wish him and Angela Happy Christmas. Carmella went and rounded up the friends. They must have been on the phone over an hour. When I told Colin he said that was their Christmas present. I knew that wasn’t true.

Christmas morning we planned to spend at the Home. Colin gave the boys their Christmas gift on Christmas Eve. Without unwrapping the gift, they knew it was fishing rods. I looked at Colin, that wasn’t a surprised. Colin told them to close their eyes, which they did. I went with him and brought in from his car, four sets of golf clubs. Now when they open their eyes they were surprised. Along with the clubs was a certificate at John’s golf club for lessons. I looked at Colin, he smiled. Our family was growing up. By this time next year they will be taking driving lessons.

We had a quick breakfast in the morning, then headed to the Home. Our parents arrived before us and were having breakfast with the children. Our boys went and brought a roll and coffee for Colin and I. I also saw the crepes with scramble eggs they were eating.

Wishing the staff, Merry Christmas with a few hand shakes and hugs. Then I had to laugh. The children were lined up giving Colin and I a hug while saying Merry Christmas.

Hugging adults was one thing but hugging the children was something else. I kissed the girls on the cheek while giving them a squeezing hug. The young boys got a kiss as well , the older boys got a hand shake that ended up being pulled into a hug. Then we got serious, “Uncle, when are we going fishing?”

I left that question for Colin to answer. I was sitting in a chair, I had Maryann with her doll sitting on one leg. Louise with her blanket and sucking her thumb on the other leg. Toby not to be done, sat on the edge of the chair between my legs. He laid back with his head on my stomach. Pat excused herself, returned with a large envelope for me.

Tommy brought me a crepe. I held it in my left hand while I had a cup of coffee in my right hand. I took one bite of the crepe..I offered a bite to Maryann, I had to offer a bite to her doll also. Then I offered a bite to Louise and Toby took a big bite. I had a nibble left. I made a face, “What happened to my crepe?” The kids laughed. That led to a tickle. I heard a laugh, it was Colin. He nodded his head when he caught me looking at him.

All morning was like a show and tell. The children showed Colin and I what Santa brought plus their other gifts from staff. I tried to put my hand in their stocking, they pulled the Holiday sock away and then they would hold it open for me. I had a pocket of quarters which I dropped one in, as I hugged the child. Now they all lined up, I said for the quarters, Colin hit me on the head. The children laughed. I made Colin kiss my head where he hit me. Now I had to hit them and kiss their head. They came for a hug and a quarter and got a tap on their head followed by a kiss.

The rest of the afternoon, I played with the kids. Our boys joined right in. Charles and a few of his workers showed up with more toys, coloring books and kits of ships. He told them they could build their own fishing boats. Dinner was a grand affair, it was the first time I had plum pudding. Everyone was sitting when the lights went out, then the carts came down the aisles with plum puddings on fire. You could smell the brandy as the alcohol vaporized. When the fires went out, the lights came on. I heard a few sobs from the small children, they were afraid of the fire.

Later that evening, “We shouldn’t of had the plum pudding, it scared the kids. I think our boys had a good time. It was nice of Charles and some of his men showing up.’

“Why didn’t we buy those kits for our boys?”

“I don’t know. We spent our holidays at the orphanage.”

“When is the orphanage going to be torn down? It’s not only an eye sore but is dangerous as well. I would think the city was so anxious to get the property they would have torn it down by now.”

“They can’t.”

“Why not?”

“They don’t own the property. Yale owns it and the Board of Governors permitted the city to build an orphanage on the property with the understanding the property returns to Yale when the city has no further use for the orphanage.”

“You got to be kidding? All of that harassing was for nothing.”

“Now that I am on the Board, there are a few laws that no longer apply. There are laws on the books covering prohibition and women voting, they were never removed.”

As a result of the city wanting the property of the original orphanage, Colin ran for City Council and won. Beside running the club, working, and pleasing me, he has been attending City Council meetings. I don’t question about his work or what happens at the Council meetings. He doesn’t need me asking a lot of questions. I trust him and I know he will do the right thing. Pat and her charges are better off.

John, had another episode the day after the Christmas party at the Home. Colin and Mary took him to the hospital. They are going to operate, removing the inflamed tissue. John was worried it might affect his golf game. I laughed but Doctor Garvey said it was his way of coping. The day they operated, the family prayed for him. Our boys had tears in their eyes and if I was asked once, it was every half hour, “Why is it taking so long?” “Dad, Pop, is he going to be okay?” As a family, we didn’t go to church, we didn’t belong to any particular denomination, but that didn’t mean we didn’t believe. GG was my connection and the boys knew her as well.

We were sitting there for 2 hours when the doctor came to tell us it was over. Mary went to see him, Colin looked at me. I smiled, GG said it all went well and John will be as good as new.

John was in the hospital for New Years but was released the day after New Years Day. We gathered at his home, welcoming him home.

My mom and dad flew home the next day. I convinced them to hire a moving company to move them to their new home. Two weeks after they left to move, they were back. If there were any doubts the move was wrong, the boys handled that. I would hear, ‘“Dad, I’m going over to see Gram or Gramps.”

I had several paintings that I hadn’t completed. It didn’t take long, most just needed a frame. I took them to the gallery to sell, when Roger was there. He asked about Arnaud’s painting. I told him it was finished. “I’d like to see it.”

Walking back home, “Roger, what is Yale going to do with this property?”

“I don’t know. It needs to be cleared first. Are you interested in buying it?”

“No, this is a peaceful area, light traffic. You could put a park here, students could have their sculptures here, benches, old fashion street lights, trees and flowering shrubs. If I owned it, that is what I would do.”

Roger had been in our home so he knew where to go. I followed him up the steps to my studio. I stopped in the doorway and watched him. He stood in front of the painting with the sun shinning over his right shoulder. I waited, he just stood there.

After approximately 10 minutes, “Roger, what do you think?” He seemed to be in a trance, then he snapped out of it when I spoke.

“How much is Arnaud paying you? I heard you are giving it to him.”

“Yes, I told him he could decide the value of the painting.”

“Will you tell me what he pays you? In confidence. I think I know what he should pay you.”

“Yes, I’ll tell you in confidence, but first I want you to write down what you think this painting is worth. Will make a comparison, after he tells me what value he places on this painting.”

“I have another favor, l’d like to bring my better art students here to see this painting.”

“One condition, chose one or two students to give some of their time at the Home.”

“It’s a deal.”

Roger left, I was going through my incomplete paintings, when the door bell rang. Going down to see who it was, the phone rang. Opening the door, “I’ll be right with you. I need to answer the phone, come in.”

Walking to the phone, “Hello”

Aloud voice in French, “Why didn’t you tell me the painting is finish. Jean and I are flying over tonight. Have some one meet us.” Then the phone went dead.

“I’m sorry for the interruption, how may I help you.”

“We are art students..”

“Say no more, Professor sent you. Follow me.” I led them to my studio. The sun was going down but there was enough light. “What do you think?”

“Professor said you make your own frames.”

“Yes, I do.” The doorbell and then I heard Roger’s voice.

“He was a student like you all are.”

Roger and five students entered the studio. They greeted the other two. “You don’t mind?”

“No, you can have your class, I’ll go and fix everyone a coffee. Come to the kitchen when you are finished. I received a phone call from France.”

“Already”

“They are flying over tonight,” looking directly at Roger, “and want someone to meet them.”

“Okay, I’ll pick them up.”

I chuckled as I headed to the kitchen.

About 30 minutes later, I could hear them coming down the steps. I started to pour the coffee, I set out a pitcher of milk, the sugar bowl and a plate of James cookies.

“Help yourselves.”

“Armand, they have a few questions, if you don’t mind.”

I nodded, the first question wasn’t what I expected.

“As a talented artist, why do you make your own frames.”

“I could never find a frame that complemented my painting. So I took a course in wood working and make my own.”

“Do, you always gild your frames?”

“No.” I thought they are more interested in the frames than the painting. I looked at Roger.

“You have a painting in the Louvre?”

“Yes. It’s my understanding it is traveling and will be in New York some time this summer,”

“The painting upstairs is a commission painting?”

“Yes, it was commissioned by an individual for his son’s wedding.”

“Why the costume?”

“The individual who commissioned the painting choose the costume.”

“What are the chances it will go on tour?”

“Except for a brief visit to the Louvre, I doubt it will leave the private collection.”

“Do you set a price for your work or let it out for bids.”

“That depends, for a portrait I set a price, my other paintings a price is set by collectors. You can see suggested prices on the pieces I have in the gallery across the street.”

“The painting you have upstairs you said was commissioned, have you been paid?”

“Normally, a price is set on a commissioned piece but that painting upstairs, I’ll let the individual pay me what he thinks it is worth. Before you ask why, the individual is an art collector and a friend. He will pay me what he thinks it is of worth to him.”

“Professor told us for the privilege of seeing that painting, we would need to volunteer at a place called the Home.”

I smiled, “Yes that was the deal. Do you remember what that place was in front of my home?”

“I think it was a home for kids without parents.”

“Yes, and there is a new place called Home.”

“So what are we suppose to do there?”

“Teach the children arts. Who knows there may be a genius there,”

“Where do you buy your paints?”

“Professor, have you changed?”

“No, He makes his own paint as I have shown you all. Finish your coffee. We can’t tie up Armand all day. Each of you have the potential to copy him.”

I watched as they left after shaking my hand and thanking me.

I went back to my studio. I needed to finish several incomplete paintings.

Copyright © 2022 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 27
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Interestingly, the professor remarked to the patients that perhaps someone might copy--but not exceed Armand

 

He has the highest evaluation on Armand.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

Like others, my first thought was what could an unspeaking Toby 'say' to Santa? Pat said there was no medical reason he couldn't speak. Was a psychological trauma magically overcome when Toby "sat on Santa’s lap? Santa said something, he (Toby) leaned forward as to whisper in his ear. I don’t know what he said, but Santa’s face showed a concern as if Toby asked for something that Santa has never been asked for before. Santa looked at him, kissed his cheek and wiped away a tear from Toby’s face. Then he said something, Toby’s face lit up in a big smile". 

Knowing these children were from 'The Home' Santa should have talked to Pat or Lois afterwards. But by the end of this chapter it seems that little Toby, Louise and Maryann will be adopted by Armand and Colin (Louvre 'angel' and GG at work?)

Christmas went well for all, especially at The Home. Fishing poles for the boys means Colin, John (with his operation a success) and Armand's Dad will be giving fishing lessons. Someone (Pat?) should have realized a flaming dessert in a dark room may terrorize children orphaned by fire in a family home! 

With John healthy and back at the law firm, Colin has time to get elected to City Council (this will be fun!). One of his first acts may be to grant Yale a 'in lieu of taxes' concession in exchange for 'their' old orphanage torn down with a park replacing it.

Arnaud and Jean 's sudden appearance (via private jet from Paris), speaks to his wealth, and ability to pay for the portrait, but what will the price be? 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 1/7/2023 at 8:46 PM, scrubber6620 said:

Interestingly, the professor remarked to the patients that perhaps someone might copy--but not exceed Armand

 

He has the highest evaluation on Armand.

Arnaud was his star pupil; and remains his star.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 1/8/2023 at 3:04 AM, Frostyvb said:

Toby and the little girl both will be adopted and that will break the shell but Toby will start speaking. Your students will find one or two of the ones in the orphanage are truly good art students and will help them flourish.  
 

Yes, eventually Toby will talk The student involvement in the  Home, won't be as enthusiastic as Armand hoped

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Christmas was another enjoyable holiday, but the best gift was his parents moving close.  The grands will be much happier as they get more time with the grandkids.  I can also see both Armand's spending a lot of time at Uncle's House. Of course, both Armand and Colin's mothers will spend time together at the gallery. I expect those two will be planning or plotting a lot of things together as the have coffee or lunches there.  John will be back to golf now he has had the surgery.  I'm sure that he will convince Armand's father to partner with him at the golf course.  I personally expect at least three new additions to the family.  Toby, and the two girls are all favorites, and will give the grands even more ways to spoil the kids.  I don't think Armand's parents will have much time to miss their old home.  Arnaud's arrival will be exciting.  I do hope he has a chance to chill before Roger picks him up at the airport.  It's too bad the art students won't work out at Uncle's House.  Teaching their skills to the kids could have been so nice to see.

Edited by raven1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..